What can't Windows 7 do that Windows 8 can?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Compman55, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Compman55

Compman55 Golden Member

If there is a link that will simplify that would be ok too. Just would like to know what windows 7 can't do that would justify me converting all my systems over.

XP is no longer usable as a main OS. Although it does have its purpose still. And I still respect it.

2. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Secure boot, free xbox music streaming, integration of your contacts into a "people app" which collects all your contacts from email, gmail, hotmail, google+, facebook etc and puts them all in one convenient place so when you want to contact someone click their name and you can hop right to the messaging app and send a message or email This makes it a little bit easier to keep in contact with everyone.

More under the hood things here http://arstechnica.com/information-...er-on-the-inside-under-the-hood-of-windows-8/

3. IamDavid

IamDavid Diamond Member

App store. Single reason why win8 will succeed.

4. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

The app store is more or less useless on the desktop since most things are designed for touch and most of the useful stuff has a desktop version anyway, but I see your point.

5. IamDavid

IamDavid Diamond Member

My kids absolutely love it. Simplifies everything down so far my 65 year old mother now installs her own apps. No touch screen on any of the 3 machines they use. 2laptops, 1pc.
    It does look like an IT managers nightmare! How to restrict? Gonna be interesting.

6. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

Windows 8 vs Windows 7

Metro interface and touch

Windows Store and Apps

Better security, cloud integration, better task manager.

Faster to boot and faster Desktop Mode.

Edit - Storage Spaces too.

:cool:

#6 JackMDS, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  7. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

I use W8 mainly for the better security features.

8. QueBert

QueBert Lifer

It has fast boot or whatever it's call, I hardly ever reboot so it's kind of pointless to me. But pressing the power button and having your desktop up and ready to use in just a few seconds is pretty damn impressive. I do love Pinball FX 2, hopefully they'll put the rest of the tables on the app store, if they do I'll definitely be buying them all. I don't like Metro but Start8 cost $5 so now 95% of what I do's pretty much like using Windows 7. Metro is nice for a few things here and there

#8 QueBert, Nov 5, 2012
  9. Subyman

Subyman Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
    Super Moderator

Biggest feature for me is storage spaces. Not quite zfs, but getting there.

10. kirant

kirant Junior Member

Tried the new Minesweeper? One word "ADDICTIVE"

I used to spend hours on that game and now they have made it even better + real XBox achievement points in a free game

Win8 FTW!

@Compman55
    Personally after the upgrade the system feel like buying a new $40 PC. 9 coverts in my group and no one is regretting. I would describe Win8 as basically Win7 done better and now with an app ecosystem.

I was worried about the "supposedly steep learning curve" as I spend a lot of time on the PC with work but it was all a farce as it took me exactly 5 mins to figure everything out. Just remember the shortcuts Win+X, Win+D, Win+Q and in the desktop mode Alt+4 to bring the shutdown options.

Off the 50+ software installed in my comp, not one has had any compatibility issue. And there are ones that I purchase almost 5 years back and ran with Win XP

Yes, your system will feel faster, my Atom powered netbook now feels like a laptop :)

#10 kirant, Nov 5, 2012
  11. KeypoX

KeypoX Diamond Member

Is there an equivalent to, windows key, right arrow, space to sleep your computer (after changing default option)?
    Im guessing something like Alt + 4, enter might hit the default in that menu? Maybe a down arrow will goto sleep?

12. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

I would just change the power key on your computer to make it sleep.

13. Rvenger

Rvenger Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
    Super Moderator

Everybody and their mother will now have an Xbox live account. :D

14. xSauronx

xSauronx Lifer

group policies. theyre sort of handy for IT management in a windows environment :)

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/10/going-to-work-with-windows-8-enterprise/