• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

What back to work situations do you know about happening yet?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Post here if you know of any work situations that are being solidified now that Covid restrictions are being lifted steadily.

One of my best friends works for a large company. In his department, which is product development, most folks will have to be in the office full time again starting July 1st. They have to work in a lab situation, so are mostly technicians, chemists, etc...Managers in product development, like him, will get to pick 3 days a month to WFH. Pretty much the rest of the company, all departments such as marketing, HR, etc... will go to a 4 day a week in the office schedule, with Fridays WFH, also starting July 1st.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Post here if you know of any work situations that are being solidified now that Covid restrictions are being lifted steadily.

One of my best friends works for a large company. In his department, which is product development, most folks will have to be in the office full time again starting July 1st. They have to work in a lab situation, so are mostly technicians, chemists, etc...Managers in product development, like him, will get to pick 3 days a month to WFH. Pretty much the rest of the company, all departments such as marketing, HR, etc... will go to a 4 day a week in the office schedule, with Fridays WFH, also starting July 1st.
Most all of my friends work in O&G, they've been back in the office full time since last June. There's a bit more flexibility for WFH but those people are back to being viewed as lazy or not contributing.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Spoke to a few more people at different companies in NYC, all doing a 3:2 hybrid. 3 office, 2 WFH

Reactions: Oyeve

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Financial Services here. As of June 15th when California "reopens" we're going to a 2 on 3 off in office schedule with a sort of team A coming in for Mondays and Wednesdays and a Team B for Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Most of my team (~20 people) want to just come back full time and the company is OK with that. A couple folks have some child care issues and we'll be a little more flexible with them, but that's generally where we stand.

Dec 10, 2005
My company is letting people return to the office if they want. I believe you still need to register in advance if you want a desk.

Fortunately for me, I've been remote since late 2018, and will continue in my remote roll. Also, many other companies in my industry are fully remote, so little pressure to force people to return to group settings.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
Our company sets a tentative back to office date and then if things don't get better they extend it. So right now we are set to go back at the office by September, but chances are it will get extended. Some departments may also stick to working from home. We've had surveys and such to get our opinion on if we prefer working from home or not.

I don't think my department will get to work from home permanently, but never know... They do insist on having at least one person in office so we do have to take turns. Basically whoever is on 12h shifts is at office. I got my own 4k monitors at home but some people are moving all their monitors back and forth too, quite a lot of trouble. Wish they would just let us work from home permanently.

I have to admit though... I do kinda mess the interaction with coworkers, but given the choice I still prefer working from home. I think if it became a permanent thing post covid, we could just setup some in person meetings like every 2 weeks or something, maybe something informal where we just bring food and what not.

My dream is to get to a point where I have a cabin in the woods and can work from there. Whether or not we get to work from home permanently I'm still trying to find such property as once I'm setup I may actually start looking for a WFH job. Hopefully with covid there will be more of those out there now. Of course the downside is that there is way more competition so it's way harder to get in. So I wonder if WFH being standard is one of those "Be careful what you wish for" scenarios. Now you're competing with people from all over the world including people that have like 7 year doctorate degrees from Harvard etc. Suddenly a 3 year college diploma means nothing.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Still 95% "furloughed" here so no work from home or otherwise. :confused_old:

Business has picked up a little bit BUT the summer is the slow season for the limo/travel business in the NY metro area under normal circumstances anyway.

I'm keeping an open mind but at this point I'm in full search-mode looking for something better and/or closer to home. (17 mile each way commute currently)

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I was told we would find out more in September, but, it seems like thats when they want us "back to office".

Im not sure if they want the high productivity of people working more hours due to not spending 10 hours commuting each week, or, if they want people to be in the office to appease some idiotic sense of control. They can not have it both ways.

Nov 8, 2012
WFH full time before Covid. No one cares and no one asks as long as shit gets done.

My job is also generally sporadic in that I can have light weeks and as of late I've been getting more busy weeks. Point being - if I'm light I can stroll around and do errands - as long as when the heavy weeks come that I get it done as well.

jpiniero

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2010
Im not sure if they want the high productivity of people working more hours due to not spending 10 hours commuting each week, or, if they want people to be in the office to appease some idiotic sense of control. They can not have it both ways.
New Grads have to be in the office. It just doesn't work otherwise. They need to be micromanaged and that's difficult remotely. If your company wants to hire loads of new grads, you need your employees in the office.

There are also pretty obvious collaboration problems with remote. You should have encountered this if you have been working remotely during this.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
They still only have an interim policy but I'll likely only be in the office a few days a month. We'll see how that goes but I really don't need to be in the office. If I get excluded a bit because I'm more remote than othes... well I could use about 25% less work than I have now so that might be a plus

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
I run a small family-owned retail clothing store. My work situation is simple. WHEN restrictions of operation of such stores are lifted so it is allowed to open, it's either I am there or there is NO sales income.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
New Grads have to be in the office. It just doesn't work otherwise. They need to be micromanaged and that's difficult remotely. If your company wants to hire loads of new grads, you need your employees in the office.

There are also pretty obvious collaboration problems with remote. You should have encountered this if you have been working remotely during this.
We had collaboration problems when they kept adding satellite buildings in the general vicinity of the corporate campus, but far enough away that you'd need to drive to get to other buildings Instead of a 5 min walk to the next building, it was a 20 min drive. Then, collaboration problems got worse after various mergers and acquisitions and we found ourselves working with teams in Italy, India, Mexico, and various other parts of the world. Also, going from assigned seating in cubes/offices to open floor plan, i never had any idea where to find folks other than the dozen or so people who generally sat in the same viscinity as myself.
Anyhow, people ping me over teams ,or call me, or invite me to conf calls, and reach me easier now than when I am in the office since I don't answer or reply to emails, teams chat, etc when im commuting.

I wish they would hire new people, but, the "new people" they usually hire are all senior/experienced people.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I was 100% WFH before the pandemic and will be after. I hope to never work in an office again and since I’m inching towards retirement, I think that’s an attainable goal.

They started my wife back to the office 1 day per week starting last week. They’ll eventually up it to 2 days and by September, she’ll work 3 days in the office and 2 days at home. Before the pandemic, I think she usually only worked 1 day per week from home so at least she gets an extra day.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I work for a large health insurance company, with each state run independently. We have about 2000 employees, all of which have been WFH since last March. Exec leadership and the board set directives as to positivity rate, ICU beds, and other metrics that had to be met for 2 months before returning to office. Our first employees returning with be in July, and those need to be vaccinated. For the foreseeable future, never will more than 25% of the work force will be in the office at a time. The schedule for those returning they will go in one day per pay period (2 weeks).

In other words, very cautious, and slow. We've done a remarkable job with everyone WFH. There have been no gaps in customer service or in IT. Several people in IT have had to go in for various things (work on the raised floor, do testing, etc) and we always had to get explicit permission from executive leadership.

K1052

Lifer
Aug 21, 2003
I was already WFH before this began.

Husband working big tech has been going into the office about 3-4 days a week recently. Officially everybody is due back on hybrid 3 out of 5 days after the summer.

ASK THE COMMUNITY