What are you buying with your $1200 check?

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
How cool is that...

The auto loan business is a big bubble, imo. The price of cars and the length of loans is crazy. Had a 19y.o. apply for a loan. He was working as a temp and someone made him a loan on a new jeep for $750/mo. He hadn't even made his 1st payment yet. That one's going back.

It's the housing bubble all over again. People getting loans for things that they shouldn't have been eligible for in the first place.

The difference is that it's legally and physically easier to repo a car than to kick people out of a house.... So I'm not sure if it's going to have the same results - but still.

And for the love of fuck I'm trying to be a used SUV and these fucking Toyota RAV4s are holding their value. I see used ones for $22k - yet I can buy a new one for $25k. wtf mate?

Nov 8, 2012
Seriously, I might make 1 out of 50. Many just don't pay their debts. If they stole from 5 other finance companies, odds are good that they won't pay me.

1 out of 50 of your customers pay back their debt? How much of your time is spent paying for people to repo shit and get orders?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
1 out of 50 of your customers pay back their debt? How much of your time is spent paying for people to repo shit and get orders?
No, 1 out of 50 applications that I take. Charge off was only about 4% last year, my best. Worst year was 10%. I have a good customer base.

I do my own collections but I rarely take a car title so no repoes.
I could show you the stubs.
Maybe just the tips.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Wife is le picky and is making all these demands for better MPG, 2015 or earlier, rear view camera, blah blah blah.

I'm keeping an eye on their hybrid models.

Good luck with finding a cheap used rav4 hybrid. That’s a unicorn... New they don’t move much off MSRP even in a time of Corona discounts...

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Yup, got my signed paperwork about a week later haha
Just got mine deposited this AM, think we were overpaid, my chk acct. had the $2,400 for me/wife and hers additionally had $1,200 deposited in it. Didn't know about any "paperwork" mailed afterwards, was hoping "government error in your favor" meant no one knew about it.

Reactions: highland145

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
How cool is that...

The auto loan business is a big bubble, imo. The price of cars and the length of loans is crazy. Had a 19y.o. apply for a loan. He was working as a temp and someone made him a loan on a new jeep for $750/mo. He hadn't even made his 1st payment yet. That one's going back.
Yup, wages have not increased to keep up with the rise in cost of the newer cars, doesn't help that some people take what they drive way too serious and opt to buy a vehicle they can barley afford. Don't want to look like a scrub driving around in a KIA Soul now do we?. Lots of dealerships of late advertising 80 month loans, no down payment, 3 months of payments free and 3 months deferred plus cars delivered right to your door, sanitized.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I got a water softener. I had wanted one earlier since the hard water seems to be destroying all the plumbing in the house but wife was against it because its another PITA thing (which she's right it is). But we got water tested and we had slightly elevated gross alpha radiation, not Chernobyl or anything but enough it was probably worth doing something about. That ate up most of it.

I also bought a 1TB SSD. I think I'm done though.

Reactions: highland145

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I got a water softener. I had wanted one earlier since the hard water seems to be destroying all the plumbing in the house but wife was against it because its another PITA thing (which she's right it is). But we got water tested and we had slightly elevated gross alpha radiation, not Chernobyl or anything but enough it was probably worth doing something about. That ate up most of it.

I also bought a 1TB SSD. I think I'm done though.

err how is sodium ion exchange better?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
err how is sodium ion exchange better?

I don't understand the question.

Apparently there are two types of radiation in the water, one is mitigated with RO systems and one with softeners. We appear to have the kind softeners mitigate but we'll need to retest to see.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I don't understand the question.

Apparently there are two types of radiation in the water, one is mitigated with RO systems and one with softeners. We appear to have the kind softeners mitigate but we'll need to retest to see.

how is replacing calcium and magnesium with sodium remove radiation from your water?

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Now buying a new bong as I have dropped mine in the basement. Quarantine nightmare!

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Now buying a new bong as I have dropped mine in the basement. Quarantine nightmare!

Why not take the time to do a nice DIY?

goose.jpg

Reactions: Meghan54

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
how is replacing calcium and magnesium with sodium remove radiation from your water?

Beats me. According to google and the info from the state testing lab it does. We haven't tested yet so we'll have to see.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Putting the Challenger bread pan to good use today. This thing is a beast! Ciabatta using bread flour was on the menu today:

I've used the Challenger baking vessel twice now. It's crazy expensive at $300, but it's also a super-niche product, and the price is on-par with high-end Dutch ovens like Le Creuset sells. Features I like:

1. The handles are awesome. Side handles & top handles. It makes it soooo easy to get in & out of the oven, and to take the lid off mid-bake.

2. It's basically an upside-down Dutch oven. The flat bottom makes loading even wet doughs really easy...but you don't have to worry about burning your fingers because it's not deep!

3. Oven spring seems good so far. Didn't have to spray water inside my oven or put a pan of water inside my oven, so the steam-trapping feature of the sealed design seems to be working.

4. It will last several generations. Definitely one of those "buy it for life" products. I'll be using this on a near-daily basis for the next year, so we'll see how it holds up long-term!
Do you preheat the pan like a pizza stone?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I got a reduced stimulus check but I wanted to take this moment and thank all of you taxpayers for my customers stimulus checks.

How's that for being a douchebag and a loan shark?

Attachments

• 0501201525.jpg
    0501201525.jpg
    851.3 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: lxskllr

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I got a reduced stimulus check but I wanted to take this moment and thank all of you taxpayers for my customers stimulus checks.

How's that for being a douchebag and a loan shark?
How many of them immediately re-borrowed the money?

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I sometimes log into my bank account with the hopes of seeing the government making a mistake and giving me a stimulus check. Sadly, it hasn't happened yet.