What are your predictions for 2007?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
The Us freedom's will be stripped away a little more. We will point this out, and will be accused of terrorism/communism/conspiracy theorist/morons/idiots who know nothing. We will sit back and watch you swim in your the way an elitist to the world can only swim, one who knows everything about every other country but is blind to his own backyard.

We will also point out how the stones for a dictatorship are being put in place, but will be called those same names because jews/muslims/blacks are not being gasses, which seems to be the only marker of a dictatorship in the world.

Again, we will sit back and watch you swim in your elitism that nothing can happen, even as the water rises against you so slowly you never notice.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: Tab
Lame duck.
Bush only becomes a true lame duck in early 2008 when all the focus turns to the election. As I remember once that started Clinton sort of faded from view.
Sorry, but you have one more year of Bush in the lime light, and then a year of him just sort of being there.

Bush will be in the news all right, but you won't like it. Even Bush Sr. said his son would be in for it if the Dem's took control of the Congress.

Sound the retreat!!!

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: RichardE
The Us freedom's will be stripped away a little more. We will point this out, and will be accused of terrorism/communism/conspiracy theorist/morons/idiots who know nothing. We will sit back and watch you swim in your the way an elitist to the world can only swim, one who knows everything about every other country but is blind to his own backyard.

We will also point out how the stones for a dictatorship are being put in place, but will be called those same names because jews/muslims/blacks are not being gasses, which seems to be the only marker of a dictatorship in the world.

Again, we will sit back and watch you swim in your elitism that nothing can happen, even as the water rises against you so slowly you never notice.
Could you please illustrate one freedom that has been taken away by Bush. Name one thing that you could do in 2001 that you can not do not.

Yea getting on an airplace is a pain in the ass, but otherwise there has been no lose of freedom in this country. I go about my life the same way I did prior to Bush taking office.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
$5 Gas rocks U.S. Economy, Democrats blamed.

Dave predicts $10 gasoline, irregardless of the biggest gasoline glut in 50 years, resulting in gas prices falling to $1.25 a gallon......in California!! :roll: :laugh:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: marvdmartian

Dave predicts $10 gasoline, irregardless of the biggest gasoline glut in 50 years, resulting in gas prices falling to $1.25 a gallon......in California!! :roll: :laugh:

Gasoline glut when all the resident Republican keep whining about Refinery shortgages??? :confused:

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Could you please illustrate one freedom that has been taken away by Bush. Name one thing that you could do in 2001 that you can not do not.

Yea getting on an airplace is a pain in the ass, but otherwise there has been no lose of freedom in this country. I go about my life the same way I did prior to Bush taking office.

You are now able to be detained in a different country, by your own government, if you are deemed an enemy combatant. If you get that title, even unfairly, you will be at there whim until they decide otherwise.

You are not guaranteed a trial any longer, nor does one have to be provided to you. Lawyers do not need to be provided any longer.

Imminent domain?

Search and seizure may now happen without cause, in the name of terrorism. If you are found innocent (If you are given a trial in the first place as you are now an enenmy combatant) you have no way to retrieve your property. (Of course, this right is only taken away if you are considered a terrorist.)

Not to mention the right of the citizens to police there own government. You do not know what your government may be doing, as if it something that could damage them it is hidden by a call of national security. The same call you will come across if you try to seek justice after being accused of being an enemy combatant.

In 1999 the house I live in, or you live in, could not be destroyed on a whim for a private gold club, and this being sanctioned by the government.

As I said, the foundations are being laid, I don't expect you to really accept it, as people are not being gassed yet or driven from there homes in massive numbers. People don't ever accept the path that a country is taking, just the results of that path when they happen, and we will hear the cry of "why didn't anyone see this coming". People in Europe predicted the war in the 1930's. It could never happen here though right?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

Official Sponsor of Most of the Posters here at ATP&N!

My first prediction for 2007: Tinfoil sales will double or triple at RichardE's local grocery store.

So invest on Reynolds stock!

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: palehorse74

My first prediction for 2007: Tinfoil sales will double or triple at RichardE's local grocery store.

Suggestion: Invest on Reynolds stock!
Reynolds_Wrap_Release_Non-Stick_Aluminum_Foil-resized200.gif

Not sure where that statement comes from. I didn't even predict anything. I stated things that have happened and are allowed to happened. Perhaps a prediction for 2007 will be the continued ignorance of most american's of the laws passed in there country?

Tinfoil is not needed for laws passed, or upheld. Like the 4th circuit which upheld that declaring people as enemy combatants is fine. I am not making wild predictions like "
omg bushwacko is going to throw all the muslims in the ocean!!#@!#@!#!#@!#"

I am simply stating laws that have been passed in the United States and that have been used.

One thing you will notice if you study any history is governments do not give up power once they have obtained it. Not willingly.

Or perhaps, you will point out where I went overboard and made tinfoil hat predictions?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
1. You are now able to be detained in a different country, by your own government, if you are deemed an enemy combatant. If you get that title, even unfairly, you will be at there whim until they decide otherwise.

2. You are not guaranteed a trial any longer, nor does one have to be provided to you. Lawyers do not need to be provided any longer.

3. Imminent domain?

4. Search and seizure may now happen without cause, in the name of terrorism. If you are found innocent (If you are given a trial in the first place as you are now an enenmy combatant) you have no way to retrieve your property. (Of course, this right is only taken away if you are considered a terrorist.)

5. Not to mention the right of the citizens to police there own government. You do not know what your government may be doing, as if it something that could damage them it is hidden by a call of national security. The same call you will come across if you try to seek justice after being accused of being an enemy combatant.

6. In 1999 the house I live in, or you live in, could not be destroyed on a whim for a private gold club, and this being sanctioned by the government.
I numbered your list to make it easy to respond too.

1. I know of 2 people Americans who have been picked up and given that label. One was the kid we found in Afghanistan, before we even invaded Iraq and who I believe was to be tried for treason. And the other was the dirty bomber, who is now going to stand trial for something.
2 out of 300 million, not sure this is much of a threat to the liberty of most Americans. Can you name and provide proof of this happening to others? BTW: More innocent unarmed black men have been shot by cops than Americans have been detained and given the label enemy combatant.

2. Please illustrate a case of this happening, out side the two above. I am not aware of any Americans currently being held without a trail. Again, even if you can find a few cases of this you still stand a better chance of being shot by the police if you are a black man than our government coming and taking you away.

3. This is a product of the courts, not Bush. And incase you have not noticed most of the cases involving this are taking place in northern liberal states like Connecticut and New Jersey. I am not sure where Bush stands on this, but the protection of private property rights is a right wing issue. It is the left that believes the government can come in and declare your land a nature reserve and take away your right to develop it.

4. Can you give me specific examples of what you are talking about here? I am not aware of the government going around and implementing massive seizures of property. And again the whole enemy combatant thing, how many Americans have been given this label so far?

5. I have no idea what you are talking about, again. What is the government doing in secret today that it did not do in secret prior to Bush?

6. What the hell is a private gold club? You need to stop spending so much time talking to conjur and duhan.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Castro will die, but nothing major will change in Cuba.
Scandal after scandal will be revealed regarding government contracts for Iraq.
Iraq will continue to deteriorate despite some more troops.
McCain will drop steadily in the polls.
Republicans will pretend they didn't spend a dime during their time in power.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
1. Saddam will be finally executed.
2. Olmert will rape another 10 woman.
3. Castro will introduce his successor.
4. Putin will aggresively gain more power.
5. Bush will create 634 new words.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i'll be sick of presidential election 2008 stuff by may or june.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Stock market will finally catch up with the soaring profits of companies over the past few years. Profits are at the highest percentage of GDP ever (10% first time ever) and highest since 1929. P/E ratios going forward are around 15, lower than the average. Look for a breakout year. (not to mention the idea that stock markets always seem to do better during the 2nd half of a Presidental term than the first). Time to make some money! :)

(Assuming that Dave's $5 gas doesn't come to play! ;) )

Happy New Year all! :D

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Economic slowdown. Oil and gas prices fall, but not dramatically. Fed cuts rates slowly. Housing market picks up mildly in most markets with low rates and a decent refi boom while certain outrageoulsy overheated markets tank. Iraq stalemate continues. Partisan stalemate continues. The sun continues to rise and set on a predictable schedule...

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Originally posted by: marvdmartian

Gasoline glut when all the resident Republican keep whining about Refinery shortgages??? :confused:

It's called SARCASM, Dave. Get your meter fixed!! :roll:

sych

Dec 27, 2006
Everyone keeps predicting the sun will rise and set. I say it explodes and irradicates the Humanure race from the universe.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: sych
Everyone keeps predicting the sun will rise and set. I say it explodes and irradicates the Humanure race from the universe.

May you be on the side of the earth closest to that sun when that happens! :beer:

sych

Dec 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: sych

May you be on the side of the earth closest to that sun when that happens! :beer:

Like that will make much difference? I was just kidding anyway. Peace on earth and goodwill towards man in the spirit of the season. May 2007 be a better year for all of us.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Economy cools, summertime gas prices put a damper into consumer spending. Fed gets stuck between a rock and a hard place with gas prices fueling inflation while the consumer based economies stutter. Rising tide of foreclosures dampen housing markets, and the "spring rebound" never occurs, prices crash in certain markets, fall a bunch in others.