What codec pack do you use?

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by berryracer, Aug 27, 2012.

1. berryracer

berryracer Platinum Member

Please don't suggest the Shark007 Win7Codecs that guy bundles a toolbar and is only interested in making money when I asked a few questions on his forums he was very rude to me

anyway, back on topic, any good codec pack? I know K-Lite, but is there anything else I am missing?

2. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

i use PotPlayer & VLC

no need for codecs

3. Gooberlx2

Gooberlx2 Lifer

You really don't need codec packs. On win7, install haali splitter for mkvs and you're set for most videos you'll encounter. On XP, just install ffdshow directly. DirectVobSub if you need subtitles for anime and such.

That's pretty much what the codec packs are installing anyway.

#3 Gooberlx2, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  4. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Diamond Member

[​IMG]

People need to realize it's not just about installing the individual tools bundled with it, the sources are modified to fix various issues and work together.

5. serpretetsky

serpretetsky Senior member

6. AkumaX

AkumaX Lifer

K-Lite Mega Codec, to be precise. Make sure you tick x264 playback for VFW.

7. rumpleforeskin

rumpleforeskin Senior member

Spot on, this solution will play almost any file without adding bloatware to your system.

8. zebrax2

zebrax2 Senior member

MPC-HC + LAV Filters + MadVR

9. evident

evident Lifer

i use cccp. only codec pack without any spyware or crap in my experience. used it for the last 5 years or so.

10. gitano

gitano Member

sorry i will keep recomending cause its a good configured bundle, the toolbar u can just click on the checkbox and dont install any toolbar, its only a issue for people who cant read for some reason.

11. jtvang125

jtvang125 Diamond Member

mpc-hc + ffdshow for bitstreaming

12. Auric

Auric Diamond Member

These. Also, CyberLink for Dolby Headphone since my receiver lacks such feature (ffdshow headphone not comparable -although ffdshow must be used to swap channels for CDH anyway).

13. Zorander

Zorander Golden Member

This.

14. berryracer

This is what I've always used however, the only reason I came here to ask for codecs is because I recently purchases a Samsung Galaxy S3. Now this Galaxy S3 uses a program called KIES to be installed on the PC.

If you access the pictures or videos folder of your phone from KIES, it will tel you some codecs are missing do you want to download them? if you hit yes, it downloads some Beta codec pack I think it's called My Codec Pack (beta) which I didn't want to start of with.

After reading a lot, I had to stick to the jerk Shark007's Win7Codecs and just uncheck the toolbar installation crap that he adds as his codecs are the latest and gives easy to use settings

thanks for all the suggestions though

15. Cerb

Cerb Elite Member

What doesn't come with crap like that, these days? Not much. Always uncheck everything extra in installers.

I use Shark007's. It needs some tweaking, but so far it's not broken anything. I can turn everything on in FFMPEG's options, then install Real Alternative for cook, and then worry about any details in MPC-HC.

To be fully honest, though, all codec packs are largely a matter of laziness. You don't need a codec pack. You get a codec pack because it's quicker and easier than getting all the esoteric bits it comes with separately (whatever MPC-HC and FFMPEG won't do on their own).

Until you come across a file that integrated decoders won't handle, at which point you'll need codecs. If you hate flash video players in webpages, it's really easy to get to that point.

Good players (MPC-HC and VLC) come with their own splitters for common formats, so there isn't even a need for Haali's MKV, usually. Integrated subtitle features don't work as well, though (MPC-HC's just shows nothing, and VLC's text is ugly on Windows).

What versions of what player software is needed for this? I have the standard stack of optical drive and mobo bundled player software that I never install.

16. Sephire

Sephire Golden Member

Haali and ffdshow.

Then I discovered LAV.

17. Auric

Auric Diamond Member

I use the audio filters from PowerDVD 7.3. With at least some later versions, the audio setting did not stick between uses (i.e. defaulted to two-speaker or such). Whether bundled versions include the DH licence is another question.

I was also using the video filters from 11 for HAM/OpenVideo acceleration with MadVR, but now just use LAV DXVA2 copy-back.

#17 Auric, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  18. Cerb

Cerb Elite Member

I'll have to scrounge and see, then. If it's not there, but they offer an upgrade path cheaper than adding a sound card with a good DH implementation, it aught to be worth it. For music, I'm more than content with my DAC, but DH would be nice.

19. Auric

Auric Diamond Member

I only use it for movies and prefer my headphone music unfiltered. You may find CyberLink Headphone included in the bundled versions and for movies I actually preferred that (or SRS TruSurroundXT), however only Dolby Headphone works with HD audio via ffdshow (but as said requires swap channels fix).

20. Cerb

Cerb Elite Member

Yeah, music is fine without any of it, but I sometimes watch shows and movies w/ my headphones, to not disturb anyone, and I like having software-independent hardware (USB/SPDIF/I2S DAC).

21. Magellan1

Magellan1 Junior Member

Yes, I use K-Lite too, it is clean and so far worked on every video format I came across.

22. kalrith

kalrith Diamond Member

For the past few years, I've used nothing but Haali splitter for mkvs and run everything in Windows 7 MC. Recently I downloaded some m4v files, and they would only play in stereo even though they also had AAC 5.1. I stumbled across the following thread that led me to install Shark007: http://shark007.net/forum/Thread-Trying-to-get-AAC-5-1-to-work

I used the recommended settings and then followed the instructions in post 2 of that thread. It did play the m4v files in surround sound, but it also crashed MC a few times and was slow when skipping forward and backwards. I went back to the Shark007 default settings and applied the thread's changes again. That seems to have fixed the crashing and still gives me m4v surround sound.

23. Shark007

Shark007 Junior Member

So you're back to using my software and calling me a jerk in the same post because I want to buy some groceries.
    I can only hope that you are unable to produce offspring.

24. berryracer

That, and for the fact that you are plain rude on your own forums when I asked a question regarding specific codecs you locked my thread saying "These forums are only for supporting my codecs" or "I am not here to Educate you"

I have yet to see a man on the internet with your mentality. Everyone shares information and I expected such a high caliber developer like yourself to have some class or at least you could've reworded it in a nicer way.

Why thank you my friend :whiste:

25. Shark007

Shark007 Junior Member

you're welcomed.