What are you buying with your $1200 check?

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Posted this link in another thread but it is more fitting here -

Yeah, isn't it great? China gives us their virus, and we reward them for it by buying more of their electronics.

If we do have a Stimilus 2.0, I hope that it comes with some restrictions on what you can spend it on. It really should be used to help out struggling businesses like Restaurants, and not make Apple and Amazon even richer than they already are.

Reactions: highland145

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I'm not the one who is so shit with money that it takes 8 years and a $1200 government check to afford a new computer.

Oh you grasping at some straws now, oh you are so sure of yourself right? You assume you know my situation when you don't know nothing, broke people don't spend over $800 out of their own money then $700 out of their stimulus like i just did. You know nothing about my situation, but i do know about yours as of now. You and your negative energy stink, your ignored. Blessed be and have a good day and stay safe ok?

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Yeah, isn't it great? China gives us their virus, and we reward them for it by buying more of their electronics.

If we do have a Stimilus 2.0, I hope that it comes with some restrictions on what you can spend it on. It really should be used to help out struggling businesses like Restaurants, and not make Apple and Amazon even richer than they already are.
I can't think of how you would go about restricting it, but I do agree that there are ideal ways to spend it. Helping local businesses would certainly be high on my list. For those who need help making rent/mortgage, that's also a good use.

That said, saying China gave us the virus as if it was some intentional action to screw us is not a good look. China depends way too much on us to want to tank our economy.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016

I think the next stimulus should come with a list of companies you can do business with along with a comprehensive list of products you are allowed to spend your money on. A panel of progressives with overinflated egos should comprise a panel that determines which businesses and products.

It would be the American way, after all.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Oh man, i won't lie about these here gov funded edibles being SO much better then usual. When its free everything is just better. Oh yeah that is $150 WELL spent. Only best to compliment this baby with a little wine :)

Last edited:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I think the next stimulus should come with a list of companies you can do business with along with a comprehensive list of products you are allowed to spend your money on. A panel of progressives with overinflated egos should comprise a panel that determines which businesses and products.

Good idea but you'd need to do a study first to determine which approved products have the lowest carbon footprint, which companies are most socially aware & the whole thing should only take a year & cost the taxpayers about $50 million.

Reactions: Sgt. York

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Good idea but you'd need to do a study first to determine which approved products have the lowest carbon footprint, which companies are most socially aware & the whole thing should only take a year & cost the taxpayers about $50 million.

OK, OK... Point taken. I don't want to create the next wasteful branch of government (like Homeland Security or the TSA after 9-11) to manage this thing. Maybe we should try something simpler like just offering food benefits to people who can prove that they actually NEED the money with bank statements or something.

How about this... Families who make less than $50K a year get $1,000 of grocery store gift cards and $500 of restaurant gift cards. If people who make more than $50K a year want the benefits, they need to do an application process where they get means tested.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Still haven't received the stimulus. What is the site you can check your status at again?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
google
Irs get my check
Yeah I just found it. Well this is really coincidental since I just thought about it today.

Payment Status
We scheduled your check to be mailed on May 22, 2020 to the address we have on file for you.
We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment.
If you need additional help or do not receive your payment, please visit our FAQ page.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Lol. Similar happened here. No $ for the kid either but he did get $424 school grant from the cares act.
Oh I’ve been getting paid A LOT the past 2 months thanks to the cares act lol. Been doing work internally for my company too since I’m at home making money on top of that.

• Love
Reactions: highland145

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I can't think of how you would go about restricting it, but I do agree that there are ideal ways to spend it. Helping local businesses would certainly be high on my list. For those who need help making rent/mortgage, that's also a good use.

That said, saying China gave us the virus as if it was some intentional action to screw us is not a good look. China depends way too much on us to want to tank our economy.

I might feel bad about maligning China if they didn't try covering up the full extent of the outbreak early on. Since they did, I think that they deserve more blame and retribution than what they're currently getting. They certainly don't deserve a huge chunk of the US stimulus money, anyway.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Oh I’ve been getting paid A LOT the past 2 months thanks to the cares act lol. Been doing work internally for my company too since I’m at home making money on top of that.

Yeah... Coronavirus was actually a good thing for my checking account balance so far. Between the stimulus payment, the canceled vacation in April, and all the money that I'm saving on gas and food by working from home the past two months, I probably have $10,000 more in cash than I would otherwise.

Sure, my IRA got hurt a LOT more than that, but it's recovering. I'd imagine that it will be back up to where it was in February around a year from now. If ponyo is right, my shares in Tesla alone should make me a millionaire soon :)

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
17 to 24 dependants get nada. But do get $424 college grant if they're in school

16? No idea. Should have.

I understand about 17 and older kids would get nothing but this child is only 16. I thought it was a minor glitch but from the link I posted, it was more than a few but a bunch of people have the same problem.

What is the $424 college grant you spoke about? Do you have more information about it?

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I understand about 17 and older kids would get nothing but this child is only 16. I thought it was a minor glitch but from the link I posted, it was more than a few but a bunch of people have the same problem.

What is the $424 college grant you spoke about? Do you have more information about it?
Is the child turning 17 this year? They may have that information some how and are basing on the expected age by end of 2020. Just guessing.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

Cares tuition grant. Just showed up in both kid's college expense accounts. When I get to a pc, I'll look for a link.