What are YOU growing in your gardens?!?!?

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Post all you are growing in this thread, let's all share and see what is out there!

I've got

Pinto beans
Green beans
Different kinds of peppers
Different kinds of squashes
Different kinds of zuchinies
Cilantro
Asperagous
Tomatoes, tons of different types
Strawberries
Hemp
Blackberries
Blueberries
Rasberries

Too many more to list lol.

What you guys/gals growing?

Thanks!!!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Getting my blueberries in the ground. Some of them have been in large planters for more than 5 years. A couple are new.
Built a small (10 x 10) greenhouse this past winter. Will be growing tomatoes and jalapenos...not sure what else yet.
We have severe deer problems here...they'll eat almost everything, so things have to be protected...thus the greenhouse for things that can easily be grown outside. The blueberries are protected by a 6' high chain link enclosure that will have a hoop top covered with bird mesh.

Last edited:

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Plenty of room on a second floor balcony open to the air and enclosed on the other 3 sides and ceiling. But it gets no direct sunlight but lots of indirect sunlight. So thought someone could recommend plants for that condition. In San Diego CA. I could continue to look on the net but a poster may know first hand what grows in the shade. I'll go for just about anything that would survive or thrive even if it's just a planter of grass.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I've been meaning to dive deeper into growing stuff at home. I've also been meaning to pick up an Orta self-watering seed-starter system since their Kickstarter:

They have both seed starters & micro-green kits:

Nice little tutorial here:

I'd really love to get started with LED grow lights too. They sell them with a wireless connection & command-center software now:

What I'd really love is a Greenery container from Freight Farms, which is a turnkey hydroponic farm in a shipping container:

Hook that up to an atmospheric water generator, a solar panel kit, and some Tesla Powerwall batteries, and you've got a self-sustainable farm in a box! I also think the Farm Bot is a pretty cool idea:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Lots of crystalized H2O. I think it's time for harvest soon.

Actually I keep thinking I should setup some indoor crops like maybe lettuce and potatoes and stuff. Would be kind of cool. Our summers are too short to do an outdoor garden. Some people do it, but I feel it's too much work for what is like maybe 2 months of growing.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Getting my blueberries in the ground. Some of them have been in large planters for more than 5 years. A couple are new.
Built a small (10 x 10) greenhouse this past winter. Will be growing tomatoes and jalapenos...not sure what else yet.
We have severe deer problems here...they'll eat almost everything, so things have to be protected...thus the greenhouse for things that can easily be grown outside. The blueberries are protected by a 6' high chain link enclosure that will have a hoop top covered with bird mesh.

Nice Boomer! How big to blueberry bushes get? If I have one bush per very large pot (well greater than 5 gallons I believe), would that be sufficient?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Nice Boomer! How big to blueberry bushes get? If I have one bush per very large pot (well greater than 5 gallons I believe), would that be sufficient?

Over their lifetime, blueberry plants will get pretty large...4-5' tall, 4' wide. You'll need pots MUCH bigger than 5 gallons....or plan to re-pot them every year or two.

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
Potatoes Planted
baby lettuce planted
Dill Planted ,
Blueberries Blooming
Asian Pears Blooming
about 30% of strawberries in flower

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I have 2 plants growing right now. I think you know what they are. They are looking super healthy.

• Haha
Reactions: Muse

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Veggies

- Arugula
- Longevity spinach (excellent crop as it grows year round and is versatile - can use in smoothies, salads, sauteed, etc.
- Simpson Elite lettuce
- Curly kale (just finished for the season - too hot now)
- Red Russian kale (just finished for the season - too hot now)
- Lacinato (dinosaur) kale (just finished for the season - too hot now)
- Georgia collards
- cherry tomatoes
- Carrots
- cucumbers
- asparagus beans
- bush beans

Fruits

- Mangoes - around 15 different trees each a different variety
- Lychees - 2 trees each a different variety
- Carambola (starfruit) - 3 trees each a different variety
- Pineapples - lost count, but probably 20 growing
- pink lemon
- Meyer lemon
- miracle fruit
- sapodilla - 3 trees each a different variety
- soursop
- jaboticaba - 3 trees each a different variety
- blueberries
- dragon fruit
- bananas - around 5 or 6 trees
- passion fruit
- longan
- Barbados cherry
- grumichama
- papaya - 3 trees
- Japanese plum (loquat)
- monstera deliciosa
- peach
- malay apple
- cherry of the rio grande
- jujube

probably missing a few others.

Last edited:
Reactions: ponyo

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
A couple weeks back I started my bell peppers and kohlrabi in cell trays. They are coming along nicely and should be ready to go by May. Last week we direct sowed some snow peas, radishes, lettuce, Vidalia onions, and spinach. Some of them have germinated already like the snow peas, radishes, lettuce which is nice because they like it cooler.

Anyway, here are some pics of the peppers and kohlrabi.
0l9hvcJ.jpg

KqdD4Ho.jpg

Reactions: Mayne

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
There's a long abandoned piece of property that's on the hit list for a subdivision, and I've been rescuing flowers before the equipment comes. In various places around my yard I've planted Siberian squill, snowdrops, and daffodils. Still waiting to see what some of the plants on the site turn in to. I don't like gardens, so the flowers are under trees, the middle of the yard, here and there... Looks more interesting, and with the snowdrops especially, they'll spread like crazy, so after 10 or 20 years, there'll be a carpet of white flowers in late winter. They'll poke up and flower through snow cover. Cool little flowers.

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
Strawberries are blooming
Peas are up
Parsley is ready
lettuce
One oriental Pear
5 Pomegranates
Blue Berries blooming
3 fig trees
Paw Paw
Potatoes
Black Berries
will grow 2 tomato crops
banana peppers
Eggplant
summer squash
Charleston Grey watermelon
Pickles
Beans (Pole)

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Just a quick update. Not sure how everyone else is coming along but here in Central Illinois the weather is beautiful so we decided to get some work done.

We got half the garden cleared and ready to be tilled. I'll bring the tractor home next week with the 5' tiller on it to work the ground over.
DsTIIGZ.jpg

Before we started we cut the potatoes.
LVzf1FI.jpg

and last but not least I used our small tiller to till a patch to plant the potatoes. We planted some Yukon Golds and some Kennebecs.
KpfaPLG.jpg

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
So I brought home the tractor today with the tiller attachment. Made tilling the garden quick work. The one I'm tilling in the pic is approximately 25'x150' and the other one is 30'x150'.
We are so excited this year! Can't wait until the weather finally breaks and we can start planting the warm weather stuff.
Don't be shy guys! post pics of what you're doing in the garden this year!!

Anyway....here's a pic of me tilling after we prepped it yesterday.
3s0Tz3l.jpg

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
@bbhaag , is that just a garden, or a small farm? LOL. :p

You guys are all amazing. I have trouble keeping plants alive. It's probably a miracle that I've managed to keep myself alive as long as I have.

Edit: I'm not saying I'm a vegetable. Thankfully.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Too labor intensive and high tech systems far to costly for the return. I have a couple producing chestnut trees and a half of a large oak barrel with chives, sage and oregano which are perennial in their sheltered location. This is a blight area for anything I've tried in the nightshade family such as peppers and tomatoes and the plants and fruit rot no matter what I do.

Hopefully the public market will have some social distancing solution otherwise it's supermarkets which aren't great by comparison. A lot of farms will likely go under.