What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Are you planning to actually write this yourself or are you just hoping to get everything from ATOT for some reason?
Asking for a friend.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
Are you planning to actually write this yourself or are you just hoping to get everything from ATOT for some reason?
Asking for a friend.

No I plan to try and write this. Sorry I’ve been milking this thread. I’ll stop soon. I just need to find an idea that interests me for the scientist to be studying.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
He could study why it's taking so long for you to make a decision on something that's not even important to the story.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
Someone on reddit suggested Improvements to the learning enhancement tech the Kaminoans used on the Clones.

What could those improvements be?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Someone on reddit suggested Improvements to the learning enhancement tech the Kaminoans used on the Clones.

What could those improvements be?

AI-enhanced immune response systems that have an unfortunate side-effect that negatively impacts the clones' hand-eye coordination.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
I decided that I’m going to have my scientist study an astrological body BUT it’s something that we haven’t identified in the real world. I’m no good at physics so I don’t know what kind of new astrological body I can make up. Does anybody have ideas for a fictional celestial body? Like something in the class of a quasar or a pulsar or a black hole

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
A force bubble that appeared from the corpse of Revan and "Gestated" for a generation or two, where the consensus was that it was simply an "unknown body of energy" until this rotating science dude discovered that it was concentrated force.

...not sure why it matters, since you claim this is all entirely unrelated to the plot. ....why spend so much time over a meaningless detail? Methinks you aren't going to be able to write anything, anyway, and this almost reading like a troll thread, lol.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
A force bubble that appeared from the corpse of Revan and "Gestated" for a generation or two, where the consensus was that it was simply an "unknown body of energy" until this rotating science dude discovered that it was concentrated force.

...not sure why it matters, since you claim this is all entirely unrelated to the plot. ....why spend so much time over a meaningless detail? Methinks you aren't going to be able to write anything, anyway, and this almost reading like a troll thread, lol.

No. Why on Earth would I waste so much time on something if I didn’t plan to do it. Their would be nothing for me to gain. I like your Force Bubble idea by the way.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Pick up the dark energy plot from Mass Effect that got abandoned.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
I’m doing one last round on all the forums I posted on. Then I’m done. I swear.

I’m looking for something highly advanced.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
Ok
my scientist is studying sub-Hyperspace, the dimension in which quintessence can be turned into Phantom Energy and then travel to destroy star systems in real time. This is how Starkiller Base fires it’s weapon after draining a sun. (I’m sure Disney will explore it more in due time). However, in the mean time; I wonder what other things my scientist can study about it. Applications I’ve considered would be a sub-hyperdrive which would allow for instantaneous travel like Star Trek: Discovery’s Spore Drive. It also could be used for instant communications. Good stuff but too much of a gamechanger to tinker with. What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Ok
my scientist is studying sub-Hyperspace, the dimension in which quintessence can be turned into Phantom Energy and then travel to destroy star systems in real time. This is how Starkiller Base fires it’s weapon after draining a sun. (I’m sure Disney will explore it more in due time). However, in the mean time; I wonder what other things my scientist can study about it. Applications I’ve considered would be a sub-hyperdrive which would allow for instantaneous travel like Star Trek: Discovery’s Spore Drive. It also could be used for instant communications. Good stuff but too much of a gamechanger to tinker with. What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?

sub-hyperspace-powered remote prostate exams?

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
I’m going about this all wrong. I need an advanced but totally BORING detail intensive thing for my scientist to be studying. I WANT to start my story and this detail is unimportant. Does anyone have some science gooblegook that sounds coherent that I can use?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think snoopy already has you covered, 1 post up.

alternatively, just watch any episode of Star Trek ever, because there is tons of nonsense gobbledygook in all of those.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
I think snoopy already has you covered, 1 post up.

alternatively, just watch any episode of Star Trek ever, because there is tons of nonsense gobbledygook in all of those.

It has to make some sense. Submarines in sub-Hyperspace? I don’t want anything traveling in that medium. It will get to its destination too quickly.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
Any ideas on how bacta can be improved? It’s already synthetic and comes in a tank, suit, spay,bandage etc. I also don’t think it goes bad

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
I know I’ve been going nuts with these posts but I’m very curious about what a scientist could do in SW

I was asking for ideas on what a scientist could be working on in the Star Wars galaxy. However my list of can nots are more akin to what an engineer would be working on. Then I guess that’s what I really meant. So that being said I ask. What can an engineer in the Star Wars galaxy be working on?. He works for the canon New Republic.

Things he can’t be working on

1.) Dyson sphere- Believe it or not it already exists in SWTOR

2.) Matrioksha Brain- Computers aren’t that advanced. (HOWEVER, if you have a generic Star Wars name for this- I will take it. Matrioksha is Russian nesting dolls and would obviously not be applicable for Star Wars

3.) A Giant Underground City- Sullust has tons of these.

4.) Kransnikov Tube- Would be too much of a gamechanger for travel

5.) Ford-Svaitar mirror- Too much of a gamechanger for travel

6.) Nicoll-Dyson Laser- We already have the Death Star and Starkiller Base

7.) Space elevator- They have those

8.) Shellworld- Waste of time. Plenty of planets to work with

9) Alderton Disk- Too big

10.) Ringworld- Exists on Ringo Vinda

11.) Underwater cities- Plenty of those

12.) Any type of space habitat.

Any ideas?

Thumbs Up

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Wait... your scientist is now an engineer? So now is the engineer going to be called away to "investigate why a supermassive black hole is is more active than usual?" Engineers don't do that; scientists do. Your whole story is messed up now.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
Let’s say their is a galaxy or multi-galaxy civilization. FTL travel is mainstream and commonplace. The civilization has also mastered.
•Cold fusion reactors and room temperature superconductors
•Megastructures like a Dyson sphere, Matrioksha brain and Shakov thrusters.
• The full potential of genetic engineering.
• True A.I. and robots for every type of reason.
• Near full potential of chemistry
•Teleportation
•Time travel
*Applications of dark matter
*Artificial and anti-gravity
*Cloaking devices for ships and people
*Neuronium or other super-elements
*Neutronium or other super-elements
*Tractor beams
*Miniaturization tech (storing g large objects in capsules)
•Perpetual motion machines
• The full potential of nanotechnology
•Reaching the near limits of computing; having computronium.
•Intangibility or phasing tech
•Pico or Femtotechnology and perhaps even smaller.
•Immortality
•Nuclear transmutation
• Complete simulations of reality
•Mind uploading
•Regeneration of any body part
•Technology telepathy and psionics.
• Proving the existence of parallel universes and travel between them
•Creation of pocket universes
•Black hole power harvesting
That’s what my theoretical civilization has mastered. I know it’s a tall order but I’ve played with every idea under the sun. My civilization has created almost everything depicted in stereotypical sci-fi. Is their anything left in science that this type of civilization would be trying to create? I’m looking for a new idea.