What are you buying with your $1200 check?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I'd love to buy a new GFX card, but....
Need to replace my fence, wife not amused about GFX card suggestion.
So the fence is being paid for by Uncle Sam, I guess it's now and 'infrastructure' project :p

• Haha
Reactions: highland145

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
I'd love to buy a new GFX card, but....
Need to replace my fence, wife not amused about GFX card suggestion.
So the fence is being paid for by Uncle Sam, I guess it's now and 'infrastructure' project :p

Your fence is being paid for by the next two or three generations of American taxpayers, not the government.

Reactions: BudAshes

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I qualified today for the CERB (Canadian Emergency Response Benefit) which will give $500 per week for up to 16 weeks.

Ontario has extended the lock down another 28 days so our store won't re-open before June. I really want to go back to work.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
So why isn't it being sent out in the form of food stamps if people were at the point of gov't cash desperation? People will be buying new iPhones with this.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Looks like I'll mostly be using mine to pay for vehicular labor, getting tires installed, brakes done, and an exhaust pipe welded.

Nov 8, 2012
So why isn't it being sent out in the form of food stamps if people were at the point of gov't cash desperation? People will be buying new iPhones with this.

To be honest - that's precisely what our economy needs.

Everyone having food at grocery stores is step 1 - for sure.

Step 2 is everyone continuing to have jobs from the consumer demand for other items (clothing, electronics, etc...) That's what keeps people employed. That's what we have to ensure that we have when this is all done.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Government wants you to spend the money. They want you to buy new iPhones and new GTX graphics card. US is consumer driven economy. It needs people to spend money to function. Which is why it would've been better to give each person like $20,000 rather than give trillions to Wall Street.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Good point, I'll definitely buy some local beer and get take-out from some of my favorite restaurants too.

Reactions: Ajay
Nov 8, 2012
Government wants you to spend the money. They want you to buy new iPhones and new GTX graphics card. US is consumer driven economy. It needs people to spend money to function. Which is why it would've been better to give each person like $20,000 rather than give trillions to Wall Street.

Yeah on top of that there is also just having money for other necessities... e.g. car repairs, home repair services, etc...

Reactions: Brainonska511
May 13, 2009
Got $2400. Looks like mine will go to savings and adding onto my concrete driveway. Mostly the concrete work. Imagine it's going to be around 2k. Getting the estimate tomorrow. For all those just scraping by and using it for bills hopefully things turn around soon for you.

Reactions: highland145
May 13, 2009
Exactly. Let us sort out what companies survive. We will vote with our wallets. GM should have rightfully went under the last go round. They repaid us by shipping the jobs to Mexico. Hell Honda and Toyota build more here than they do.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I think I'm going to spring for a Mockmill:

It's a kitchen gadget designed to mill wheat berries. Going into full prepper mode, haha! It uses special corundum-ceramic milling stones to make flour. I plan on using it primarily to make wheat flour and corn flour. In turn, I can use that for tortillas, bread, pasta, etc. It can do both corn flour (ex. for corndogs) and corn meal (ex. for cornbread).

If you store the wheat berries in a food-safe plastic bucket with an oxygen absorb in a cool room, it can last like 8 years. I'll have to do the math on bulk wheat berries with shipping, but only having to buy a supply like once a year sounds pretty nice! Plus you can do lots of other stuff with it...corn grits, grind up herbs & spices, etc. They start at $280 all the way up to $680, depending on the size, speed, and design you want. Pretty nice rig:

The beast has arrived:

eX0jDXn.png

The unit is ridiculously well-designed (wooden grain mill on the right, my old stand mixer is on the left). I milled a few cups of wheat with it in no time tonight. The sheer convenience of it in terms of speed & cleanup will ensure that it gets used on a near-daily basis.

I setup a new batch of sourdough starter using freshly-milled wheat tonight, as well as some no-knead dough for tomorrow. I didn't sift anything or get fancy with double-runs to make it even finer yet, just did a quick test-run & then a first-pass batch from hard red wheat berries. I plan on milling pretty much daily for the next month to get the hang of it & then get down to some serious bakin' business!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The beast has arrived:

eX0jDXn.png

The unit is ridiculously well-designed (wooden grain mill on the right, my old stand mixer is on the left). I milled a few cups of wheat with it in no time tonight. The sheer convenience of it in terms of speed & cleanup will ensure that it gets used on a near-daily basis.

I setup a new batch of sourdough starter using freshly-milled wheat tonight, as well as some no-knead dough for tomorrow. I didn't sift anything or get fancy with double-runs to make it even finer yet, just did a quick test-run & then a first-pass batch from hard red wheat berries. I plan on milling pretty much daily for the next month to get the hang of it & then get down to some serious bakin' business!

how do you get fresh wheat?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The beast has arrived:

eX0jDXn.png

That's pretty cool. I think my wife would like this, but I'm not going to show her since she might want it. :D.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Mochiko Sweet Rice Flour
how do you get fresh wheat?

You buy them as wheat kernels or "wheat berries". You can get it locally, order it online from a retailer, or get it straight from a farm. There's a pretty good list here:

It lasts between 10 to 30 years, depending on how you store it:

There are many different types of wheat to choose from (soft white, hard red, emmer, einkorn, etc.). This is a fairly new game for me, as I usually just stick with AP flour & sometimes bread flour, which is typically bleached & enriched to make it shelf-stable:

More on the history of flour here:

The problem with grinding your own wheat is that it has oil in it, which causes it to go rancid in a few days, which is why mills have to grind & then treat the flour to make it shelf stable. Grinding at home using wheat kernels produces fresh wheat, which has several advantages:

1. It has more nutrition in it, so it's healthier
2. It has more flavor
3. It smells better
4. Because you can buy it in bulk & store it for a really long time, you get food security (#preppers lol)

I don't really know enough about milling at home to know if this can replace AP flour for all of my baking. Been doing a lot of reading lately:

But because $1,200 magically came into my life & I'm fortunate enough to be able to work remotely during these crazy times so that I still have an income, I decided to blow some of it on the mill. There are a lot of residential milling machines on the market; the Mock Mill in particular has a new-style design that uses stones (two stone discs, like a sandwich with the grain in the middle) to crush the wheat berries into a very fine flour. It comes in a residential & "pro" version, with either a small motor or a big motor. The base unit starts at $279 & the high-end unit is $659. I went with the top-end model, the Pro 200:

Justification, because I am a nerd:

1. It has a mega 12-year residential-use warranty
2. It has an output of 200 grams or 7 ounces per minute, so no waiting around forever for it to work
3. It can run non-stop because it has a cooling system built-in
4. It is easy to clean (just run some white rice through it, that's it!)
5. It is super convenient to use, due to the hi-speed & easy cleanup, which means (1) it's earned a permanent spot on my admittedly limited counter space, and (2) it will get used on a near-daily basis

Contrary to external appearances, I'm actually not that skilled of a cook, I just like convenience tools (Instant Pot etc.) & have gotten good at checklists (which is more or less the secret to doing anything, really). So the more I can make myself apt to use something because it's quick, easy, and convenient, the more I'll actually make stuff with it because I don't have to set things up & do a bunch of work. Proactive laziness FTW!

So far I have milled flour, corn, and rice. The corn makes the machine get stuck, but after watching a video on it, you have to do big things like seeds on the a rougher setting & then run it back through on a finer setting, that way the stones don't get stuck trying to grind hard stuff that's too big to fit between them. The list of stuff you can grind is pretty awesome:

1. All 7 types of grain (wheat, rye, oats, barley, corn, brown & white rice, millet and the respective subtypes such as spelt)
2. Kamut
3. Quinoa
4. Amaranth
5. Triticale
6. Dry legumes
7. Durum
8. Beans
9. Buckwheat
10. Chickpea
11. Corn
12. Lentils
13. Oil seeds, if done together with dry grains
14. Peas
15. Sorghum
16. Teff
17. Spices & herbs (anise, annato, coriander, cumin, dill, fennel, mustard, peppercorns, red pepper flakes, salt, etc.)
18. Probably some more stuff I haven't discovered yet

This machine is actually a pretty big piece of the kitchen self-sufficiency program I've been working on over the years. It started back with a coffee grinder...I'm not a coffee guy, but the Krups grinder did an excellent job grinding spices. The latest model actually has a removable cup, which makes it even more handy:

I got into dehydrating & then started grinding up some of my own stuff, especially after taking a spice-cooking class & realizing how much flavor I was missing out on. Then I discovered Indian food stores, which sold bulk spices for cheap! Huuuuuge flavor difference when stuff is freshly-ground! I eventually sprung for a good mortar & pestle as well. Over time I collected a few more gadgets, like a Philips Smart Pasta Maker (very interested to see how fresh wheat extrudes on that bad boy) & a cast-iron tortilla press, so that I could use flour bought in bulk (just picked up a 20-pound sack of flour from Sam's Club for $7) to make stuff at home.

I'm super excited to use the ground corn this weekend for stuff like polenta, grits, cornbread, and corndogs. Lots of projects for wheat (breads, tortillas, cookies, etc.). I'm curious to see if I can replicate Mochiko's Sweet Rice Flour as well, for things like mochi, sesame balls, etc. as well.

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
That's pretty cool. I think my wife would like this, but I'm not going to show her since she might want it. :D.

If you have a Kitchenaid, they sell an attachment:

I plan on using my mill on pretty much a daily basis, so I wanted a dedicated unit. Not cheap, but hey, free Trump bucks! (which fortunately didn't have to be earmarked for other things, lol) Not to go full-on prepper, but I do have concerns about the stability of the food chain for the rest of the year, especially since the baking aisles in all of the local grocery stores are STILL sold out of everything from salt to flour. I like the idea of being self-sufficient (at least, to some extent, to ride out future problems like natural disasters, pandemics, wars, inclement weather, etc.) & I've already seen how much of an impact cooking at home has had (1) on my monthly budget (as a HUGE reduction from eating out all the time, lol), and (2) in the quality of my food (flavor, convenience, nutrition, etc.), so this standalone, heavy-duty unit seals the deal for countertop convenience for me!

Dec 10, 2005

Yeah on top of that there is also just having money for other necessities... e.g. car repairs, home repair services, etc...
Pretty much this. Better to just hand people cash so they can decide what they need to put the money towards.

Nov 8, 2012
Pretty much this. Better to just hand people cash so they can decide what they need to put the money towards.
That and even with programs like food stamps, while you would think it's good to be restrictive with programs one Google of what people actually spend their SNAP dollars on will make you realize it's pointless.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

Spending over $3k on a purse leave your wallets too empty to spend $300 on something you'll actually get some use out of? :p

Reactions: ponyo