What are your thoughts about church priest saying other religions are stupid + crap???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Most of the comments around here focus on the negativity of religion that is bastardaized by a bad minister, or the justification of wars and destruction based on religion. These are usually caused by bad people.

Most religions teach of love, respect, honor, thanksgiving.

That much is usually not talked about here.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Religion is like communism. On paper it sounds like a pretty good way to go. When put into practice it often becomes a complete disaster.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
Passion of Christ's success = a lot of nut jobs out there.
No fvcking sh!t! I definitely don't want to watch a movie with a bunch of psychos in the theatre with me. I'll watch it at home where I can laugh as hard as I want to. :)

obiwaynekenobi

Golden Member
May 18, 2001
Everyone has to find the religon that works for them Some don't have a religon that they believe in that they live by their own rules.

What may work one person may not work for others.

I personal found that for the most part if you boil down all based Christaian Beliefs into key princpals they all say the same thing

"Be decent people to each other"

But that's IMO

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: JackBurton
No fvcking sh!t! I definitely don't want to watch a movie with a bunch of psychos in the theatre with me. I'll watch it at home where I can laugh as hard as I want to. :)

my buddy and i are going to dress up like our favorite characters and start camping out for tickets!

i even made a crown of thorns to slam on his head!!!

rmrf

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
My wife (fiance at the time ;)) and I decided to get married in the Catholic Church because it was the church she had gone to since she was a kid. At the time my family and I went to an Evangelical Free Church. We booked the church, and when the time came around to do the counseling we went. It was the worst church experience in my life.

We got to the priest's house and it took him a few minutes to open the door. We walked in the house, and I smelled something, but I couldn't figure it out right away. HE WAS SMOKING WEED!!!! I could not believe it. He told us to go sit in his living room on his couch and he would be right out. We walked into the living room, and there was garbage everywhere. 1/2 and full gallon empty ice cream containers everywhere and other random food containers. We looked at the couch and he had his clean and dirty laundry all over it!

Once we managed to move the laundry off of the couch, we sat down and waited for him... and waited... and waited. 10 - 15 minutes later he finally came out of his back room and sat down, but he didn't just sit down; he was in a recliner and reclined all the way back so he was basically laying down. He was so fvcking high I still couldn't believe what I was seeing. When we were introducing ourselfs to him, he starting snickering and laughing, like one would do when they were high.

We finally got past all of that and started talking about how the wedding was going to go, or at least that's what I thought we were going to talk about! He told my wife that he did not want her to switch from being a catholic, and he told me that he didn't want me to become catholic. Then he told us that he would not marry us, and said he could recomend a Justice of the Peace for us. I just sat with a 'deer in the headlights' look for a moment, and then he said that if we still decided to get married in the catholic church, and switched to another church after that, we would both go to hell!!! WTF!!!

Anyways, the next day we cancelled our 'reservation' and talked to pastor of my church and got married there. Of all the catholic events I have been to (quite a few since my fiance was a strict catholic) this was by far the worst, but still sort of expected.

ivol07

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2002
I've never heard a priest badmouth another religion. I'm Catholic.

Oh, and when my wife and I got married in the Catholic Church it was nothing but a great experience. Our Priest was, and still is, the greatest. He and others at the Church have taught me a lot of meaningful things that I follow to this day.

Just thought I would give a different perspective from the other wedding story.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: nanyangview

He started saying how people from other religion are stupid such as Buddhism who worthship stupid and dead statues. They are the ones who will burn in hell etc..

Well..that kinda got me..what gives you the right to badmouth other religion just because you don't believe in it?

If he was seriously saying people were "stupid" and that the religions were "stupid", then that wasn't very polite of him. But if you're going to believe in only Christ, then that really does invalidate other religions that don't fall within the christian spectrum. :p

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Well let me say the guy was most certainly not a priest, meanign he was Anglican or Catholic.
He was most liekly a protestantand therefore a pastor. A priest woudl never say such a thing.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Those priests on those Christian TV networks do it all the time. One of them seems to have made it his staple.

Those are not priests.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
None of the Apostolic denominations, Orthodox, Anglican or Catholic, would have said such a thing.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: PatboyX

my buddy and i are going to dress up like our favorite characters and start camping out for tickets!

i even made a crown of thorns to slam on his head!!!
Hehe, kind of like a Star Wars movie release. :) I think you should camp out dressed as Jesus and start doing card tricks. Then you can get your friends to look at you in disbelief and say, "You must be the son of God. How else did you know I was holding...THE ACE OF SPADES!" Of course card tricks are much more difficult to do than the popular "water to wine" trick Jesus supposedly did, but cards are a lot easier to carry around than a big jug of water and wine, not to mention card tricks are much more impressive. :)

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by: PatboyX
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo Passion of Christ's success = a lot of nut jobs out there.
my buddy and i are going to dress up like our favorite characters and start camping out for tickets! i even made a crown of thorns to slam on his head!!!
Hehe, kind of like a Star Wars movie release. :) I think you should camp out dressed as Jesus and start doing card tricks. Then you can get your friends to look at you in disbelief and say, "You must be the son of God. How else did you know I was holding...THE ACE OF SPADES!" Of course card tricks are much more difficult to do than the popular "water to wine" trick Jesus supposedly did, but cards are a lot easier to carry around than a big jug of water and wine, not to mention card tricks are much more impressive. :)
How to turn water into wine 101:

1. Buy a camelback. and a bottle of red wine.
2. Pour wine in camelback, and wear it inside of cloth.
3. Run the drink tube through your sleeve and at the proper moment, squeeze the tip so you can secretly pour wine into cup (make sure it looks something like a holy grail).
4. Collect disciples, charge ten percent of their earnings so you can retire and live large.