What are you using all your cores for?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
Handbrake mostly and a few other video and audio editing tools.
What used to take many hours and rendered my PC incapable of gaming for the duration now takes way less time and allows me to game while it's going.

Having 2x the cores/threads I had before is like having a second monitor. Yeah, sure, I could probably do everything I do now on one monitor, but who wants to alt-tab all the time?

Like the guy on the TechDeals channel (great channel to send new computer geeks to) said, he now uses his Ryzen for everything, even gaming. It's slower than a 7700K, but the ability to do other stuff is just so much more appealing.

Reactions: coffeemonster

woozle64

Aug 13, 2016
I just built an 1800x desktop. I use it for Vivado/ISE, Matlab, games, and soon openCV. It's also nice being able to run a somewhat heavy program while I game.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
7700k @ 4.5ghz for 24/7, honestly, mostly a media server, surfing the web and gaming once a week or so. I very occasionally edit a video. I certainly don't "need" more at the moment.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Gaming and World Community Grid, not to mention my GPUs do gpugrid.net

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Nothing much on the gaming system - my i7-4790k is apparently still great and I've found no worthy replacement. I have a rendering/development system which I desperately need to upgrade to something beyond a 6600U. It runs POV-Ray and some code I've written. It needs a lot of cores. I'm waiting for AMD's new 32-core stuff to drop before I decide.