What are you doing with your portfolio

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
Ever day the value of my portfolio decreases (not by small amounts). Obviously I should have sold months ago but now that I've held on, do I just sell everything and keep the cash ready for the market turn-around or just wait it out?

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Buy high and sell low, that's they way to go.......

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Is this for retirement? If so, keep contributing, don't sell. Reallocate if necessary. The market will come around sooner or later.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I invest every month whether the market goes up, down or sideways.

What is your investment goal? How long until you need the money?

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
i've set it to autopilot. i just don't look at it. If I have any sudden urges to buy individual stocks, i buy it on the ATOT stock game, where i am currently ranked 77 out of 79 :laugh:

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
You know the market will prob pop right back up as soon as you dump everything. That's just how it is sometimes. So it's up to you to save our economy!

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Why sell now? Buy more as prices drop. Unless you need the money in the next year or so, there's not a good reason to sell.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: alien42
you have to trade if you want to gamble on making short term money in the current market.

fixed.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: NL5
you have to trade if you want to gamble on making short term money in the current market.

fixed.
dont hate just because you dont know how to play the game

The fact that 80% of active fund managers fail to beat their benchmark index over the long term suggests that many supposed experts apparently don't know how to play "the game".

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: CalvinHobbes
Ever day the value of my portfolio decreases (not by small amounts). Obviously I should have sold months ago but now that I've held on, do I just sell everything and keep the cash ready for the market turn-around or just wait it out?

It really depends on your portfolio, time horizon, and risk tolerance. It sounds like you either have too much risk or don't really know what's in your portfolio. Take a look at your portfolio and trim or sell stuff you don't understand on the next lift.

I wouldn't try to market time too much as it sounds like you don't really know what you're doing as is. The key is to identify solid growth companies and invest for the long term despite the current market conditions. All the stock of companies I own in my longterm account I'm excited about and believe in. As prices fall, I don't get discouraged because I've done my research and believe in the companies story. Short term price corrections are simply opportunities for me to pick up additional shares for cheap. I don't get discouraged. I get excited.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
i know what the OP mean, i dont need the money in there since I have enough in my savings. but seeing how it decreases in value (i lost a BMW 328 in 4 months, and i drive a crappy nissan xterra) really makes you want to sell it all. i have put more money in there at the lows but it just keep on getting lower and lower.

just look at citibank! (or on second thought, don't!)

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Yossarian
Is this for retirement? If so, keep contributing, don't sell. Reallocate if necessary. The market will come around sooner or later.

..dollar cost averaging. it's a buyers market right now.

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
I said it previously in another stock-market-sucks thread: Private Mortgage Investing, 11% return, minimal risk.