What Bothered Me about Avengers:Infinity War

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
If you haven't seen the movie by now, then don't read. The only reason I bring this up is the continuing countless articles still being published about this movie and the second part coming next year.

I know the MCU are just movies and entertainment, but I feel there should be a bit more realism in these movies. So let's be a little critical and explore what each one of us would question about this movie.

1) How did a spaceship that large just show up above New York City? It didn't appear to travel to Earth the same way as the first attack on New York City, like in the 2012 Avengers movie. When it left Earth, it did seemed to travel on its own power (not jumping to hyperspace). Wouldn't this ship have shown up on our deep space radar upon approach? We have NASA's Deep Space Radar, along with NORAD's Eastern and Western Sectors, along with the Alaskan and Canadian Sector commands.

2) If this first spacecraft is hovering above New York City, where are all of the U.S. Fighter aircraft? For example, with a stolen aircraft out of SEA-TAC last week, fighter jets were scrambled within minutes to chase it down. Since 2001, over 4,000 Fighter jets have been scrambled across the U.S. for numerous reasons (like not reporting to ATC in 10 minutes because they had their radios turned down and didn't hear the ATC), the majority have been false alarms.

3) When Wakandan's determined they were going to be attacked, even though the rest of the world supposedly had inferior technology (although S.H.I.E.L.D.'s tech is on par), why was there no call for help? Several AC-130 gunships, along with A-10's, F-15's, F16's, F-18's, F-35's (F-35B's were flying off of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s flying super carriers), along with SuperCobra's, Apache's, etc., not even counting Nato, Russian, Chinese air forces, they could have done some serious damage to Thano's troops before they ever breached the Wakandan's shield.

4) The tech used to kill Thano's troops wasn't all that advanced. Bucky Barns could kill them with a fully automatic rifle, therefore Thano's troops would have been susceptible to any conventional weaponry.

5) To me the movie shouldn't have been named Infinity War because this would imply that all of Earth's forces would have been engaged in war with Thanos, not just a few super heros.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
The primary conceit of most superhero movies is that conventional military and police forces (or goons/thugs/gangsters with similar/equivalent capabilities) are incompetent.

Reactions: Zeze
Aug 11, 2008
OP, those small details bother you, and the ending *doesn't*?? What an absurd waste of time and money that movie was. They might as well have just put out a press release "They all disintegrate, wait for the next installment".

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
The Hulk getting ragdolled in the first 5 minutes made me hate this movie.
To be fair the first stone thanos has was the power stone when he fought the hulk and in the comics that alone was enough to destroy an entire planet.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
If you haven't seen the movie by now, then don't read. The only reason I bring this up is the continuing countless articles still being published about this movie and the second part coming next year.

I know the MCU are just movies and entertainment, but I feel there should be a bit more realism in these movies. So let's be a little critical and explore what each one of us would question about this movie.

1) How did a spaceship that large just show up above New York City? It didn't appear to travel to Earth the same way as the first attack on New York City, like in the 2012 Avengers movie. When it left Earth, it did seemed to travel on its own power (not jumping to hyperspace). Wouldn't this ship have shown up on our deep space radar upon approach? We have NASA's Deep Space Radar, along with NORAD's Eastern and Western Sectors, along with the Alaskan and Canadian Sector commands.

2) If this first spacecraft is hovering above New York City, where are all of the U.S. Fighter aircraft? For example, with a stolen aircraft out of SEA-TAC last week, fighter jets were scrambled within minutes to chase it down. Since 2001, over 4,000 Fighter jets have been scrambled across the U.S. for numerous reasons (like not reporting to ATC in 10 minutes because they had their radios turned down and didn't hear the ATC), the majority have been false alarms.

3) When Wakandan's determined they were going to be attacked, even though the rest of the world supposedly had inferior technology (although S.H.I.E.L.D.'s tech is on par), why was there no call for help? Several AC-130 gunships, along with A-10's, F-15's, F16's, F-18's, F-35's (F-35B's were flying off of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s flying super carriers), along with SuperCobra's, Apache's, etc., not even counting Nato, Russian, Chinese air forces, they could have done some serious damage to Thano's troops before they ever breached the Wakandan's shield.

4) The tech used to kill Thano's troops wasn't all that advanced. Bucky Barns could kill them with a fully automatic rifle, therefore Thano's troops would have been susceptible to any conventional weaponry.

5) To me the movie shouldn't have been named Infinity War because this would imply that all of Earth's forces would have been engaged in war with Thanos, not just a few super heros.

Just for fun.

1. Who says it is detectable by radar at all?
2. How long was it there, half an hour? Maybe the half dozen or so ready alert fighters did show up and did about as much as the Eurofighter Typhoons in Thor 2.
3. What do you think this is a Transformers movie where some guy can get on a cell phone and call up a wide assortment of military assets that just happen to be ready and nearby?
4. Agreed
5. Yes

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
In a universe where basic physics and anatomy laws don't apply (apparently mundane considerations like concussions and G-forces don't exist in MCU) and you're nitpicking over the USAF not showing up in a timely fashion?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
To each his own but I'd never question things like that... in a superhero movie.

By the way, "Infinity War" refers to the Infinity Stones, not to whatever you're referring to in point 5.

Drax is f'ing hilarious.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
1) OK, it wasn't Thanos in the ship (I was going to argue his possession of the Space gem at that point, which allows for teleportation anywhere in the Universe...but he wasn't in that ship...), His ships (in the comics, he used to just fly around on that throne of his), could just do that. Appear here, there, they just do that. It's like his power and shit. As long as he's in the same system or something. Whatever. Comic book rules, man.

2) see^. The thing just appeared, man. Also, you didn't see the entire scene, none of us did. We focused on the specific fights. Maybe a bunch of jets scrambled and were like....we're getting the eff out of here. Remember what happened when those space centipedes last invade New York? Not like they can do anything

3) Why do you keep harping on Military Technology? Wanda, alone, if unleashed, could destroy an entire fleet of the most advanced aircraft that any military would try to array against her...Seriously, that's the real problem: why did they hold Wanda back "just to crush Vision's crystal"?--She's really the most powerful actual mutant next to Jean Grey....she could have wiped out the entire invading Titan force on Wakanda if she wanted to. Now THAT is shitty writing.

...OK OK. why are you harping on military technology against demi-gods? That shit is never worth more than a single panel in any of the Infinity stories. Hell, this movie basically ended where the very first series began. Thanos instantly wiped out all these shit worthless earth-bound heroes because they are pissants, in a matter of pages. The story starts after he kills everyone and essentially no earth-bound or natural power can stop him.

..."Infinity War" was actually the second series, after "Infinity Gauntlet." I know I know,,,it's the movies doing their thing, but one thing they are trying to make clear even though they can't, is that there is absolutely nothing on earth that can really stop Thanos. It takes celestial beings and actual gods to do anything....I guess maybe Thor could count in the movies, but at the time of the actual story, that Thor was just a mortal pretending to be Thor (the actual Thor was actually dead, lol...and yeah that fake Thor suffocated in space and died).

...earth is kinda pointless in this. It's a cosmic story...but yeah, the entire MCU is really only focused on worthless earth-bound heroes like the useless Avengers.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
all of the OP's points are negated by the discussions between Tony Stark and Spiderman :)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
OP, those small details bother you, and the ending *doesn't*?? What an absurd waste of time and money that movie was. They might as well have just put out a press release "They all disintegrate, wait for the next installment".

...it was always the first part of a two parter. Did you not know that going in?

Also, this story only starts after everyone dies.....

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
The horrible tactics annoyed me more. You have a large group of ground-based attackers with no aerial power, you have several flying heroes that can nuke the ground, and you don't use them to thin out the horde before they get through the shield. Not to mention that most of the combat resembled a DCU fight, where you have heroes with tons of abilities that only fight melee and don't use any of their powers.

If those critters were even somewhat of a match for Thor and such the Wakandan troups should not have been able to do anything against them.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Oh, it bothered me, I was just warming up. I wanted to see what other's thought before I continued my list of issues.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
<snip>
3) Why do you keep harping on Military Technology? Wanda, alone, if unleashed, could destroy an entire fleet of the most advanced aircraft that any military would try to array against her...Seriously, that's the real problem: why did they hold Wanda back "just to crush Vision's crystal"?--She's really the most powerful actual mutant next to Jean Grey....she could have wiped out the entire invading Titan force on Wakanda if she wanted to. Now THAT is shitty writing.

Totally agree with this. She totally mind-f*cked the Avengers in Ultron and lasyed down serious hurt when her brother got killed. It almost seems like they've seriously depowered her.