What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
I decided to go with a quark star. It’s better than a black hole because we don’t even know if they exist. Perfect for expansion However, I still need something for him to be working on before he deals with the quark star. I’m looking not for a gadget or piece of tech. I’ve decided everything technological that we can think of, can be done. Speeders with deflector shields? Sure. We haven’t seen them but they can easily be done. I’m looking for something that would still be an emerging field of science. Something a Type II/III civilization would do next. Any ideas?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
edit: I really need to read the OP.

How about some kind of scanner tech that identifies force-sensitive life within a given radius?

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
What if your scientist is the one who created blue milk, and is working on some other food or liquid thing.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
My Star Wars story will now involve a scientist who is studying the ancient servers of the Holonet. As he learns about its beginnings, he thinks of ways he can make the Holonet better for everyone. What improvements can he make to the Holonet?

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
Im going about this all wrong when it comes to asking what idea I want. Im looking for a science thing that my scientist could study. On Steven Jackson games forum, someone suggested the migration patterns of Purgills. It would have been perfect except for the fact that it might lead someone to Ezra and Thrawn. That story will be told in the future. I want something unique but also a science that my scientist can study as his main work. Not an invention.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You want your scientist to "Study a Science."

I think you have a lot of kinks to work out before you try to dig in.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Geology of interstellar asteroids. Asteroid swarms are discovered out in the middle of nowhere, away from any solar system and they have unique properties so the guy is trying to figure them out.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
OH I know: this scientist is a space phylogeneticist working out the phylogeny of giant space worms and characterizing the apparent symbiotic relationship with mynoks.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
No offense to OP, but I don't get all the fuss about what the scientist could be working on before he is called away to look into what is the main plot of the story. You even said yourself, "I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific. "

And it has been almost three months. Seems like you're either trolling us or are just procrastinating so you don't have to actually write the story.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
No offense to OP, but I don't get all the fuss about what the scientist could be working on before he is called away to look into what is the main plot of the story. You even said yourself, "I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific. "

And it has been almost three months. Seems like you're either trolling us or are just procrastinating so you don't have to actually write the story.

No. Not trolling. Would never do that. I’m just a perfectionist. I’ve decided to use a supermassive black hole that is expanding as the main plot. I’m also writing a fantasy tale on the side but maybe sci fi isn’t the right thing for me even though I am obsessed with Star Wars.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
Geology of interstellar asteroids. Asteroid swarms are discovered out in the middle of nowhere, away from any solar system and they have unique properties so the guy is trying to figure them out.

I like this idea a lot. I’m thinking of using it. Can you elaborate more on what the unique properties the asteroid could have?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I like this idea a lot. I’m thinking of using it. Can you elaborate more on what the unique properties the asteroid could have?
The asteroids show chemical markers that suggest that they contain remnants of a past civilization and radioisotope ages that are extremely old, going back to the formation of the galaxy. A civilization of that period would have existed in an extremely energetic environment and the chemical markers may hold a key to entering such environments (stellar atmospheres, gas clouds).

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
The asteroids show chemical markers that suggest that they contain remnants of a past civilization and radioisotope ages that are extremely old, going back to the formation of the galaxy. A civilization of that period would have existed in an extremely energetic environment and the chemical markers may hold a key to entering such environments (stellar atmospheres, gas clouds).

Wow. Nice. Thanks!!!

Someone on writingforums.org knocked some sense into me. The Star Wars galaxy has had 1,000’s of years to develop stuff so all science left to do is theoretical or observational. I’m going to have him study asteroids. Thanks for putting up with me.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
I’m thinking about doing something related to Hyperspace. What science can my scientist study about Hyperspace before he’s called away to deal with the supermassive black hole?

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
Can a member of the repair crew exit the craft and perform repairs on the outer hull while in hyperspace?