What are you buying with your $1200 check?

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
$60k for a fucking pickup truck? Jeebus, what does a 2020 truck have that a 2014 or so doesn't?

My first car was a Toyota Tacoma, shit ran just just fine.

Before there was such things mandatory backup cameras, side impact air curtains and the other dumbshit car makers are REQUIRED to put on a car, you could buy a good truck for $15,000.

I remember around the year 2000, I paid $9,999 cash for a brand new, strip down Ford Ranger. It would not go faster than 90 MPH on the highway, had slow acceleration, came with a manual 5 speed stickshift, guzzled gas and drove over curbs with no hesitation at all. I paid $500 extra to have a tinted sliding rear window installed.

After a year I got bored with it and traded it in for brand new Mazda Miata.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
His walker, extra diapers, cane collection, weekly supply of prune juice and hemorrhoid creams, and VHS copies of Matlock.

abf.thumb.gif

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Latest news. I would get the money by next week (around Wednesday) per IRS website. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
$60k for a fucking pickup truck? Jeebus, what does a 2020 truck have that a 2014 or so doesn't?

My first car was a Toyota Tacoma, shit ran just just fine.

You very much can't get a new truck with auto transmission and normal accessories (AC, power doors and locks, etc.) for under $20K anymore. For example, Toyota no longer makes the cheap two doors trucks with manual transmissions (for delivery and fleet). All of them have 4 doors (cab or full size). I checked the Tacomas out a month ago and the one I like would start out with $30K and higher.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I think a fully loaded Jeep Gladiator goes for more than 60 grand.
I test drove one a couple months ago and it was nice. Would like it for off-roading but not as a daily driver.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I think a fully loaded Jeep Gladiator goes for more than 60 grand.
I test drove one a couple months ago and it was nice. Would like it for off-roading but not as a daily driver.

You'd be buying crap. Lots of reported problems. MAYBE after it's been on the market a couple of years and the bugs have been worked out...

Hell, you can easily spend $80k or more on an F-150...

(chose dealers in your area)

or really go off the deep end...

Last edited:
Reactions: highland145

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
You very much can't get a new truck with auto transmission and normal accessories (AC, power doors and locks, etc.) for under $20K anymore. For example, Toyota no longer makes the cheap two doors trucks with manual transmissions (for delivery and fleet). All of them have 4 doors (cab or full size). I checked the Tacomas out a month ago and the one I like would start out with $30K and higher.
This.

Didn't they stop making the small truck because of some epa regulations?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
This.

Didn't they stop making the small truck because of some epa regulations?

Toyota said the small trucks with 2 doors and manual transmissions did not sell well anymore .I think the profit margins from the small trucks were not as fat as the loaded bigger ones. Hopefully, Ford would make cheap strip down Rangers soon but I would not hold my breath.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Toyota said the small trucks with 2 doors and manual transmissions did not sell well anymore .I think the profit margins from the small trucks were not as fat as the loaded bigger ones. Hopefully, Ford would make cheap strip down Rangers soon but I would not hold my breath.

Simple vehicles with manual's of any kind are tough to find these days and are nearly all relegated to either all-out performance cars or bottom-feeder "econobox" models. Too bad as I like driving and beyond ABS am fine with zero "electronic-nanny" interference.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
My last new car purchase was in 1984. I'm still driving it today. It runs great 'cause I kept it up and it's a Toyota, but the body is rusting out enough that it's no longer safe on a frame-engaging lift. I've also kept my credit rating up, but with the price of cars nowadays I won't be able to finance one until my mortgage has been paid off -- when I'm 83 years old and will probably be too blind to drive safely.
Well you don't have to go out and buy a brand new vehicle, you could get a 4 or 5yr old Toyota and benefit all the advancements in technology, (and yea, a lot since '84) safety, and fuel efficiency. I'm all for keep it for a very long time but '84 with a rusted frame I'd say it's time to move on, one good sized pothole could cause a catastrophic failure and the risk of serious injury to yourself or worse, someone else. Sell it to the junkyard and get another vehicle, Hell, give me $2,000 and I'd find something decent and safe to ride in.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Yup, 100% correct on this, think about it, you perform the same type of assembly operation into a $18K stripper truck as you do the $39K base F-150, the higher pricetag generates much more profit and with Americans loving bigger trucks anyway that segment was pretty much abandoned. Hell, my city still has 3-4 Ford Rangers rolling around, don't be shocked when Hyundai or KIA steps into this market and owns it.

Nov 20, 2009
Before there was such things mandatory backup cameras, side impact air curtains and the other dumbshit car makers are REQUIRED to put on a car, you could buy a good truck for $15,000.

I remember around the year 2000, I paid $9,999 cash for a brand new, strip down Ford Ranger. It would not go faster than 90 MPH on the highway, had slow acceleration, came with a manual 5 speed stickshift, guzzled gas and drove over curbs with no hesitation at all. I paid $500 extra to have a tinted sliding rear window installed.

After a year I got bored with it and traded it in for brand new Mazda Miata.
I'm confused. You are complaining about the price of trucks and got bored and bought a tiny car?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I've been searching on rhe auto trader and Ford websites...can't find what I want within 200 miles. :(

Almost every Lariat edition F-150 has black leather seats...I don't like black leather...burns my ass in the summertime. :p

• Haha
Reactions: Captante
May 13, 2009
I've been searching on rhe auto trader and Ford websites...can't find what I want within 200 miles. :(

Almost every Lariat edition F-150 has black leather seats...I don't like black leather...burns my ass in the summertime. :p
Get a King ranch. Brown leather thick enough for a horse saddle. Or even better custom order your truck. I've owned a lariat before and it was a nice ass truck. It was a 5.0. I own a single cab f150 xl Ecoboost right now. Just needed something cheap that could pull a trailer and help me take care of my property. I think I prefer the Ecoboost due to fuel economy. Exception is when pulling a trailer the mpg drops like a rock. I average 22 to 24mpg normal driving with the Ecoboost. Pulling a trailer and it's down to 10mpg.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I'm confused. You are complaining about the price of trucks and got bored and bought a tiny car?

Time - it changes everything, including tastes, opinions and desires.

Today you want a cheap truck, next year you want a convertible. Go figure.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Get a King ranch. Brown leather thick enough for a horse saddle. Or even better custom order your truck. I've owned a lariat before and it was a nice ass truck. It was a 5.0. I own a single cab f150 xl Ecoboost right now. Just needed something cheap that could pull a trailer and help me take care of my property. I think I prefer the Ecoboost due to fuel economy. Exception is when pulling a trailer the mpg drops like a rock. I average 22 to 24mpg normal driving with the Ecoboost. Pulling a trailer and it's down to 10mpg.

We had a 2005 King Ranch Expedition. That "Castano" leather" was nice...but a real PITA to maintain. Neither of us is a fan of the new KR leather.

new:

aag.sized.jpg

After several years sitting in the California sun:

aay.sized.jpg

I've owned cars with leather seats for decades. NEVER have I had the kinds of problems maintaining the leather like I did that stuff. i tried most of the "better" leather conditioners...from the low-end Lexol stuff to Connolley's Hide Food, and even Leatherique, which is almost leather magic.

What you see is exactly why Ford discontinues it and went to different leather for their King Ranch rigs.

11.jpg

edit...damn-U...I found a 2019 KR that has most of the features I want...it's over 100 miles away...and might already be sold...but you got me looking at them.

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Speaking of trucks, Toyota is having a special on Tacoma trucks. If you have good credit, you can have almost any 2020 Tacoma for 0% up to 60 months right now. Not bad. Not sure if I want a 5ft or 6ft bed truck. The one I like (SR5) is about $33K before negotiation, sale tax, tittle, and fees.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Damn it...I don't qualify as an "essential worker" to buy a new truck... could be at least a couple of weeks before that restriction is relaxed.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I have a slicer already! But I just bought a better slicer with more attachments! I bought a Mandolin slicer!!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I have a slicer already! But I just bought a better slicer with more attachments! I bought a Mandolin slicer!!

We have a couple. i took a huge chunk of my finger off with the newest one. I had planned to grab the holder chingadera when I got close to the blade...got there faster than I expected... :oops: