What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

C-Power/Tw0tch

Jan 22, 2017
@vadimkara, did you manage to make it work?

I have an E5-2650v3 engineering sample, CPUID 306F1, currently running microcode 0x80000013 as reported by /proc/cpuinfo.
I tried to run ucode-less UEFI and V3.EFI but got stuck on 79 as happened to @vadimkara.
Motherboard is ASRock X99-M Killer.

Any tips to this?

Did you only use UBU to remove the uCode? - That happend to me as well. After that I used MMtool to remove the ucode, and then afterwards open it in UBU and just straight away save it (without any other modifications, just saving it).

So:
1. Open bios in MMtool, remove ucode, save file/bios
2. Open saved file/bios in UBU, and save straight away (option 0 if I remember correctly) Don't do anything else.

3. Use the saved file/bios from UBU to flash.

Should solve the no-booting issue :)

Reactions: custom90gt

vercety

Feb 9, 2017
Hey guys! I finally managed to make it work! Disabling secure boot was a bit tricky on the mobo, but then was piece of cake! I got my 2686 v3 to max at x27 at cinebench (2.8ghz with 104bclk).

Cinebench R15 went from 2053 points
http://i.imgur.com/V8PsdpX.jpg

To 2473 points
http://imgur.com/a/7AcqV

18cores at 2,8ghz
ZucoJ9H.jpg

Also, if I only enable 10 cores on bios, it will keep 3,5ghz across all 10 cores (34x104bclk), suitable for gaming haha

8XxCaHJ.jpg

But when all 18 cores enabled, it will start dropping multiplyers after 7 cores 100% utilized, so effectively having this turbo binning (from my experiments): 15/15/15/15/15/15/15/14/13/12/11/10/9/8/7/7/7/7

Any Idea to boost it to 3,0ghz like Katlen?

btw, I am using microcode x27 (x39 performs worse)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dufus

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015

Try setting more reasonable targets for the cores.
E.G 35x up to 8 cores and sloping down to ~31x for the 18th core.

Also undervolting should gain you some speed.
>= -50-75mV offset should work fine, depending on your temperatures.

Reactions: Dufus and Drazick

vercety

Feb 9, 2017
Adjusting the multiplyers at Bios doesnt seem to have much effect. Are there any other microcodes I could try? It seems that microcode x27 allows it until x27 multi and microcode x39 only allows until x25 for 18 cores.
I am trying to undervolt to see if it works..

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Hey guys! I finally managed to make it work! Disabling secure boot was a bit tricky on the mobo, but then was piece of cake! I got my 2686 v3 to max at x27 at cinebench (2.8ghz with 104bclk).

To 2473 points

18cores at 2,8ghz
ZucoJ9H.jpg

Also, if I only enable 10 cores on bios, it will keep 3,5ghz across all 10 cores (34x104bclk), suitable for gaming haha

8XxCaHJ.jpg

But when all 18 cores enabled, it will start dropping multiplyers after 7 cores 100% utilized, so effectively having this turbo binning (from my experiments): 15/15/15/15/15/15/15/14/13/12/11/10/9/8/7/7/7/7

:beercheers:

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
Adjusting the multiplyers at Bios doesnt seem to have much effect. Are there any other microcodes I could try? It seems that microcode x27 allows it until x27 multi and microcode x39 only allows until x25 for 18 cores.
I am trying to undervolt to see if it works..

What workloads are you running?
If they are AVX2 then those clocks are exactly what is to be expected.
µCode 27 provides pretty much the highest clocks.

Reactions: Drazick

vercety

Feb 9, 2017
I tried with cinebench R15, R11,5 and cpuz benchmark, always maxes at x27 when 18 cores used. If I use blender (which I believe uses AVX2) goes down to x25-24

ajschot

Feb 16, 2017
Hi all! I just found out this yesterday and i bought the board (X99 Extreme 4) from
C-Power/Tw0tch on ebay (just found out) ;-)
know if it is possible to get the E5-2686v3 to all core turbo up 3,1GHz?
I am thinking about switching form my E5-2658v4 then to a 2683v3, 2686v3 or 2696v3.
But if multicore would be better in 2683v3 then i will buy that but also if rendering is just falling down to normal speeds than i can stay on my 2658v4 because rendering video and audio is just the thing i need it for.....

Also anybody did also geekbench tests?

Last edited:

ajschot

Feb 16, 2017
Seems to be working on windows 10 with a Asrock X99M Extreme4 and a Xeon E5-2683v3. I did the following…..

1. downloaded latest bios

2. opened downloaded bios with UBU:

-press “7”

-press “1”

-select anything except “0/skip” for Broadwell-E, as this forces the update (I chose the latest microcode)

-select “0/skip” for Haswell-E (this causes there to be no microcode for V3s)

-press enter

-press “0/exit”

3. flashed modded bios

4. followed (OS needs to be a UEFI mode install for this to work):
and

5. installed vmware driver/w 0x39 microcode:

microcode_amd.bin
microcode_amd_fam15h.bin

Before I was getting around 17000, now:
xeiccj.jpg

Thanks Dufus and The Stilt.
Ubu is temporarily removed :(

baudlord

Feb 14, 2017
Did you only use UBU to remove the uCode? - That happend to me as well. After that I used MMtool to remove the ucode, and then afterwards open it in UBU and just straight away save it (without any other modifications, just saving it).

So:
1. Open bios in MMtool, remove ucode, save file/bios
2. Open saved file/bios in UBU, and save straight away (option 0 if I remember correctly) Don't do anything else.

3. Use the saved file/bios from UBU to flash.

Should solve the no-booting issue :)

No dice, still 79. Removed both 306f1 entries and got a 79.

vercety

Feb 9, 2017
Guys, with your permission, I added some modifications to Dufus's & the Stilt's tutorial on how to flash with helpfull info I gathered when trying this process myself (and spending many hours on it) in the hope of more people joining the V3 Turbo club! haha.

Please, check it in case there is something wrong. Thanks!!

LET’S GO: (Warning: Process detailed for Asus & Asrock Motherboards)

0.- Windows has to be in UEFI mode, doesnt work on Legacy mode. Format it if necessary. Also, CLEAR CMOS your BIOS and reset it to default, just in case.

1. Download latest bios for your motherboard

2. Open downloaded bios with UBU (Uefi Bios Updater).

- Right click on UBU.dat, open as Admin:

- Press “7”

- Press “1”

- Select any value except “0/skip” for Broadwell-E, as this forces the update (I chose the latest microcode)

- Select “0/skip” for Haswell-E (this causes there to be no microcode for V3s).

- Press “”Enter”

- Press “0/exit”

- If ASUS bios, it will ask you to rename the bios to Asus Flashback Compatible, accept!

3.- Use a recently formated USB stick (better if its usb 2.0, 32gb or less, and use it in a usb 2.0 slot at the back of your motherboard):

To format clean and in GPT:

Open WIN+R > CMD

- diskpart

- list disk

- Select the drive, and reformat it: select disk <disk number>

- clean

- convert gpt

- exit

- Close the command prompt window.

4. To flash Modded bios:

- Instructions from this post for any mobo (http://www.win-raid.com/t455f16-Guide-How-to-flash-a-modded-ASUS-ASRock-Gigabyte-AMI-UEFI-BIOS.html)

- ONLY ASUS Bios: Flashing an ASUS BIOS file with the extension ".CAP"
These types of ASUS' BIOS files are capsuled and write protected, which makes it impossible to flash a modded .CAP BIOS the usual way.
There are at least 2 options how to solve this problem:

· a) Using the ASUS "USB Flashback" procedure
Many ASUS mainboards with an Intel 7- 8- or 9-Series chipset do support this very easy to use feature to get a modded BIOS flashed. These boards have a special "Flashback USB port" and a special "USB Flashback button". For details please look into your mainboard manual or at >this< ASUS site (maybe the Smart Redirect Addon has to be disabled).
Important for ASUS X99 Boards:
Users of an ASUS X99 mainboard should read >this< post written by sinders, before they start flashing any modded BIOS by using the "USB Flashback" method.
Procedure:

- Rename the modded BIOS file according to ASUS "USB BIOS Flashback Rules". The ASUS support is offering a tool named "BIOS Renamer for USB BIOS Flashback" for all mainboards, which support the USB Flashback feature. Furthermore the UBU tool offfers the renaming procedure as well.

- Copy the modded and renamed BIOS file onto a FAT32 formatted empty USB Flash drive and insert it into the special "USB Flashback port".

- Shut down the computer, but don't power it off.

- Hit the USB BIOS Flashback button. A LED light will start blinking. Press the button for some seconds (LED light should have blinked 3-4 times).

- Wait until the LED light doesn't blink anymore. This means, that the BIOS has been successfully flashed into the BIOS chip of the mainboard.

- Then all is done. You can power off the computer and remove the USB Flash drive.

5. Installing the V3.EFI driver:

(Some BIOS already incorporate the UEFI shell as part of the BIOS but if we don't have that then we can download one and put it on a FAT32 USB flash drive or other suitable boot medium and boot that.)

- Download the shell (shell.efi).

https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/tree/master/ShellBinPkg/UefiShell/X64

- Rename shell.efi to BOOTx64.EFI then create a root folder named EFI and sub folder of that named BOOT and copy the BOOTx64.EFI to there.

- Download 'V3.EFI' (V3.zip 633bytes) which can be copied to the previously formatted FAT32 USB flash drive. clear cmos and load defaults in your bios if you haven’t already.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/ck1mlr

- Copy V3.EFI to the ROOT folder of the USB.

- Get into the Bios, and Disable Secure Boot to be able to boot into the USB.
(Info for ASUS mobos (http://www.technorms.com/45538/disable-enable-secure-boot-asus-motherboard-uefi-bios-utility))

- Using the BIOS boot manager (F11 during BIOS boot on Asrock, F8 on main Menu in ASUS) we select the flash drive with 'UEFI:' prefix.

t5htat.png

- Here we press 'ESC' after shell is loaded to stop the 'startup.nsh' from running. 'startup.nsh' is similar to the old DOS '.BAT' file, just a way of automating things on shell startup.

k2n7q.png

- Our USB flash has been mounted as 'FS0:' as shown in the mapping table. Being the only USB device makes it an easy giveaway. So now we can test 'V3.EFI' which was copied earlier to the USB flash drive root by typing 'load fs0:\V3.EFI'. Hint, the TAB key can be used for auto-completion so sometimes we can save on a lot of typing. One should see 'V3 - All Turbo Set' if successful, something else if not. In this instance I've finished of with the 'exit' command which takes us back to the BIOS boot manager so we can select the 'Windows OS'. Alternatively we could have directly run Windows from the shell. For this system the Windows system partition is FS1: so being GPT typing "FS1:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BOOTMGFW.EFI" would do the trick.

2ia4kdi.png

- If we are happy with the driver and want to keep it we can get it to automatically load by placing it on the EFI system drive.In this instance I have copied V3.EFI from the USB flash drive 'FS0:' to the EFI system boot folder on 'FS1:' 'cp fs0:\V3.EFI fs1:\EFI\Boot'. Now using the shell boot configuration command we can add it to be executed before any OS with shell command 'bcfg driver add 0 fs1:\EFI\BOOT\V3.EFI "V3 Full Turbo"'. After that type 'reset' to restart the PC as the EFI driver has not executed as yet.

6.- Boot into Windows and do the following:

- For Windows 7 - 8.1 (including their server variants) update KB3064209 must be uninstalled, in case it is found in the system. This is a microcode update, which contains microcode version 0x2E for Haswell-Ex.
- For Windows 10 meanwhile is distributed with microcode version 0x36. To remove it, file named "mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll" found in System32 folder must be renamed so that the system no longer finds it

7.- Install vmware driver:

- Download the VMWare tool: https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vmware-cpu-microcode-update-driver

- Download the microcodes: version 0x27 & 0x39 microcodes for Haswell-Ex (0x306F2) in VMWare driver / Linux compatible format:

-> 0x27 microcode for best performance

-> 0x39 driver for better stability

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag6oE4SOsCmDhFnET3uw9wHeV4EA

- Copy the file 0x27.dat (or 0x39) to the same folder as the vmware utility and rename it to microcode.dat.

- Download & copy these files to the same folder:

microcode_amd.bin
microcode_amd_fam15h.bin

- Execute install.bat as ADMIN, to execute the script.

- Reboot

- Check with HWINFO (https://www.hwinfo.com/)

- If your turbos are working as expected, post in the forum your result! =)

Last edited:

lucien_br

Feb 13, 2017
Guys, with your permission, I added some modifications to Dufus's & the Stilt's tutorial on how to flash with helpfull info I gathered when trying this process myself (and spending many hours on it) in the hope of more people joining the V3 Turbo club! haha.

Hi! I managed to do it, but my boot is in MBR and Raid0 (legacy boot) and the overclocking needs to be redone with every boot.
Is there any possibility of booting always with the overclocking setting automatically loading the file "v3.efi" or will I have to format or convert my windows partition?
My Results:

tBINSa8h.jpg

Last edited:

TLN

Jan 27, 2017

What do we do with error "Error in Replacing Fille" on ASUS mobo?

TLN

Jan 27, 2017
Where does it appear?
When I start UBU.bat it says:
This BIOS on Aptio 5 platform, known issues:
- It is not supported by the update files in the GUID A0327FE0-1FDA-4E5B-905D-B510C45A61D0
- There may be problems with updating the CPU microcode

Press any key to continue . . .
I choose 7, then 1: Update CPU Microcode.
For Broadwell I'm choosing the last one, and skipping it for Haswell, In a second MMtool throws an error.
http://imgur.com/a/lSG62

TLN

Jan 27, 2017
I've tried running as admins as well. WIll try it at home once again.
Guess it somehow related to CAP file structure. In fact it says it might be issues with Aptio 5 platform.
It throws an error on 4th MMtool execution. (and last one).
If I hit Enter in that windwos it still saves the file, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea to use it.

lucien_br

Feb 13, 2017
My 2686v3 stayed at 2.9Mhz on all 18-core with the micro code 0x27. Is there any way to make 3.5Ghz in the 18-core?
O5dS315.jpg

SZAO6

Feb 19, 2017
Hi
I'm new at this forum. I found this topic, when I'm searching something about my fake 2683v4.
Just have once more questions about this OC.
I have for now 2683v4 will it work on Broadwell based Xeons?
If not, I still have 2683v3 for test :). Now I'm not satisfied with 2683v4 I have (It is an ES version, worse than 2683v3 1622 vs 1750pts in Cinebench R15), and I'm thinking about returning this CPU, but first I want to know, that will this OC work on a Broadwell. When not, I will stay with 2683v3.
Second question, will it work on a ASrock X99M Killer 3.1?

Ionstream

Nov 19, 2016
This exploit is only known to work for Haswell CPUs. It should work regardless of the motherboard you use, but the steps you take to get there may differ from those listed here.

Murilo900

Feb 7, 2017

To 2473 points

18cores at 2,8ghz
ZucoJ9H.jpg

8XxCaHJ.jpg

awesome man! can you please provide me the bios you used? I have an x99 deluxe and I want to do it too.

eded333

Feb 8, 2017
I'm curious, has anyone tried this on dual socket motherboard? I'm not sure I've seen anyone try this on the C602 chipset.

PS:
I've seen that KAL2017 is going to try it, lets hope it works.

Last edited:

SZAO6

Feb 19, 2017
Hi
Can someone send or upload here the UBU, because on the WIn-Raid forum it's not available for now?

SZAO6

Feb 19, 2017
OK
have found the UBU on internet. If someone wanted to, here is the link:
http://s0ft4pc.com/uefi-bios-updater/

Now I'm also done with the full turbo. In my case (ASRock X99M Killer 3.1) I have to put shell.efi renamed as Shellx64.efi directly in the USB root folder (it cannot be found in the EFI folder).
Have something done wrong by the way through modding, but finally get it.
Here is the screen:

Last edited: