What are you buying with your $1200 check?

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
How many of them immediately re-borrowed the money?
Sadly, zero right now. They're flush, $1200/ adult, $500/kid, some getting $900/wk unemployment. If the idiotic idea of $2K/mo passes, I'll have to find a new line of work. I need that $ to be loaned out to make babies.

In a normal tax season with EITCs and such, I'll see them again within 2 months. $6K refunds just don't go as far as they used to. :rolleyes:

The wife is the director of a center where they help women while pregnant and post. One of her baby Mamas got $2200 for herself and 3 kids. Spent $900 in 1 hour at walmart and the rest before the week was out.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Do you preheat the pan like a pizza stone?

Yes, I preheated the Challenger pan for 45 minutes (base + lid). I'd be curious to see how it fares with a cold start. Cold starts don't affect Dutch-oven no-knead bread too much:

The Challenger oven is a beast! It pretty much does the same job as a $50 Dutch oven, but it's soooooo much easier to work with. Plus you can do oval breads or a pair of demi-baguettes. I did do a side-by-side comparison the other day with doing it just a sheet pan with a tray of water, and it came out a lot better in the Challenger oven - no burnt bottom, more control over the crust, etc. Like, with the crust, you usually bake it for say 30 minutes, then pop the lid off for the last 10 or 15 minutes to brown it up & crisp it up a but, so you get more control that way too. At that point, the handles on the lid make it easy to remove, plus the flat tray makes it easy to load the bread - no more trying to get the dough into a hot & deep Dutch oven!

I'm getting better at demi-baguettes. This one was a same-day no-knead recipe with bread flour, but then I did a cold ferment overnight. Flavor came out noticeably better with even just a single night in the fridge. A really good pizza dough I use has a 72-hour cold ferment, and I've messed with Kenji's cold ferment method for his Better No-Knead bread procedure in the past. It's amazingly easy between using either the no-knead method or a Kitchenaid stand mixer...like a max of 5 minutes of active hands-on time per day lol. Definitely tearing down some mental barriers about the amount of effort & time required for amazing homemade bread! Having the right procedure & right equipment makes all the difference in the world in terms of actually doing it on a regular basis imo.

crumb.png

Reactions: JEDIYoda

NewSilkTurtle

Apr 8, 2002
The money landed today. My list includes -

-- have the electrician put one more grounded outlet in my house (complete rewiring needed but will have to wait)
-- hire someone to help me finish building my backyard fence
-- buy some nice beds for my cats and a pillow for me
-- maybe get a refurbished mini-desktop PC to replace my 12-year-old laptop
-- put the rest in savings for when I can travel again, and finally drive to visit an old friend I haven't seen in 20 years

NewSilkTurtle

Apr 8, 2002
Yup, wages have not increased to keep up with the rise in cost of the newer cars, doesn't help that some people take what they drive way too serious and opt to buy a vehicle they can barley afford. Don't want to look like a scrub driving around in a KIA Soul now do we?. Lots of dealerships of late advertising 80 month loans, no down payment, 3 months of payments free and 3 months deferred plus cars delivered right to your door, sanitized.
My last new car purchase was in 1984. I'm still driving it today. It runs great 'cause I kept it up and it's a Toyota, but the body is rusting out enough that it's no longer safe on a frame-engaging lift. I've also kept my credit rating up, but with the price of cars nowadays I won't be able to finance one until my mortgage has been paid off -- when I'm 83 years old and will probably be too blind to drive safely.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Got my check in the mail today. I still don't understand why they mailed it instead of DD'ing it like they do our SS...but fuck it...I'll still take it.

I stopped and looked at a 2020 F-150 Lariat today. Pretty truck...$59,250 MSRP. :eek:
My first brand-new truck was 1976 Dodge Power Wagon with a 440 cu/in engine. $7500 out the door.

Reactions: Meghan54

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Bandcamp is having a commission-free day today so the artists get 100% of the sale prices for their music.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Got my check in the mail today. I still don't understand why they mailed it instead of DD'ing it like they do our SS...but fuck it...I'll still take it.

I stopped and looked at a 2020 F-150 Lariat today. Pretty truck...$59,250 MSRP. :eek:
My first brand-new truck was 1976 Dodge Power Wagon with a 440 cu/in engine. $7500 out the door.
Looks at check. Looks at truck. Looks at check....

Screw it, Hooters is open.

• Haha
Reactions: Meghan54
Nov 8, 2012
$60k for a fucking pickup truck? Jeebus, what does a 2020 truck have that a 2014 or so doesn't?

My first car was a Toyota Tacoma, shit ran just just fine.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
$60k for a fucking pickup truck? Jeebus, what does a 2020 truck have that a 2014 or so doesn't?

My first car was a Toyota Tacoma, shit ran just just fine.

Vehicles have increased in costs dramatically since then. Fully loaded Full sized pick ups are now around $70k.

Fully loaded midsized trucks can go for $50k+ MSRP and that’s not just the Gladiator. Tacos can get up there in the $50k range too.

The thing is though current mid sized truck are about the same sized as full sized from and full sized trucks are now giant monstrosities.

Nov 8, 2012
Vehicles have increased on costs dramatically since then. Fully loaded Full sized pick ups are now around $70k.

Fully loaded midsized trucks can go for $55k MSRP and that’s not just the Gladiator. Tacos can get up there in the $50k range too.

Man, I get it - vehicle values are increasing (god knows why - especially for shit American brands like Ford/GM), but why not just buy a used Truck?

In my case, I'm buying a newer SUV because my wife think MPG makes a difference worth a shit and wants higher MPG (Hybrid even)... but if you're driving a Truck, god knows you don't care about MPG.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Man, I get it - vehicle values are increasing (god knows why - especially for shit American brands like Ford/GM), but why not just buy a used Truck?

In my case, I'm buying a newer SUV because my wife think MPG makes a difference worth a shit and wants higher MPG (Hybrid even)... but if you're driving a Truck, god knows you don't care about MPG.

I know used makes better financial sense...but you just don't know what kind of problems you're buying, how that used vehicle was maintained...or how it was driven. Fuck that shit.
As for mileage...my current 2018 F-150 gets better mileage (rated 17-23, gets 20-22) than my 2010 Subaru Outback (rated 22-29, gets ~19-21) and the truck is tons more comfortable, has MUCH more room, and I can haul all kinds of stuff. IF we decide to get a new truck, the Subaru is going away as well as the "old" 2018 F-150)

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I know used makes better financial sense...but you just don't know what kind of problems you're buying, how that used vehicle was maintained...or how it was driven. Fuck that shit.
As for mileage...my current 2018 F-150 gets better mileage (rated 17-23, gets 20-22) than my 2010 Subaru Outback (rated 22-29, gets ~19-21) and the truck is tons more comfortable, has MUCH more room, and I can haul all kinds of stuff. IF we decide to get a new truck, the Subaru is going away as well as the "old" 2018 F-150)

how much crap are you hauling now that you’re old as heck?

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
One of the guys at work was going on the other day about he was glad he won't get his thru DD & will "get a check with Trump's signature on it!!!" Said he could sell it for 2K!
Me--> o_O :rolleyes:
Today i told him he could have the letter i received for 3K :D

Nov 8, 2012
The thing with used is that it's just simply hard to pass off a crappy treated vehicle without you noticing.

Below are simple things you can do:
1. Stereotype the owner. Do they maintain vehicles or are they cheap fuckers?
2. Look in certain areas for rust for potential flood damage.
3. All else, pay a mechanic $100 to inspect it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Bought this laptop, but the check didn't cover it. Actually, don't have the check yet. Was supposed to be auto deposited to my checking but didn't happen. Supposedly the check went out in the mail today, if the website was right... have no idea.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
how much crap are you hauling now that you’re old as heck?

in the past year, I've hauled the lumber and materials to build my greenhouse, raised beds, fencing, chain link panels for my blueberries, 5 yards of garden soil, a couple of yards of bark, a couple of yards of driveway gravel, logs from the beach, dozens of floats and other flotsam and jetsam found on the beach...
My truck has to earn its keep. It's not just a soccer mom car.

Nov 8, 2012
in the past year, I've hauled the lumber and materials to build my greenhouse, raised beds, fencing, chain link panels for my blueberries, 5 yards of garden soil, a couple of yards of bark, a couple of yards of driveway gravel, logs from the beach, dozens of floats and other flotsam and jetsam found on the beach...
My truck has to earn its keep. It's not just a soccer mom car.
Was it also through fifteen miles in the snow?