What ATX case do you think has the highest airflow to dust accumulation ratio?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I got to wondering about this after watching the following Linus video:

(The goal of this hypothetical case would be to house a powerful Xeon or Threadripper processor along with quad GPUs.)

P.S. Two cases (as reference points) to think about here (has HEPA filter) and here (has 2 x 200mm front fans).

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Another reference point to consider would be the Corsair Air 540 used for the Nvidia Digits Dev Box:

http://www.legitreviews.com/nvidia-digits-devbox-promotes-deep-learning-titanx_160343

nvidia-digits-back-645x558.jpg

Front fans are 3 x 120mm or (as seen in the picture above) 2 x 140mm.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
That silverstone case is really cool, though I am sure the HEPA really cuts down air flow a lot.

Usually anything that improves air flow increases dust.

Properties to look for:
Filters on all intakes, and balanced airflow:

Filter quality:
Usually a trade-off of more restrictive for air flow, means less dust and vice versa. Though you could just have a bad filter that has too much blocking area, that just needlessly blocks airflow. The better filter would still have small enough holes but the maximum amount of them.
Filter Size: Bigger is better. Ideally you want a largest filter area and space between fan and filter so hte fan can pull through the whole filter.

Just enough air flow: fan control to minimize air flow and dust when computer isn't running hard, and not going overboard on fans.

Overall I like the Fractal Define models. The big front filter seems actually spread filtering over a large area, and filters are usually included for top, bottom, front back. If you have a model with a door like a R5, R6, you can open it for a boost in airflow when you really need it. They are actually very good airflow cases when the door is open.

Reactions: cbn

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
yea...kind of moot point. More airflow is more airflow..directly effecting dust collection. You can just ask yourself which case has the best airflow.. dust collection has nothing to do with it really. Instead dust collection is directly related to the quality of the filters used, and just how dirty your room is. If dust is an issue.. clean your pig sty up and quit smoking. :)

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Interesting.....I found out K&N airfilters have been used with computers:

https://www.knfilters.com/blog/comp...r-uses-kn-air-filters-to-reduce-service-calls

Maddox said he wanted to improve the way he worked and went on a search for the right filter. “HEPA filters are not reusable and depending on the size of the filter can cost up to $30.00 a month,”

With K&N’s multi layers of oiled cotton gauge, dirt is captured by tiny cotton fibers as it attempts to travel through a passageway. This area is designed to change and alter the direction of dirt particles. As a K&N filter is used its efficiency rating goes up. It’s true the filter gets better as it gets dirty.

P.S. K&N filters are re-usable. Simply wash and re-oil.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017

Standard computer filter. Pop it off, give few bangs at garbage can, and most of the dust comes off, done in 2 minutes.

K&N, take it off, soak in poisonous chemicals, rinse it off, shake out excess water, let it dry completely (probably overnight) soak with poisonous, flammable oil, insert oily(and probably smelly) mess into PC. Yeah, why wouldn't I want that? ;)
51%2Bj49ySokL.jpg

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
insert oily(and probably smelly) mess into PC.

New K&N filters come pre-oiled and are dry to the touch.

....And the instructions for re-oiling say a person is to wait 20 minutes to let the oil wick into the filter:

https://www.knfilters.com/blog/ask-...o-use-kn-air-filter-oil-how-much-oil-do-i-use

Allow the oil to wick for approximately 20 minutes then touch up any light areas on either side of filter until there is a uniform red color in all areas.

Once K&N filter oil is properly and evenly absorbed through the cotton, no oil will come off, even under extreme engine conditions.

(So after the cleaning and re-oiling process the filter should not feel oily)

Last edited: