What can I use to season a steak for this recipe

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
get a "montreal steak seasoning" from the spice aisle at your grocery store.

simple and seasons the steak very well. i've used it with that pan-seared method with excellent results.

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
i don't know, but at the time of this writing, this thread appears underneath the current one, so perhaps it's telling you something.

montreal steak seasoning, fresh ground pepper, olive oil, worcestersauce, beer, garlic

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: tami
i don't know, but at the time of this writing, this thread appears underneath the current one, so perhaps it's telling you something.

Can you use a liquidy sauce for panseared? Sorry I'm a cooking noob.

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Originally posted by: tami

Can you use a liquidy sauce for panseared? Sorry I'm a cooking noob.

i don't make steak. i'm really not sure. go with the other suggestions in this thread. :p

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Last Rezort
White wine, soy sauce, garlic, olive oil, pinch of basil.
Great combo.
I made it myself.

Do u marinate or just rub? ANd it works just fine w/ pan seared?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
a little salt, a little pepper thats it. you want to enhance the flavor of the meat not mask it with other crap.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
For a pan seared ribeye like that, I "strongly" reccomend trying it with some nice bacon wrapped around the edge, although it's easier with a thick filet that isn't too wide.
It needs to be a good quality smoked bacon imo.

Last Rezort

Banned
Apr 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Originally posted by: Last Rezort
White wine, soy sauce, garlic, olive oil, pinch of basil.
Great combo.
I made it myself.

Do u marinate or just rub? ANd it works just fine w/ pan seared?

I first use a steak hammer to soften end then marinate. It is some what salty so its up to you how long. you can marinate it as little as like 30-45 min.
Afterwards i like to baste in on while it grills.
If you are in a rush you can just bast it on though if you do there needs to be a little more garlic, more past like so it stick on.

EDIT: im sure it would work with pan, but i would make a past of the rest of the marinade, then baste it on while cooking. Remember that a steak needs only be turned twice. Three times at the MOST.

Nebben

May 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Citrix
a little salt, a little pepper thats it. you want to enhance the flavor of the meat not mask it with other crap.

Only when you're cooking terrible, cheap steak do you want to use sauces of any kind. A nice steak should have some salt and pepper, and MAYBE one or two other seasonings such as garlic. IMO, that is.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
So how about i replace kosher salt with garlic salt. Two bird w/ 1 stone?

Last Rezort

Banned
Apr 16, 2005
Im not so sure ive not substituted, prefer not to. I wont say yes or no because i havent tryed it. Im sure it would be a little less salty but you might loose some of the steaks flavor. Whats great about this marinade is that you can still tast the steak, the stuff only adds a little bit.
Pm me and ill make up a batch tomarrow and give exact quantities.

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Instead of regular kosher salt try seasoned salt, olive oil, lemon, pepper.