What are you making for Thanksgiving Dinner?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Ah! You are correct my friend. Those are pretty amazing, as are the chick'n scampi.
Yeah the tofu turkey things I have done for my wife suck. Anything from Trader Joe’s sucks.
Stick with Gardein all their stuff is easy to cook and looks and tastes pretty good.
Not sure if the turkey cutlets are vegan however most of their stuff is.

Reactions: Charmonium

JPS35

Apr 9, 2006
I'll be hosting for the first time cooking Thanksgiving dishes, but I'm no stranger to cooking for 12~ people in the past. I'm going to keep it simple this year, then make it more homemade next year.
  • Turkey (A simple Youtube recipe with great reviews)
  • Supermarket breadcrumbs + chopped veggies + chicken broth & bake = Stuffing
  • Supermarket gravy + grease from turkey
  • My XVOO mashed potatoes (delicious)
  • Peas
  • Corn
  • Canned Cranberry sauce
  • Supermarket pie or two
  • Dinner rolls

If I'm up for it, I may cook one of those green bean casserole thingy. What else are easy upgrades or anything fun for apps or snacks prior? (Or dessert)
For appetizers: Relish Tray with olives, stuffed celery, radishes, green onions, baby carrots, and a cheeseball, summer sausage, and crackers.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I was thinking of getting tofukey but I'm pretty sure that still sucks. Making fake meat seems to be one of those alchemical dark arts though. You're much more likely to get iron pyrite (fools gold) rather any "color" of any kind.

For Beyond Meat, the key ingredient is heme (pronounced heem not hem-ee apparently). It's plant heme but the taste and texture is so much like ground beef (from what I can recall anyway) that can't bring myself to eating it even with the certain knowledge that it's vegan.

So like with most holidays, I probably won't do anything special. I used to grab a few other folks and hit the local Hyatt for their t-day buffet. I don't really like going places by myself though, so unless I have a surge of energy come thursday, I probably won't do that either.
Tofu, in my personal experience is best with pickled Chinese radish. One the few addicting and delicious plant-only foods I've eaten.

Faux meat will always be a travesty of food production and the inability of the home cook to make vegetables taste good. Faux meat will harm health in its own way.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Butternut squash soup
garden salad
grilled turkey breast(butter and Roasted garlic and herb seasoning under the skin)
garlic mashed potatoes
baked acorn squash
caramelized carrots
stuffing
dinner rolls
cranberry sauce
sautéed mushrooms

Rhubarb custard Pie
Pumpkin Pie

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Just came back from Publix with 16 lb frozen turkey. $0.49 /lb. Frozen solid like one giant ice cube. It's pre-brined from the factory with 8% salt solution.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It sounds like we may be having sourdough patty melts, with fries and stuffing.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Keys for me for Thanksgiving: Garlic and buttery mashed potatoes, crispy light stuffing(no gizzards or innards or anything), home made cranberry sauce, roasted turkey and a nice savory turkey gravy that is not too thick and goes over everything. Then add some warm dinner rolls with butter to dip in gravy and mashed potatoes and a loaf of fresh Watsonville sourdough for Thanksgiving sandwiches for left overs.

For drinks, I'm thinking a nice pumpkin oatmeal stout to compliment the football and eating.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Butternut squash soup
garden salad
grilled turkey breast(butter and Roasted garlic and herb seasoning under the skin)
garlic mashed potatoes
baked acorn squash
caramelized carrots
stuffing
dinner rolls
cranberry sauce
sautéed mushrooms

Rhubarb custard Pie
Pumpkin Pie

shoot, I forgot the squash soup….one of my favorites. Your menu looks wonderful ❤️

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
No idea. I suppose I ought to figure something out.
I'm making a pizza, opus #2 with my new 12" pizza screen and bamboo peel (used for cutting and serving). My predicament is what baking method to use. Opus #1 was almost perfect, could have used another minute in the oven. I have 2 plans in mind, can only use one. The other will likely get a try over the weekend. One is just a tweak of my usual method before I got the screen, basically lessen the bake time by about 3 minutes from 11 to 8, with a peak at 8, turning off the oven and letting it cook about 3-4 more minutes, then removal. The second is shown at the end of this really good video on making a DIY pizza with fresh dough on a 12" pizza screen (5 1/2 minutes on bottom rack of 550F oven, then moving to top rack for one additional minute):

Pizza Screen Opus 1:
Pizza Screen Opus 1.jpg

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm making a pizza, opus #2 with my new 12" pizza screen and bamboo peel (used for cutting and serving). My predicament is what baking method to use. Opus #1 was almost perfect, could have used another minute in the oven. I have 2 plans in mind, can only use one. The other will likely get a try over the weekend.
Pizza was considered as an option here as well :D

Reactions: Muse

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah the tofu turkey things I have done for my wife suck. Anything from Trader Joe’s sucks.
Stick with Gardein all their stuff is easy to cook and looks and tastes pretty good.
Not sure if the turkey cutlets are vegan however most of their stuff is.

I like tofu, but I would never contemplate tofu turkey.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Bought 18.5 lb brisket today.
68tvPMgh.jpg

Trimmed, seasoned, and now in the pellet smoker where it will smoke overnight at 275 F.
V8iVTl2h.jpg

Turkey is still frozen rock solid. I placed the frozen turkey in cold water bucket and placed it outside on the deck to thaw overnight. I have a feeling I'm going to be smoking frozen turkey tomorrow.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I made a big batch of butternut squash with some cranberries, a touch of maple syrup and a bit of orange zest. It's more on the savory side than sweet. And vegan, since there are vegan guests there. That's my contribution to a feast for around 25 people. Two big turkeys and all the trimmings.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I got up this morning and checked on the brisket. The pellet smoker did its thing overnight and the brisket is looking good. Brisket temperature was at around 174 F so I wrapped it in foil and placed it back in the smoker to cook til 205 F. I love the easy bake oven aka pellet smoker.

eL1Tog8h.jpg

I checked on the turkey and it's still about 50% frozen. But that's not a big deal and my Big Kamado Joe will handle it just fine even if it's frozen. I lit the fire in the Big Joe to get the smoker ready ready for the frozen turkey. Now I'm relaxing for a bit and having my morning coffee while I wait for the Big Joe to come up to temperature.

Life is good. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

LjOA2cIh.jpg