What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 72 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kjboughton

Dec 19, 2007
makes no difference. Any other setting I can try?

35x_max.jpg
As @Dufus has noted, you're not going to see 3.8GHz in all workloads. The question is are you seeing some cores go to 3.8GHz? (i.e. 3.5GHz isn't the max you ever see for any single core, is it?)

Have you tried uCode 1Fh? That's my fav...

Reactions: sciff

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
I have dual e5-2630 V4 (QKRH) Engineering Samples running on ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS. Is it possible to perform the same exploit?
gXXDOot.jpg

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
I forgot to mention. Since it's an engineering sample, windows doesn't pick up what cpu's are running. Seems that only with the recent version for HWiNFO that I can see the actual CPU name.

RjuHZvA.jpg

I also updated my Bios today since it has better support for a GTX 1080 or so claimed by Asus (i have a 1070 but been having stuttering problems on SLI. Bios update did improve overall fps smoothness but seems to have changed the microcode too.

zoix9NO.jpg

Last edited:

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
Says who? I have never seen any direct proof of such claim.
I'm gonna review all the 72 page threads to catch up on all that I've missed out. This is not my area of expertise but I will see if the earlier instructions will work on engineering sample v4's. Might get stuck on the UBU portion as it seems to be aimed at Haswell-based motherboard bios. My understanding isn't clear as to how you go able choosing which replacement microcode to use.

voxjs17

Nov 8, 2017
X79 use E5V1 E5V2 can also increase frequency or lock all cores MAX turbo with the bios changing some old microcodes.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

I saw the comment above.
I am using Xeon E5 v1, v2.
The motherboard I use is the Huanan X79 Deluxe manufactured by China.

If you know how to do it, please share it.
Product Infomation : https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?&id=556169002451
BIOS Image : https://mega.nz/#!ASJlTKpb!faRd8fNna81QMYTIZ0iUvzeF39yuK2QpxPCzaMBAZa8

I can not speak English very well. hope you understand.

traderjay

Sep 24, 2015
If anyone of you geniuses can help unlock the V4 turbo then I will permanently 3D print your handle name and use it as a symbol of worthship :D

Reactions: sciff

proworker

Jul 29, 2017
This mod probably doesnt gonna work on branded barebone workstations like HP and DELL
Have a both z10pe d8 d16 do you have mod bios i try system stabiling system for infinite analiysys chess. Try it Good performance asrock ep2c612 . Try toplam system performance z10pe d16 vs d18 ty
This mod probably doesnt gonna work on branded barebone workstations like HP and DELL
I needed Asus z10pe d8 and d16 mod bios
Already time run system performance analiysys

traderjay

Sep 24, 2015
Have a both z10pe d8 d16 do you have mod bios i try system stabiling system for infinite analiysys chess. Try it Good performance asrock ep2c612 . Try toplam system performance z10pe d16 vs d18 ty

I needed Asus z10pe d8 and d16 mod bios
Already time run system performance analiysys

Hey are you doing this a V4 XEON?

proworker

Jul 29, 2017
Hey are you doing this a V4 XEON?
Xeon 2699 v3 qs 2696 v4 retail 2683 v3 and 2686 v3 . Try performance. Published custom benchmark suit . Sample 5679 to 256789 force or infinity analiysys
. I tried to. find the most logical and efficient processor. Ty

Dinkydau

Apr 1, 2012
I'm interested in this idea to "overclock" V4 xeons by changing (such as entirely removing) microcode in the bios. I'm trying to get an idea of what is even going on in this thread. What happes when the same trick that works for the V3 cpus is applied with a V4 cpu installed? Is it just that nothing special happens? Why?

if I understand, the best result that can be achieved this way is the max turbo frequency on all cores. Going even higher than that is not possible, right?

Is it possible to edit and update the microcode with custom speeds and other things, instead of entirely removing it? I recall reading about microcode requiring to be cryptographically signed by intel. Is that why we're limited to trying the versions that intel has given us?

ajschot

Feb 16, 2017
If you want to try in v4 you neeed to remove the microcode from Broadwell and not Hasswell so not from 0306F2 but (if i am right) 0406F1?

ajschot

Feb 16, 2017
Hey smart guys, i have updated my efi from v3x2_cp27.efi (one with mc27 in it) to v3x4.EFI (RC8 because i don't know how to compile RC9)
I run a Asus ROG stix X99 with a E5-2696v3 but i now get only 3,3GHz turbo in 1 core and multicore 3,1Ghz... it went a lot lower. (this is in Windows 10)
How can i get it up and what is the best EFI to use? The problem is i need a microcode for OSX otherwise the machine freezes. Is it possible someone can compile one with mc27 in it? I don't care if i have to change some bios settings to get the best result.
But this is worse then old v3x2_cp27.efi and wose then v3x2_cp39.efi

I just need the mc in the efi for osx

Last edited:

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
If you want to try in v4 you neeed to remove the microcode from Broadwell and not Hasswell so not from 0306F2 but (if i am right) 0406F1?

I read over the thread and came across one of the earlier pages where someone mentioned that this is a bug that only applies to Haswell chips. I also realized that there isn't efi drivers for v4 chips so I can't really test.

kjboughton

Dec 19, 2007
I read over the thread and came across one of the earlier pages where someone mentioned that this is a bug that only applies to Haswell chips. I also realized that there isn't efi drivers for v4 chips so I can't really test.

I say again, this has not been conclusively proved.
If you like, I can compile my EFI driver to target your CPUID.

dj_adam21

Sep 24, 2017
Hey guys I have a Hackintosh( with no Windows partition on it ) with and ASUS X99 AII running a 2996 v3 .
My question is : is it possible to run OSX on an unlocked bios and also is there a guide for beginers?
Maybe someone could be kind enough to patch me a bios on their machine for my motherboard