What brings people to terrorism?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Omar F1

Sep 29, 2009
He's narrowing of the definition of terrorism to suit his argument, but the REAL spike was 9/11/2001, not 2003 as he claims. Take a poll of 1000 typical Americans and ask them when the watershed moment was for this country's awareness of Islamic terrorism and I will bet the house that more people say 2001 and not 2003.

And there was definitely "wow was it Islamic terrorism?" coverage for OKC before the facts emerged (and yes everyone knows it was McVeigh, that is not the point, it was seen as domestic terrorism, yes that T word)--that is addressing his "mainstream belief" comment re: Muslim terrorists; I remember how most people assumed it was Islamic terrorism until the facts came out. The Cole, US embassy bombings, WTC, etc. weren't covered as much as 2001 and beyond, but it was called terrorism back then and it still is. It's not body count it's coverage and labeling of events as terrorism that we were talking about, "you imbecile."
Lets draw a line here between what the people whish to do, and if they are truly courageous to do such.
Take for example the day after 9/11, how many Americans would liked to wipe the whole Middle East? but the most importantly is, how many of those were actually willing to pull the trigger to commit such act?
The same analogy applies to Charlie Hebdo killing and Muslims, and many other terrorist acts as well.

My point is, and far as the claims in ME goes, there is still a considerable chance that recent terrorism acts weren't done by Muslims from their general population, and if that is the case, I suppose it shouldn't be called Islamic terrorism.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Harsh-Mis.../dp/0312863551

200px-The_Moon_Is_A_Harsh_Mistress_(book).jpg

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Moderate Muslims need to defeat the radicals. I know we sparked and lit the fire over there but I don't think we can put it out. Right now many feel like this war is Christians against Muslims. That feeds a rallying cry that echoes back centuries. Why do you think Israel is not in this?

Wouldn't it be great if there became a global movement of the modernization of man where our apparently inherent and instinctual need to discriminate is shed. Just dreamin'...^_^

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
marincounty causes terrorism by being such a useless twat with stupid opinions.

Maybe if you pulled your head out of your ass you would realize what is happening in the world. I haven't been in a fight since 1972. You are really confused, put down the pipe.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
It's quite simple: poverty, unemployment and lack of education. All you need then is a group or individual who offers a reward here and promises one later.

You need to add either Religion, or Government, to the equation, to answer the ops question.

You can live simply, in poverty, and without great expectations, but when Government or Religion get involved, all is at risk, including the "self."

-John

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Cain was the father of all terrorists, he decided to create God in his own image and according to his terms but his offering was rejected and his ego was bruised,

instead of humbling himself and trying to learn why the God he believed would accept him didn't exist, he lashed out in anger at his brother and killed him just like all religious terrorists do when their beliefs are questioned or criticized.