What Blu-ray playback software are you using?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs' started by cbn, Jan 28, 2017.

1. cbn

cbn Lifer

What Blu-ray playback software are you using?

#1 cbn, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - playback software Forum Date
    Media server software and htpc software Home Theater PCs Oct 12, 2016
    HTPC having issue with playback of certain movies Home Theater PCs Mar 3, 2016
    How Can I Verify Proper 24p Playback? Home Theater PCs Nov 20, 2014
    3D Movie Playback Home Theater PCs Jul 13, 2014
    Strange playback issues...help? Home Theater PCs May 19, 2013

3. jkauff

jkauff Senior member

Depends. PowerDVD is about the last Blu-ray software left standing, and I use it if I want to access the extras on a disc. If I'm watching the main movie, I run AnyDVD HD which allows me to use the player of my choice. JRiver Media Center by itself can play the main movie on some discs, depending on the copy protection.

I generally use MPC-HC. However, any player I use for the main movie must be able to use LAV filters and the madVR renderer. With madVR I can control my HD picture enhancements instead of being stuck with those built into PowerDVD.

However, if you want "simple", go with PowerDVD. Beyond that, it becomes a time-consuming hobby (but the results are worth it, IMO). If you've never heard of LAV and madVR, go "simple".

4. dlerious

dlerious Member

dvdfab media player. Have latest PowerDVD but I haven't installed it yet

5. poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy Lifer

I use Kodi (the DSplayer fork with MadVR support) for Blu Ray playback after I rip the disks to my server with MakeMKV.

6. Dave3000

Dave3000 Senior member

What do you do when you run out of hard drive space?

7. poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy Lifer

My media servers use Unraid as their OS, so all I have to do is upgrade a smaller drive in the array with a larger drive from Newegg/Frys/etc. As long as my parity drive isn't smaller than the upgrade drive the array gets more space with no data lost.

Right now my capacity is over 50tb so it isn't really a concern.

8. bigboxes

bigboxes Lifer

Buy bigger hard drives. My file server has a 128GB boot drive and 8 hard drives with a total of 21TB of storage space.

9. bigboxes

bigboxes Lifer

I installed PowerDVD for BluRay playback. If I'm just playing the image then VLC or Kodi, depending on the computer.

10. Dave3000

Dave3000 Senior member

I right now don't have a blu-ray player. Well I have an Xbox One but I don't use it for blu-ray playback anymore because of dropped/skipped frames every 5 to 15 minutes. I have PowerDVD Ultra 15 Ultra but I don't use my PC anymore for playing blu-rays because my blu-ray drive is too loud during playback and if I pause for a long time when I get back to playing a movie, about 10 seconds later it will stutter because it's reading from what's cached ahead in memory and when it's done reading from the cache, my drive will start to spin up and stutter the video in the process for a few seconds as it gets up to speed, and it sometimes results in lip sync issues. My next blu-ray player will be a 4k one, and I think it will be the upcoming Sony one. 4k and HDR support is a must for me on any device I'm going to buy from now on because I'm going most likely buy a 4k TV later this year. In fact I try to avoid buying a normal blu-ray version of a movie if there is a 4k blu-ray version available which includes a normal blu-ray version.

11. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Senior member

AnyMP4

Plays all of my bluray movies from disc without issue.

12. ctbrown

ctbrown Member

In my opinion, there is no good Blu-ray playback software. I tried a number of different software players a number of years ago (including PowerDVD, WinDVD etc) and after much frustration, I eventually switched to standalone players...now using PS3 and some Samsung BD-player that I grabbed from Target. Now, each is connected via an AVR sitting next to one of my two HTPCs.

The scenario typically went like this...install software and it works for awhile until one day, you put in a disc and you are informed that you need an update to allow for playback. Grudgingly, you update the software and after attempting to play the disc it either still doesn't work or is buggy. So after multiple round of trouble shooting with tech support you are told that you must pay to upgrade to the latest version of the software in order to play the latest disks.