What computer parts should I upgrade for the internet

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by rayfieldclement, Nov 13, 2012.

1. rayfieldclement

rayfieldclement Senior member

What parts would you get to upgrade a Dell Inspiron 530 for use on the net** I was thinking about using a 750GB+ harddrive, 2-4 or more GB of RAM and I new graphics card** What are your suggestions? This ***puter would also be used for light-Medium games** What good Cheap color printer would you get? What else should I get? The price a I am thinking is around $400

2. DSF

DSF Diamond Member

What do you mean by use on the net? It looks like you've got a Core2 architecture processor, which is all you need. How much RAM do you currently have?

The biggest hang-up for gaming would be your video card (or lack thereof). Your PSU is also only 300-350W and is probably limited in terms of connectors.

Edit: Also not sure what's going on with these asterisks.

#2 DSF, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  3. rayfieldclement

I have 2GB of RAM
    OS is on drive C: with 160GB free out of 218GB
    recovery is drive D: with 9.27 GB free out of 14.6GB

I have Windows Vista Home Basic

I wanted to upgrade to a new Windows OS but I am unshure of what to get. Any thoughts on that?

4. DSF

DSF Diamond Member

On a side note, posting your name, address, phone number and email in your signature seems like a bad idea. I would strongly encourage changing that.

5. T_Yamamoto

T_Yamamoto Lifer

He's had it for a long time. Obviously haven't been to ATOT.

Can you answer the sticky.

6. DesiPower

DesiPower Lifer

I have a D945 LGA775 computer with 2 GB (DDR2 667) ram, and a ATI Radeon 45XX card, Linksys 54g PCI wireless card; it practically plays EVERYTHING without any hiccups or freeze, hulu, Netflix, Amazon, ripped Divx, H**264******

7. DesiPower

DesiPower Lifer

Looked at his posts, he has been on AT and P&N plenty, wonder how everyone missed it :biggrin:

8. Davidh373

Davidh373 Platinum Member

If you're thinking about gutting practically everything but the chipset on a computer that old... a SSD would be recommended ($80), RAM upgrade would cost $40, OS upgrade to Win 7 or 8 (~$100), then a GPU like a 460, or 650TI ($150+).

Add all that up and it's almost the cost of a new computer. Half the cost of a full blown system that will play anything on high...

9. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

I just don't see that rig turned into a gaming rig cost-effectively. As an internet surfer, it should be fine without any upgrades, although Vista can be a bit bloated. Try a Linux Ubuntu, Mint, or Puppy liveCD.

Save your money and put together an FM2 ("Trinity") gaming rig. That platform is very cost-effective for budget gaming.

10. mfenn

mfenn Elite Member <br> Currently on <BR> Moderator Sabb
    Super Moderator

We need to know more about what constitute light-medium games before we can make an intelligent recommendation.

As far as everything else goes, I would add this DDR2 to take the machine to 3 or 4 GB (depending on whether it has 2 or 4 DIMM slots) and a copy of Windows 7. Yeah you can get 8GB of DDR3 for about the same price, but you just don't need to get a whole new CPU and mobo to browse the web.

11. Insert_Nickname

Insert_Nickname Platinum Member

Agree. If you only want to upgrade your current system, save the cash and just get an SSD. That's the BEST overall upgrade you can do and the SSD can be reused in a new build...

12. DominionSeraph

DominionSeraph Diamond Member

I have an Inspiron 521 with an X2 5200+, so what we have is pretty close. I threw a 9600GT in mine and it pairs well with the processor.

Now, this is old system so it's a complete waste to put too much money into it. Thankfully, you don't have to. My suggestions would be:

Get Windows XP. It's night and day over Vista, and it won't give you the compatibility issues of Windows 7 for older games. You probably have a key lying around somewhere already. If not, ask around. Put a post on FS/FT -- somebody probably has one they'll let go for $5-$10.

I'd get this 6670:
    http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=70043&vpn=R6670-MD1GD5&manufacture=MSI/MicroStar

It's a good match for your CPU and it'll work with your stock PSU.
    It's on backorder, but $50 for a GDDR5 version is really good.

I'd pick up this RAM:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UAAVJQ/?tag=pcpapi-20
    Ignore that it says notebook RAM. 240 pin is desktop RAM, and that model number comes up as 240 pin desktop RAM on every other site including the manufacturer's.

And that's about it. Your 250GB drive should be plenty of space, as most older games aren't that big.

I don't really know printers, but here's an all-in-one for $30 with free shipping:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827526-REG

13. mfenn

Super Moderator

The OP already has 2GB, so a 2x1GB kit isn't going to help him if his mobo only has 2 DIMM slots (very likely).

14. denis280

denis280 Diamond Member

That's my opinion to.

15. DominionSeraph

DominionSeraph Diamond Member

The 530 has 4.

16. rayfieldclement

17. mfenn

Super Moderator

It can have 2 or 4 depending on which specific model. Check out pages 126 and 127 of the owner's manual.

18. sabahm

sabahm Junior Member

In my view, the answer will be RAM (if you want to speed up , a little bit)