What constitutes child abuse (Verbal and Physical)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Crimzon
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
Yeah, that's what i'm worried about. With the first police call he thinks it was the elderly lady that lives next to him. And I don't think he would do anything to her, however, I don't want her to be the scapegoat. He came up to me after the first call and asked if it was me. To avoid any conflict, I lied, of course. Who knows if i'm going to walk outside once and find my tires slashed.

I don't understand this. If you're going to call the Police and Child Services on him, when he specifically asked you about it why not admit to it? You feel the need to get involved, but only so long as you can hide?

However good your intentions are, I really dislike this type of behavior. Either make a difference, or don't. Make the recordings, write down the times, let him know you're watching him, or mind your own business and hide in your apartment.

Because even abusers deserve to know who ratted them out? :confused:
The OP is obligated to do whatever he can do to help that poor kid, but he's not obligated to risk his own safety.

Kudos to you, OP, for calling the police, and for doing whatever it takes to help that poor kid. He needs to know that this behavior is not normal, and if you don't show him, maybe no one will.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: sixone
Originally posted by: Crimzon
Yeah, that's what i'm worried about. With the first police call he thinks it was the elderly lady that lives next to him. And I don't think he would do anything to her, however, I don't want her to be the scapegoat. He came up to me after the first call and asked if it was me. To avoid any conflict, I lied, of course. Who knows if i'm going to walk outside once and find my tires slashed.

I don't understand this. If you're going to call the Police and Child Services on him, when he specifically asked you about it why not admit to it? You feel the need to get involved, but only so long as you can hide?

However good your intentions are, I really dislike this type of behavior. Either make a difference, or don't. Make the recordings, write down the times, let him know you're watching him, or mind your own business and hide in your apartment.

Because even abusers deserve to know who ratted them out? :confused:
The OP is obligated to do whatever he can do to help that poor kid, but he's not obligated to risk his own safety.

Kudos to you, OP, for calling the police, and for doing whatever it takes to help that poor kid. He needs to know that this behavior is not normal, and if you don't show him, maybe no one will.

I wouldn't do whatever it takes.

There are things that could stop it that are illegal, immoral, or dangerous to his person.

MrsBugi

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2005
My downstairs neighbor has an extreme temper towards his wife and child, wife is pregnant with another.

His voice carries through the floor so I can hear every word he screams at his child. F this, F that, you Mother Fer, don't make me hit you again you Little S, etc. This is almost a daily occurance. Now, about a month ago I did call the police regarding him because from what I heard going on below me, is he threw his son up against the wall. His son started crying and when he didn't immediately stop crying the dad told him to Shut The F Up or he would do the same. After he left the room and slammed the door I could hear his son crying for his mommy but mommy didn't come in, so I called the cops. Cops came, checked for bruises, then left.

Now, if the cops can't find bruises they apparently cannot do anything. Should I get CPS on this? Anyone dealt with child abuse and how to deal with it?

That would definitely constitute child abuse (emotional, verbal, and physical), and I commend you for being such a caring citizen. CPS should definitely be involved.

In my line of work, I have had to file several child abuse reports on a pretty consistent basis. :(

Since it appears you live in the state of Washington, you can file an anonymous child abuse report report this way.

Children's Administration offers several ways to report abuse:

Daytime - Find your local office number to report abuse or neglect in your area.

Nights & Weekends - call 1-800-562-5624 to report abuse during the evening or on weekends.

Hotline - call 1-866-ENDHARM (1-866-363-4276), Washington State's toll-free, 24 hour, 7 day-a-week hotline that will connect you directly to the appropriate local office to report suspected child abuse or neglect.

TTY Callers - call 1-800-624-6186 to place a direct TTY call.

Questions that will be asked when you call

1. The name, address and age of the child.
2. The name and address of the child's parent, guardian or other persons having custody of the child.
3. The nature and extent of the abuse or neglect.
4. Any evidence of previous incidences.
5. Any other information which may be helpful in establishing the cause of the child's abuse or neglect and the identity of the perpetrator.

You do not need to have all of the above information when you call to make a report, but the more accurate information you can provide, the better equipped the offices will be to assess the child's risk.

In many states, you can also file a child abuse report online (anonymously).

Thank you again for your awareness and please let us know how it goes.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
You said you were abused as a child, did you like it? Did you wish someone would have stopped it? You should call the police next time you hear it going on and file some sort of complaint with CPS. Don't just sit around and wonder what to do, it's obvious.

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
Here is my take. I current work in child welfare, in PA, so I really don't know the laws from WA. I cannot remove a child for abuse. I have 2 options, 1 File a petition with the court to remove the child, or 2 have someone Police officer or Doctor take protective custody. Without this I can't do a thing. Then even if I get to remove the child I have a hearing in 72hrs to justify the removal (even with the court order). Many times the child goes home at this point against our wishes.
Abuse can be hard to prove. Verbal (emotional) in PA needs a DR to say it occured and many will not stick their neck out on this. Even physical abuse the critriea can be a hard to meet. It has to cause serious injury, loss of function or serious pain.

So that is what we are up against. What should you do. If something is happening call the police, if they need us they will call, and they are better equiped to handle the situation. By all means make the referral, nothing may happen right away but with a history the cps workers will have something to show the courts when that time comes.