What contact lenses do you wear?

thecritic

Sep 5, 2004
Hey, I'm thinking about getting contact lenses. What brand/model do you folks wear? What has worked for you?

I've narrowed it down to either:

AcuVue II ($120/yr)
AcuVue Advance ($140/yr)
AcuVue Oasys ($180/yr)
Focus Night/Day ($240/yr)

Anyone have experience with any of those four?

TIA.

rambow

Banned
Dec 6, 2005
I have acuvue advance, opthmalogist made me switch to them because my previous ones (dont remember) didnt give me enough oxygen.

feel really comfortable, i think im almost at four weeks with the same set and they still feel good.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
acuvue2 are ok and I keep some around as a backup b/c they are cheap, but my eyes tend to get more irritated with these lenses. I've been wearing biomedics xc lenses by coopervision the past few months and they feel good.

Your doctor should give you a trial pair of lenses to wear for a week or two before you purchase a bunch of contacts at once.

iotone

Dec 1, 2000
biomedics 55 premier. supposedly they are supposed to fit my eyes better because they are aspheric, but who knows. i know they feel more comfortable than the regular biomedics 55 i was wearing before.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I wear the Focus night/days now, but only because my new eye doctor was not happy with the ones I had previously been wearing (Frequency 55), which sucks because the Focus Night/Day cost like 4x as much:(

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Acuevue Advance 2 $18/box at Costco.

I have dry eyes and can barely wear contacts fro longer than 4hrs as they get really uncomfortable. The Advances have me around 8-10hrs in realtive comfort.

I stick to my glasses during work hours though and leave the contacts for nights weekends when I'm out.

The Pentium Guy

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2005
Acuvue Advance. I sure do miss the feel of the Acuvue II's though, they fit my eyes perfectly. My doctor said that's becuase it was tight on my eye, meaning not enough oxygen. The Advance leaves a less irritating/drying sensation on your eyes as compared to the II's though.

But in reality... the material to produce these lenses cost < $2. They're terribly overpriced due to demand.

-The Pentium Guy

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Oasys, not long though. This year I decided to try out contacts and I'm pretty happy with them. However I still wear glasses when I need to look smarter :eek:

msparish

Aug 27, 2003
Don't worry about it until you go to the eye doctor. Based on your eyes, there may be brands that you cannot wear, or even a specific brand you should wear. Your eye doctor will know what is best for your particular case.

Nov 3, 2004
i use acuvue 2 but it's because I ran out of advance, which I preferred because of comfort issues. THese dry out faster and worse

totalcommand

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2004
is there a way to get temporary lenses once your contact lens prescription runs out? I ran out, and haven't had time to go get a new prescription so i can order more.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
I use night and day. Sometimes I leave em in for few days in a row, but I take them out most nights.

MajinWade

Jun 22, 2001
I have dry eyes and use Acuvue Oasys and II. The Oasys feel great, but if my eyes get even slightly dry, the lens's bend and cause things to get blurry. This is due to my lens not quite fitting and there is only one size. The Acuvue II's are much clearer but much less comfortable. It's not quite as bad as having an eyelash in my eye, but still annoying. I am supposed to pick one, but I haven't decided which effect is worse. The last month I wore Oasys. If things didn't go blurry, I might actually forget they were in my eyes. If they fit your eye, I think they would be worth it if you have dry eyes. If you don't have dry eyes, it shouldn't matter what kind you get.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
go with the dailies.

they beat everything out of the water in terms of comfort.
Just put on a new pair every morning and you're set for the day.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
acuvue advance for me (got it few months ago after years of acuvue 2) and i couldn't believe how much advance can give me than 2. my eyes now can breath more when using advance.

advance FTW!

newParadigm

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2003
Paragon CRT (corneal refractive therapy). I only need to wear them at night, and where NOTHING during the day. They reshape my cornea while i sleep so that my eye is the correct size.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Originally posted by: newParadigm
Paragon CRT (corneal refractive therapy). I only need to wear them at night, and where NOTHING during the day. They reshape my cornea while i sleep so that my eye is the correct size.

does that actually work? my eyes are pretty bad..

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
I wear focus night/day. I take them out once every three weeks or so overnight and run a lot of solution through them. I usually use the same pair for about 2 months before I start to feel guilty/like I should put a fresh pair in. I've been wearing the current ones for about 6 weeks, and i'm going to see how long I can wear them for because i'm running out and really don't want to drop the cash on more.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
all your contacts R belong to me!

i wear mine at night, take them out in the morning, and have 24 hours of perfect vision, suckas! :D:D:D