What can cause fps lag one day out of nowhere that's not resolved with a new gpu, reset of windows, 32gbs of ram, and temps under 60c?

arsonfly

Jan 29, 2023
Motherboard: MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon CPU: i7-8700 Ram: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower iRGB 850W GPU: RX580 first, now RTX 2060 KO Ultra OS: Windows 11 Pro
I thought I'd fixed this problem with enabling XMP but no dice so I'm asking everywhere.
One day I open Overwatch 2 to play like I always do and it lags like heck. Every other game I've tried lags as well. They do a little better on the 2060 than the 580 but still get ~40fps when the 580 could previously handle 60fps easily. I've done these things to try to fix it:
  1. Checked task manager for services hogging resources
  2. Lowered settings (knew it wouldn't be that but I got same FPS lag)
  3. Ran Malwarebytes (I have Premium and Windows Defender. Nothing found).
  4. Reinstalled Overwatch 2
  5. Ran DDU, Reinstalled GPU drivers
  6. Check CPU temps
  7. Bought a new GPU since it was time anyway.
  8. Ran DDU in safe mode, installed NVidia drivers
  9. Reset windows 11
  10. Enabled XMP and bought more ram because I just wanna pay the problem away.
  11. Tried another PCIe port.
Lots of Reddit forums say UserBenchmark isn't to be trusted anymore but this is mine:

Has anybody heard of this? Any guesses. I've run out of things to try to fix it. I'm certain it has to be hardware related because it persists beyond a reset of Windows.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I'm going to assume yes, but have you updated the motherboard to the latest bios?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I'd wonder about the power supply, flaky power causing lower GPU speeds?

arsonfly

Jan 29, 2023
I appreciate y'all responding. It actually started working today. Still no idea why it didn't and why it is now. I turned on NVidia overlay to record the FPS and GPU/CPU usage and I was going to post it to YouTube out of desperation and Nier Automata loaded up 60fps like it should and played. Overwatch 78-80fps. I'm still mind-blown. Thank you for your suggestions. I'm going to just keep my fingers crossed the problem never comes back :D

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
There's been a lot of fuss in the industry recently about people not plugging video card power connectors in all the way. Maybe it was that?

arsonfly

Jan 29, 2023
They look good and I did a lot of plugging and unplugging while I was trying everything to get them to work. I did also unplug my pc from the surge protector and plug it directly into the wall. It's probably meaningless. For all I know some driver updated in the background and fixed it. It also started working after I posted here so maybe Anandtech hit the button :D

I'm just glad it worked, honestly. Gift horse accepted. Thank you for your help.

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
If I had to guess, maybe on-the-fly shader compiling? I had a similar problem as what you describe with Destiny 2, and weirdly ONLY Destiny 2, and after 30-45 minutes of play time it just......went away and never came back. Some games compile shaders while starting the game (Rainbow Six Siege does this occasionally after an update), some do it on-the-fly.

arsonfly

Jan 29, 2023
If I had to guess, maybe on-the-fly shader compiling? I had a similar problem as what you describe with Destiny 2, and weirdly ONLY Destiny 2, and after 30-45 minutes of play time it just......went away and never came back. Some games compile shaders while starting the game (Rainbow Six Siege does this occasionally after an update), some do it on-the-fly.

If it starts out janky and goes away that's probably what it was. Because OW2 started at 40 and as the game progressed it got faster and now it's at 80fps on 4k and 270-ish on 1080p.