What bicycle to get?

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
With gyms being closed and me gaining weight over the last year, i think it's time to buy a bicycle. I used to do serious mountain biking when i was in my teens 20 years ago. Any advice which brand of mountain bike to look at ? I would prefer to stay under 2k.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
This is far too general to give you a good recommendation - are you looking for a hardtail? Full suspension? etc.

I think Giant, Cannondale, Specialized, Trek are still probably the best in that price range. Just is going to depend on what features you want and the components used.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
I would prefer full suspension but if not i can deal with hardtail. I used to do ride hardtail. Looking at prices, it seems like Trek might be out of my budget unless i raise a bit.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
Are you looking used or new? If a new bike, I would find a good bike shop where they can fit you to the bike and help you narrow in on the right one for your budget. It's more about what you want to do than any particular brand of bike.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Are you looking used or new? If a new bike, I would find a good bike shop where they can fit you to the bike and help you narrow in on the right one for your budget. It's more about what you want to do than any particular brand of bike.
Probably new, not everything is still open around here so shopping will make it harder.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Probably new, not everything is still open around here so shopping will make it harder.
Have you taken a look at Canyon Bikes? They are internet only, and so are priced pretty good. You will have to put some of the bike together though, and you should get fitted before buying.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Have you taken a look at Canyon Bikes? They are internet only, and so are priced pretty good. You will have to put some of the bike together though, and you should get fitted before buying.

No i haven't look at them. When i was 18 i was riding medium size however it's probably good idea to get fitted again.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
No i haven't look at them. When i was 18 i was riding medium size however it's probably good idea to get fitted again.
Oh yes, you are overdue for a fitting. If you decide to go with Canyon, you simply must get fitted first.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Currently shopping for a replacement for my sons bike and have been hitting up all the local bike shops
The question went from "Do you have <insert bike> available" to "Do you have ANY bike available"

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Currently shopping for a replacement for my sons bike and have been hitting up all the local bike shops
The question went from "Do you have <insert bike> available" to "Do you have ANY bike available"

Pretty much any entry level and mid-range bikes are impossible to get. My LBS just keeps getting SS track bikes mostly. For adult bikes you need to spend over 1K. The pandemic put people on two wheels. Definitely a silver lining though. Gotta go used if you want a more midrange bike.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Pretty much any entry level and mid-range bikes are impossible to get. My LBS just keeps getting SS track bikes mostly. For adult bikes you need to spend over 1K. The pandemic put people on two wheels. Definitely a silver lining though. Gotta go used if you want a more midrange bike.

It's nuts that even now bikes are still stuck in ports. One shop owner tossed around 2022 as when pipelines might open back up again to reasonable normal levels.
I've checked local used stuff but unfortunately I see a lot of "I know what I have" pricing mixed in with some shady looking ads.
At least parts seem to be flowing ok.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's nuts that even now bikes are still stuck in ports. One shop owner tossed around 2022 as when pipelines might open back up again to reasonable normal levels.
I've checked local used stuff but unfortunately I see a lot of "I know what I have" pricing mixed in with some shady looking ads.
Yeah thankfully parts are around. Got new tires for both my bikes and the parts to upgrade the drivetrain on my 'beater' bike from a 1x7 to a 1x9

Not sure where you live but maybe trying to start calling bike shops that are even a couple hours away in lower pop areas you might get lucky

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Yeah thankfully parts are around. Got new tires for both my bikes and the parts to upgrade the drivetrain on my 'beater' bike from a 1x7 to a 1x9

Not sure where you live but maybe trying to start calling bike shops that are even a couple hours away in lower pop areas you might get lucky
Sons current bike is a crap Walmart Schwinn Sidewinder and it wore out pretty quickly in our hilly area combined with his ride typical mileage and neglect of maintenance. It's still ridable and while I cringe riding it, he says he doesn't mind it. It's screaming for replacement freewheel and axle (worn sprockets and deathwobble) and it has those stupid twist grip shifters.
If the market wasn't so screwed up I'd just give him my Canondale Quick and then pick up a road bike for myself. The Canondale has been great but I'm at the point where it's lack of top end combined with 60+ mile rides is pushing me into the biker shorts brigade.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
did you find what you are looking for? i bought 3 bmx style bikes and 2 mountain bikes recently for very reasonable prices on the stupid app offerup and facebook sellers place thing. just have my wife look while she is playing on her phone and she finds the deals and i go pick them up.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
did you find what you are looking for? i bought 3 bmx style bikes and 2 mountain bikes recently for very reasonable prices on the stupid app offerup and facebook sellers place thing. just have my wife look while she is playing on her phone and she finds the deals and i go pick them up.
He's been so swamped with ap exams and other responsibilities that we haven't set any time aside to look.