What can I safely delete from a fresh Win 7 installation?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by shortylickens, Jul 25, 2010.

1. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

Sincerest apologies if this has been asked before. I did a search and couldnt quite find what I needed.
    I have a 30GB SSD and after a Win 7 install and most (but not all) of my basic apps were put on I only had about 2.7 GB free. I suspect moving my swap file to my 1TB drive will be OK, and I deleted Windows DVD maker and Media Center. But I am sure there are other things I could wipe safely. I looked around my hard drive and there are all kinds of unusual folders with lots of shit in them, but I know better than to delete without researching.

Some of the things I already installed like Chrome, ACDSee and my ATI drivers take up WAYYYY too much fucking space, but I dont think theres a lot I can do about them. But I know darn well the latest version of Windows has to have as much bloat, if not more than, previous versions.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - safely delete fresh Forum Date
    safe to delete old windows xp install directory? Operating Systems Jun 25, 2009
    delete safely Operating Systems Dec 14, 2005
    How do I delete a file in safe mode using the dos prompt? Operating Systems Nov 28, 2004
    which folder safe to delete off? Operating Systems Oct 23, 2004
    Safe to delete $NtUninstall* dirs in Windows directory? Operating Systems Sep 15, 2004

3. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

I REALLY didnt like when they tried to force Microsoft Search and Microsoft Help on me in Windows XP. I see Windows 7 requires them installed to do anything at all.
    If the OS was worth a damn it would keep important functions within the OS and not require online access and special databases and stuff. And search function should be a basic component of the file browser.
    So little tip: Dont uninstall either.

I recall one of my kooky conspiracy theory professors talking about how Intel and Microsoft were in cahoots with each other to deliberately bloat software in order to make business for new hardware. At the time I thought he was nuts. Now........

4. sivart

sivart Golden Member

Turn off system restore and that should free up a few GB's.

You can disable the windows 7 search function so it doesn't constantly index your files.

I've got Windows 7 home basic on a machine with office (Open Office), Firefox, Foxit Reader, VLC and a few other small programs installed and the whole install is 11.2GB of space.

5. snikt

snikt Member

6. Cattykit

Cattykit Senior member

Use Spacesniffer if you wanna know what's taking up your hdd space.

Avoid using certain Google programs such as Picasa and Google Desktop. Though I like them very much, they generate huge database files while giving you no option to change their locations (In my case, Google Desktop -> 3.2Gb; Picasa ->1.2Gb database files.)

7. Barfo

Barfo Lifer

8. zCypher

zCypher Diamond Member

9. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

I dont even know what google desktop is, but I do know that most pic viewers generate huge thumbnail databases, so thats a good one right there. I typically use ACDSee for that, and ACDSee lets me manage my database.

10. AtlantaBob

AtlantaBob Golden Member

Google Desktop was the (I say was because it doesn't seem to be that big now) way to index "all" of your computer and make it searchable through a Google desktop app. It was useful back in the days of XP (if you didn't have a good file system), but seems to be considerably less useful with Windows 7's search features, or, (IMO) the even-better Mac OS X Search,

11. thedosbox

thedosbox Senior member

Windows search is a part of the OS, and the index is required in order to return results quickly. I for one don't want to wait while it searches a 1TB drive every time I'm looking for a file. It also doesn't require network connectivity to work. I do agree it shouldn't be uninstalled, as it's a great tool for anyone who does more than play games on their computer.

Similarly, Windows Help can be toggled to only use the "offline" resources supplied with the base installation. Until today, I've never used it, so don't understand why you think it's mandatory.

You can try relocating your users directory to another drive, though it'll be a hassle if you have a lot of files to migrate.