What are you buying with your $1200 check?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Spending over $3k on a purse leave your wallets too empty to spend $300 on something you'll actually get some use out of? :p
Who said this is about money? :D. She can't want something if she doesn't know about it. This is about winning by default.

Reactions: snoopy7548

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Really bothers me that so many people are whining about not being able to pay for things and at the same time so many people are whining they can't buy enough useless shit with their government handout.

Maybe the government should not be sending checks to citizens.
Maybe the government should be sending checks to landlords.

Reactions: Kaido

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah...no. His vig is too steep for me.

I just checked the IRS " get my payment" site...FINALLY says " you're eligible for payment," but in spite of having my SS direct deposited for many years, they said they needed my DD info. :mad:
If you receive an SSA or RRB Form 1099 or SSI or VA benefits, your information is not yet available in this application.

When can I start checking Get My Payment for the status of my payment?
If you filed your 2018 or 2019 tax return and it has been processed, you can check Get My Payment for the status of your economic impact payment.

I am not required to file a tax return, can I still use Get My Payment to check my payment status?
Depending on your specific circumstances, it may not be possible for you to access Get My Payment if you usually do not file a tax return. If your identity cannot be verified when answering the required security questions, you will not be able to use Get My Payment.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

yeah, hell, I went through all that crap a week ago. Filled out the "non-filers" info even though I file every year...but have had to pay because the stupid Obamacare health care plan finder always over-calculates the tax credit...and I still got the "based on the information we have, we are unable to determine your eligibility" bullshit...until this morning. Probably because they FINALLY got the info from SSA.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I've decided to bake every single day for a year. I created an Instagram account:

https://www.instagram.com/_bread365/

I'll be using this hashtag:

#Bread365

Maybe I should call it #Bake365 instead lol. Oh well. First loaf (no-knead) came out pretty flat & dense - 100% whole-grain wheat, freshly-milled from heirloom turkey red wheat berries. Wasn't terrible, but definitely needed toasting & a LOT of butter haha! Well, only 365 loaves left to perfect the process!

x6uyO8F.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: snoopy7548

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
To those that are having issues with the IRS website (unable to determine the eligibility), you have to keep trying. I finally was able to log in yesterday and entered my bank data for direct deposit. Have to keep trying once per day because the IRS is updating the data daily.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I filled out the form on the 15th, website still says they don't have a date for the payment.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
This is ATOT. I thought we all made $1M+, drove supercars, and slept with supermodels. so none of us would qualify for $1200?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I refused the governments offer of bailout money!
I can easily afford to pay my Jet Pilot and crew!
I can also afford to pay my yacht crew!
Then I have a helicopter that I pay the pilot 24/7 to be on call!
That doesn`t include the cook and wait staff at my summer home in the Bahamas!
Then I also have to pay the housekeepers and waitstaff and cook at my main estate just outside Paris , France!
Then I have kept my personnel assistant and my 4 body guards who travel and are on call 24/7...
I have a my fulltime mechanic who lives in the bungalow behind my 12 car garage.....
It is not easy being filthy rich, but somebody has to do it!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Meghan54

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Spent about $2200 on Apple products. Although ~$950 of it I got back from selling a laptop I had, that's still a little over the $1200 mark that went towards the rest. Thanks Trump.

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Spent about $2200 on Apple products. Although ~$950 of it I got back from selling a laptop I had, that's still a little over the $1200 mark that went towards the rest. Thanks Trump.

I really want an iPad Pro & Pencil 2.0. The CAD stuff looks super amazing for designing stuff on the go! Too bad I already blew it on kitchen crap lol. Maybe Mr. Trump will send another check!!

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
What'd we do with our $2400 in COVID Cash, as well as the at least 5 x $600 add. unemployment money? Spent it all, naturally. ;)

Well, first, finished two new computers......(reused some old, viable parts, tho...)

Wife's:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X with the 3700X's Prism heatsink
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
16GB G.Skill DDR4-3200
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD
MSI Gaming Z RTX 2060 (reused my old card, so new to her ;) )
Seasonic 660W-XP2 plat. power supply (reused her old one)
Corsair Carbide Spec-02 case (her choice)

Mine:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Noctua U12S chromax.black
MSI MEG X570 ACE
32GB G. Skill DDR4-3600
WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe
Gigabyte Gaming OC 3X 8G RTX 2070 Super
Antec HCP-750 (resued)
Corsair Air 540 (reused)

Paid off a few owed things....paid off her little car (bal. <$1k), put $1600 into our savings pot for a new roof (which gets us there, months early! Yay!)

Bunch small crap like clothes, new boots, had to replace batteries in truck and mower in same week....dammitall.....so I splurged and bought an AGM for the truck. Wouldn't have if not for the Obama Bucks....

Of course, we are in a fairly good position. Own our house outright, so no mortgage payments. Now own both our vehicles outright. Only a couple of our cc's have any sort of balance on them. The major repair we're facing (roof on house) just had its savings bucket filled up months early thanks to the O'Bucks, so we're pretty good all around....knock on wood.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
No check for me :(
But at least I tax-loss harvested in my non tax-advantaged account, so that's something!

same here
BLOW5do.png

come to think of it, that should save about 1200$ on my taxes this year (and next year and the year after and the year after)

i could transition back to my original holdings of VTSAX/VTIAX again, but haven't been able to pull the trigger

maybe i should just do it tomorrow

Nov 8, 2012
same here
BLOW5do.png

come to think of it, that should save about 1200$ on my taxes this year (and next year and the year after and the year after)

i could transition back to my original holdings of VTSAX/VTIAX again, but haven't been able to pull the trigger

maybe i should just do it tomorrow

What do you bounce between for your tax loss harvesting to ensure it isn't seen as a "viable alternative" or whatever the legal definition is.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
No check for me, but I am in the market for a bandsaw. I'm having trouble deciding between the 10" WEN (for ~$250), which will resaw up to 6", or the 14" Grizzly G0555LX, with the same resaw capacity (though it will accept a 6" riser block) for $625. Seems that the Grizzly is better-built.

I have considered the Laguna 14|12 or 14BX (buy once, cry once), but I can't see myself needing the capabilities of either. I'd probably be working mostly with smaller pieces.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
What do you bounce between for your tax loss harvesting to ensure it isn't seen as a "viable alternative" or whatever the legal definition is.

i went from a total US fund like VTSAX to a large cap only one, VLCAX. and i exchanged the total international fund VTIAX to an older ex-US one VFWAX that for some reason has never included canada.

since i track shares using the specific ID cost basis method, i was able to only sell the VTSAX and VTIAX lots that had losses while keeping the ones i bought forever ago and still had gains on.

so i've got 4 funds instead of 2 and it would be nice to just switch back to 2. since it has been more than 31 days since i did the original transactions, i should be able to switch back now (though my VLCAX and VFWAX have some gains so it'll reduce my total loss by maybe %20-30).