What CPU is better? Comparing C2D, AM2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

Once above dual core 2.6GHz or so there are very few games that will be cpu-bound in gaming. It's the GPU, man!

Don't spend more than $100 on the cpu. Jump on a e2180 and OC it or give the X2 5400+ 2.8GHz AM2 65W a spin ...

Fanboys :roll: Can't live with 'em ..... can't chop 'em up and bury them in the backyard!

Not 100% correct. UT3, MS Flight Sim X and Crysis can all display higher frame rates at 1600x1200 or lower resolutions assuming you're packing a 512 meg 8800GT or better.

This will only get worse in the coming year as more games based on the UT engine come out and/or 9 series NV cards come with the expected 2x performance advantage over current 8 series cards.

And of course there's the ever-pesent 3dmarkpeen.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: v8envy
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

Once above dual core 2.6GHz or so there are very few games that will be cpu-bound in gaming. It's the GPU, man!

Don't spend more than $100 on the cpu. Jump on a e2180 and OC it or give the X2 5400+ 2.8GHz AM2 65W a spin ...

Fanboys :roll: Can't live with 'em ..... can't chop 'em up and bury them in the backyard!

Not 100% correct. UT3, MS Flight Sim X and Crysis can all display higher frame rates at 1600x1200 or lower resolutions assuming you're packing a 512 meg 8800GT or better.

This will only get worse in the coming year as more games based on the UT engine come out and/or 9 series NV cards come with the expected 2x performance advantage over current 8 series cards.

And of course there's the ever-pesent 3dmarkpeen.

lol @ 3dmarkpeen. Yes! (Marv Albert voice)

Noted. Very few games.

I work on the theory that you buy what you need now becuase it will always be cheaper in the future (with the possible exception of sex :) )

I don't know what to think about NV9. I just hope it drives prices down and doesn't screw up continuing driver support for all the other stuff out there.