What automotive insurance company do you use?

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
Since it seems that 21st century is a bit on the expensive side (for me at least), what other companies do you guys use?

So far i've checked State Farm, Progressive, Geico. I'll be visiting a State Farm and Farmers office today. Mercury insurance's website spazzed out right before they were about to give me the quote.

ANNDD, from your experiences, how is/was your current/last insurance co.?

Spac3d

Banned
Jul 3, 2001
Nationwide. Their rates are high.... but they paid out pretty quickly when my car was totaled. We have yet to see the increase in premium yet.

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
I use State Farm. Been with them ever since I got my license. My rates are pretty decent. Of course I've never had to file a claim or been involved in an accident.

They say with insurance the real test is how the company acts when you file a claim.

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
21st Century. Cheaper than the competition for me (among the names I recognized).

-geoff

Narse

Moderator<br>Computer Help
Mar 14, 2000
Nationwide for me and my wife, Rates are a bit higher, but you always get what you pay for.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just switched this year to Brindley Insurance from Farm Bureau. Great rates and great people to deal with. Saved me close to $200 every 3 months. This may be a local company though. Not sure?

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: 40oz
USAA can only getif you are a service member or a child of one

AFAIK, they used to only insure officers and their immediate family. Not too long ago, they created another company within USAA for NCO's.

I've been with USAA for 15 years.

Splork

Oct 9, 1999
My Fiance uses progressive. She was in an accident a few weeks ago, and exactly 1 week after she file the claim we had a check in our mail box. Rates are a bit iffy, but the service was really good. Have fun looking.

-sp

Oct 9, 1999
21st century was 100 bucks / 6 mo per car (2 cars) cheaper than geico.. saving about 400 per year.

but i felt i got better deal with 21st centuries coverage.. 300/300K liablity, towing etc etc.. rental car.. i think i got a better deal.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Can you not get on your parents' policy? If I wasn't I probably couldn't have afforded 21st Century when I first started driving. And actually, it shouldn't be too terrible since you are living at home. I know the price they quoted me for having my own insurance was acutally about $40 cheaper, assuming I was living at home.

Also, avoid Mercury at all costs. They suck and you will have a hard time getting a claim paid.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
(general) Electric Insurance, if you have a clean record for 3+yrs (maybe 5) they had the best rate of all the above mentioned.

Similar in operation to Geico (no agents). Available to most people in most states.

Give 'em a call, you could save some $$$. I haven't had to make any claims w/ them but so far they've been very up & up, no surprise increases or games.

RgrPark

Golden Member
Mar 11, 2000
USAA <--- I used to use Progressive cuz they were the heapest...until i found USAA...the cheapest and THE BEST. by far.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
AAA. Not the cheapest, but worth it.

21st Century can bite me. Lets see those guys go three months without a car. Mercury is boarderline fraudulant.

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
So far it almost seems like auto insurance companies parallel cellular service companies. Differing problems/results for everybody :confused:

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
AAA...I've had my Jeep towed freely more times then I'd like to count.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I use Geico. When I was 16, they quoted me some ridiculous price. It was obvious they didn't want me as a customer being that young. I went elsewhere and got a decent price... then around 23, I switched back to Geico and they're the cheapest for me now...

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Allstate. They quoted me a decent rate and got me back from Progressive. Best of all, my agent's office is only 4 blocks away, on my way to/from school, so it's very convient for me. It's easier for me to pay my premium right at her office than to mail a check.

I get a discount from Allstate on auto when I purchase a renter's policy, and since I let my last renter's policy lapse recently, I now get renter's and auto from one place.

jteef

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2001
so what is the deal with USAA? I should be a 2nd LT in a few months. I pay $600 a year on my 88 ranger 4x4 supercab through my dad's policy with Allstate ( We have 5 cars, 2 houses, and 3 boats with them ). I submitted one claim through them ( I rear-ended a RAV 4 going no more than 5mph, guy claimed $2800 in damage to his car, there was absolutely none to mine, so I called Allstate up and never heard from either of them again...talk about service! ) My rates didn't go up then and come september or october it will have been 3 years since it happened. I plan on replacing my truck with something a lot faster and more nimble( E36 M3 prolly ) once I settle into my first assignment. Would USAA make me get some sort of indemnity insurance thats gonna run 3 grand / year? or am I better off staying on my dad's policy.