What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 103 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jebidia

Feb 8, 2019
@jebidia
Sorry for replying late, i was busy with nvidia sli mod at https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/sli-with-different-cards.158907/page-121.
I will be happy to help you out,
What is your rev. number of your X99 UD4 motherboard ? You are using F23 bios
I will download its bios and mod it for you. after that i can guide you with next steps.
This whole procedure is not so difficult as it seems.

Thank you so much topmyseries5! I'm on REV 1.1 X99-UD4 with a 2699v3...Yes, I'm on F23 as well. THANK YOU!

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
Thank you @ topmyseries5! I was going to reach out...Been trying to flash this...I'm getting an "Invalid Bios Image" error...Tried on a Fat16 and Fat32 USB drive...Wondering if this has anything to do with it:

https://www.win-raid.com/t1361f16-F...ng-quot-Invalid-BIOS-image-quot.html#msg24127

I did try taking your modded file and running it through UBU, as I thought I read it removed some of these flags...no luck yet...

:grinning: that modded file is ready to use, no need to use UBU again. You can directly flash that.
I have already edited its microcodes for you

jebidia

Feb 8, 2019
Gotcha! I've tried it several ways before attempting to take it through UBU but I always got the "Invalid Image" error...I'll keep trying! Thank you!!!

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
Gotcha! I've tried it several ways before attempting to take it through UBU but I always got the "Invalid Image" error...I'll keep trying! Thank you!!!
do note that, you have to put FAT32 usb (with modded bios file) in white colored slot at back of your motherboard

jebidia

Feb 8, 2019
Copy that...I've tried Fat16 and Fat32 in about every USB port...including the white "bios" port...Our boards are so similar you'd think this would be a snap...I'll messing...Thank you! I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong...

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
Copy that...I've tried Fat16 and Fat32 in about every USB port...including the white "bios" port...Our boards are so similar you'd think this would be a snap...I'll messing...Thank you! I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong...
You're stuck at BIOS flashing step only. Once you finish this. Next steps are super easy if you follow my guide.
I am 100% sure that BIOS file which i gave you will work and it doesn't have any errors.

jebidia

Feb 8, 2019
I think I got it flashed through dos...Now I've copied the files over to the root directory on a FAT32 USB drive and boot into the UEFI Flash drive after hitting F12 and escape to stop the startup.nsh and get the shell prompt, but when I type in 'load fs0:\topmysteries5_boost.efi' it says the file can't be found...I checked the filename and everything appears correct...is there a way I can confirm the my usb is fs0?

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
I think I got it flashed through dos...Now I've copied the files over to the root directory on a FAT32 USB drive and boot into the UEFI Flash drive after hitting F12 and escape to stop the startup.nsh and get the shell prompt, but when I type in 'load fs0:\topmysteries5_boost.efi' it says the file can't be found...I checked the filename and everything appears correct...is there a way I can confirm the my usb is fs0?
sorry, i forgot to write that in guide. You'll see USB in the FS0 line, you may see it in FS1 / FS2 / so on too.
when copying .efi file to your OS SSD/HDD , you will see SATA , GPT in FS1 / FS2 lines.
If it says file cant be found then you have to try different FS* available in shell mapping table.

@jebidia ***If you still get problems or you got confused, then plz disconnect all USB storage device except that FAT32 USB. also disconnect all sata HDD/ SSDs except Windows OS disk.
if you do this, then FS0 will be your USB and FS1 will be your OS drive

Attachments

• fs0.PNG
    fs0.PNG
    50.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Reactions: Zladimir

jebidia

Feb 8, 2019
getting close! 1 question...does the '0' after 'bcfg driver add 0' refer to fs0? because I'm fs1 wondering if it needs to be a 1...?

jebidia

Feb 8, 2019
WOW WOW WOW! You RULE! Running 3.295 on all cores with a 103 Bclk...Beating on it with Prime95 and can't get a core over 50c...Incredible. Boosted my Cinebench score about 11%...See the before and after in the pic...

Do you have a bitcoin addy???

Attachments

• 2699v3allcoreturbo.PNG
    2699v3allcoreturbo.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 49

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
WOW WOW WOW! You RULE! Running 3.295 on all cores with a 103 Bclk...Beating on it with Prime95 and can't get a core over 50c...Incredible. Boosted my Cinebench score about 11%...See the before and after in the pic...

Good, congratulations. It seems you're getting x32 multiplier. You should be getting x34 multiplier, since your CPU has 145W TDP.
How many memory sticks you're using ?
Your score will surpass 3000cb if properly boosted.
My 2686v3 boosts to x30 only. If i enable 10 core only, then it boosts to highest x35.

* Don't stress with prime95 for too long as it puts unrealistic load. Your motherboard VRM temp may increase to unsafe level, because this turbo mod bypasses 145W TDP limit of your cpu to 240W+ TDP.

Last edited:

jebidia

Feb 8, 2019
hmmm...dunno...Running at 105 I'm getting 2859 in Cinebench - 18 cores at 3.359...I'm VERY happy with that...Is there anything else in the bios I should tweak?

jebidia

Feb 8, 2019
I truly appreciate your help...I think I'm ok stopping here...But thank you soooooooooooooooooo much! attached Geekbench score

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    41.1 KB · Views: 27

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
I truly appreciate your help...I think I'm ok stopping here...But thank you soooooooooooooooooo much! attached Geekbench score
:):):) Thats good geekbench score.
are you able to OC bclk anything above 105mhz ?
If you enable only 12 cores 24 threads, then you might get 105x36=3.78Ghz on all core, including AVX load, which will improve performance of applications which uses more single core performance.