What are you buying with your $1200 check?

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
There are plenty of hands over there, I live 150 miles away. If I don't get back to work immediately, I might do some work.

Reactions: mopardude87

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Got our stimulus "debit card" today.

What a fucking joke.

We will be lucky if we can even take all 3 of us to McDonalds for dinner one night with it. Not even sure why they bothered sending it to us.

I also did not realize that the $500/kid was prorated.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

What a fucking joke.

We will be lucky if we can even take all 3 of us to McDonalds for dinner one night with it. Not even sure why they bothered sending it to us.

Don't worry, your kids will get to help pay it back.

• Haha
Reactions: zinfamous

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

What a fucking joke.

"Honey, get the kids! We're going to McDonald's tonight! Yeehaw!" :p

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Putting the Challenger bread pan to good use today. This thing is a beast! Ciabatta using bread flour was on the menu today:

I've used the Challenger baking vessel twice now. It's crazy expensive at $300, but it's also a super-niche product, and the price is on-par with high-end Dutch ovens like Le Creuset sells. Features I like:

1. The handles are awesome. Side handles & top handles. It makes it soooo easy to get in & out of the oven, and to take the lid off mid-bake.

2. It's basically an upside-down Dutch oven. The flat bottom makes loading even wet doughs really easy...but you don't have to worry about burning your fingers because it's not deep!

3. Oven spring seems good so far. Didn't have to spray water inside my oven or put a pan of water inside my oven, so the steam-trapping feature of the sealed design seems to be working.

4. It will last several generations. Definitely one of those "buy it for life" products. I'll be using this on a near-daily basis for the next year, so we'll see how it holds up long-term!

View attachment 20205

View attachment 20204
Bumping this to find out how this competes with the air fryer? @Kaido

Nov 8, 2012
That's not necessarily a bad thing... it probably means that you're making decent money to begin with.

My family is on the cut line, so I'll get a smaller check than most.

Same.

All thanks to my employer healthcare costs, employer dental costs, HSA contributions, and 401k contributions for both me and the wife. Otherwise I wouldn't get anything.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Challenger Bread Pan.

That's an expensive piece of kit @ $225.

That's $70 off, that's a good price! This is made from cast-iron, so it's something you'll hand down to your great-great-great grandchildren.

It's an awesome piece of hardware. I alternate between doing RideFree's bread in the bread machine, using a Baking Steel (nice for certain shapes), and using the Challenger. So I probably use it at least 2 to 3 times a week. Really great design all around!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
office-space-two-chicks.jpg

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That's $70 off, that's a good price! This is made from cast-iron, so it's something you'll hand down to your great-great-great grandchildren.

It's an awesome piece of hardware. I alternate between doing RideFree's bread in the bread machine, using a Baking Steel (nice for certain shapes), and using the Challenger. So I probably use it at least 2 to 3 times a week. Really great design all around!
Not cheap, plus it requires using an oven. I'm happy making my bread in my bread machine. I used to use my oven, of course, but bread is made in the machine now, one of my robots.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Bumping this to find out how this competes with the air fryer? @Kaido

This is a tricky question for two reasons:

1. I'm still learning how to do steam-baking
2. Oven availability

I've had pretty good results with the Combi oven for baking. The crusts turn out really phenomenal. The catch is that I only own one of the steam ovens, and it's often being used by another process. For example, I do a lot of meats for several hours in it, and some cuts take up to 48 hours, so it's not always available to bake (I plan on getting a second Anova Precision Oven with the next stimulus, if it ever arrives). So when my APO is available, I use that, and when it's busy, I use the Challenger. If you're looking at one or the other ($300 vs. $600), I'd definitely go with the APO. In the APO, I use a baking steel, which I preheat for 45 minutes, and that has gotten me pretty great results. If you just want something to break great bread in day after day after day, then the Challenger is a great tool to invest in, especially at the current discounted price. It's something that will be in your family for generations as well, because it's made of cast-iron, so it's one of those "buy it for life" purchases.

If you had no kitchen stuff at all & had a pile of money available, I'd buy the Anova oven before anything else. Even before an Instant Pot (be still my heart!). It's completely changed the way I cook & the way I eat. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are all pretty low-effort & pretty awesome because of this machine lol.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Not cheap, plus it requires using an oven. I'm happy making my bread in my bread machine. I used to use my oven, of course, but bread is made in the machine now, one of my robots.

I made RideFree's bread on a regular basis (amazing for toast!) in my bread machine, as well as a few other breads (like potato-flake bread). The Currentware is a really great tool if you like making bread by hand, whether it's no-knead or with a machine. A Baking Steel comes pretty close, however, plus you can get a giant 16" round Baking Steel with a peel for $189 & do pizza, breads, calzones, etc. on it:

I keep that bad boy in my oven most of the time & it works out really well. So it really all depends on what you want to do. I have a perpetual kitchen-purchasing fund in place (weekly $10 automated transfer to an online piggy bank, which works out to $500+ annually, $5k+ every decade, etc. - very small weekly amount but it adds up over time!) to manage my kitchen-toy purchases:

This allows me to try out really cool new stuff on a regular basis. Over the last 15 or so years, I've built up a pretty crazy kitchen inventory haha! A lot of it comes down to what you want to do. For me, I wanted a way to buy kitchen stuff within my budget, so my little TurtleSaver program works out pretty well, and I wanted to eat against my macros & also try new stuff on a regular basis, so I use an easy little meal-prep program for that. It looks a little crazy from the outside, but it's really easy to manage on the inside (i.e. automated $10 weekly withdrawls, a weekly meal-planning session using big pictures to choose from for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and using spiffy tools & appliances to help cook the food better & more consistently). Looks fancy, but it's actually pretty low-effort lol.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If you had no kitchen stuff at all & had a pile of money available, I'd buy the Anova oven before anything else. Even before an Instant Pot (be still my heart!). It's completely changed the way I cook & the way I eat. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are all pretty low-effort & pretty awesome because of this machine lol.
You're talking about the Anova or the Instant Pot? It's unclear to me.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
You're talking about the Anova or the Instant Pot? It's unclear to me.

Ah, to clarify - the Anova Precision Oven:

It's currently the only countertop Combi oven that I'm aware of. I would pick this appliance before anything else in my kitchen - the Instant Pot being a close second. I'm fortunate to have both machines, which are a great combination together!