What causes someone to instantly get dizzy?

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Sometimes out of the blue I'll get instantly dizzy where it feels like I'm in a rowboat on 10 foot seas. Usually it happens to me while I'm asleep (I wake up right away and it will go away shortly) but it just did it while I was sitting here eating lunch and surfing online. I think this is the first time I've ever had it happen while I'm awake.

Luckily it's getting better and I think I'll be able to drive home when I get out of here at 5:00.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
No, I'm just sitting here in a desk chair.

I haven't had an ear infection since I was a little kid, and my head currently feels fine regarding pain.

I hope I don't have brain damage. :)

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Sukhoi
Sometimes out of the blue I'll get instantly dizzy where it feels like I'm in a rowboat on 10 foot seas. Usually it happens to me while I'm asleep (I wake up right away and it will go away shortly) but it just did it while I was sitting here eating lunch and surfing online. I think this is the first time I've ever had it happen while I'm awake.

Luckily it's getting better and I think I'll be able to drive home when I get out of here at 5:00.

Swimmer's Ear

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
I think I need to get a physical this summer, so I'll mention it to my doctor. Luckily I only seem to get dizzy like that once every few months. About the same frequency as when I wake up in the middle of the night from a throbbing heart. Atleast that problem is fairly common and has a name that I can't think of offhand. :)

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
I also get dizzy on occasion as well. Someone told me it's probably cuz my sugar level has temporaily dropped, tho' when I mentioned it to my doc, he didn't really seem to give a damn. (Granted, I've switched docs since then, but even this guy doesn't seem to be too concerned about it)

I seem to have it happen usually after eating out, especially if the meal was very oily. It happens once every few months, as well.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Originally posted by: djheater

Swimmer's Ear

I don't think that's it. Swimmer's Ear is an infection with puss and pain, and I have neither.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Actually that sugar level thing is possible since the last thing I ate before lunch was some cereal and a yogurt at about 6:50 this morning.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: djheater

Swimmer's Ear

I don't think that's it. Swimmer's Ear is an infection with puss and pain, and I have neither.

Not always.

It's a condition which implies water in the ear.
could be low blood pressure as well.
Could be exhaustion. I've passed out before after standing up to quickly....

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
I used to have that problem with low bloodpressure where I'd get faint after standing up quickly, but it's gone away over the last few years.

I seem to feel fine now, so I'm hoping it doesn't do it again while I'm driving home.

Kojak

Jul 31, 2001
I just got over dizziness that showed up around 5:30pm yesterday, which was still present when I went to bed around 11:00pm. :confused:

Sukhoi, do you have allergies? Possibly could be fluid in the inner ear.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
This is your brain on drugs.

This is your brain being asphyxiated (blood/oxygen).

Any questions ?

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Have you ever had a middle ear infection? (A.K.A. Labyrinthitis) Once you have that your balance is impacted for the rest of your life, and it can lead to occasional onsets of vertigo as you described.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
It can be anything from something simple to something potentially life threatening. See a doctor.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Do you have low blood pressure? Your blood pressure drops pretty low when you are sleeping so if you already have an abnormally low blood pressure one would expect you to experience just what you describe when you stand up quickly.

My doc put me on some blood pressure medication awhile ago and I would always get dizzy when standing up quickly.

What is your blood pressure?

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
I used to have that problem with low bloodpressure where I'd get faint after standing up quickly, but it's gone away over the last few years.

I seem to feel fine now, so I'm hoping it doesn't do it again while I'm driving home.

I think this about settles it then. Try drinking something with a lot cafeeine and I bet it will go away (should raise your blood pressure a little). I wonder how they treat this if gets serious and you're always passing out and stuff. Time you stopped exercising and hit McDonalds. Haha.

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I had a similar incident when I was lying on the ab machine at the local gym and I got up quickly after I was done. I felt dizzy for about 20 seconds, but was fine after that. Last time I measured my blood pressure, it was 110/60, not sure if that is a little on the low side.