What are you buying with your $1200 check?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I really want an iPad Pro & Pencil 2.0. The CAD stuff looks super amazing for designing stuff on the go! Too bad I already blew it on kitchen crap lol. Maybe Mr. Trump will send another check!!

I bought my daughter the 12.9 iPad Pro and Pencil 2.0 because she likes to draw. For drawing, the larger iPad Pro is better. I bought my wife the smaller iPad Pro with the pencil but she rarely uses it.

Reactions: WhoBeDaPlaya

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
What do you bounce between for your tax loss harvesting to ensure it isn't seen as a "viable alternative" or whatever the legal definition is.
IRS' officially definition is something that is "substantially similar", but in practice, they don't seem to care if you flip say IWM <-> VBK or some such.
I got lucky twice; first is TLHing early March, second is flipping VTSAX to a combination of MM and AMZN. Absolutely unbelievable that AMZN cratered to < $1700, and is now exceeding Feb's ATHs in the middle of the beer virus!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I bought my daughter the 12.9 iPad Pro and Pencil 2.0 because she likes to draw. For drawing, the larger iPad Pro is better. I bought my wife the smaller iPad Pro with the pencil but she rarely uses it.

I thought the 12.9" would be too monstrous, but it's actually pretty nice! I would probably get scary addicted to Procreate & Shapr if I bought one tho lol.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
One thing I've noticed is because of the stimulus checks and maybe people being stuck at home, any on sale gaming desktops at Costco.com sells out fast. Same with videogames on Amazon. Prices have gone up closer to MSRP.

But I'm glad people here are getting their money. I'm happy for everyone. It would've been nicer if every American over the age of 18 regardless of income received $10,000 each. That would've cost about $2 trillion total. I would've preferred that over trillions Wall St. received. I think American people would've used that money far better than Wall St.

Nov 8, 2012
^ This. Trickle-down-economics is the biggest scam of the century.

You can keep giving people checks, but at the end of the recession, who is going to have employment? $2,000 checks doesn't build businesses that employ people.

The first thing you have to worry about is sustaining an economy that can stand on its own 2 feet.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
So I went to Lowes today around 2PM to get a filter for the fridge. The parking lot and store was packed! I went inside and the lines for the register were very, very deep (even with social distance). So I left and did not buy anything.

I went over to Home Depot and it was worse! There was a damn line out the door and most parking was taken too. I did not even get out the car this time. :p

So now we know where the $1200 is going - home improvement - the little things you notice when you spend 6 weeks at home.

I wonder if this will translate to a higher stock price for HD and LOW?

Nov 8, 2012
So I went to Lowes today around 2PM to get a filter for the fridge. The parking lot and store was packed! I went inside and the lines for the register were very, very deep (even with social distance). So I left and did not buy anything.

I went over to Home Depot and it was worse! There was a damn line out the door and most parking was taken too. I did not even get out the car this time.

So now we know where the $1200 is going - home improvement - the little things you notice when you spend 6 weeks at home.

I wonder if this will translate to a higher stock price for HD and LOW?
Majority of Americans are still overall broke and can barely (if even) pay their rent/mortgage. Might look good in hindsight, but I'm sure overall just like any other retailer they are suffering

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
One thing I've noticed is because of the stimulus checks and maybe people being stuck at home, any on sale gaming desktops at Costco.com sells out fast. Same with videogames on Amazon. Prices have gone up closer to MSRP.

Seriously, I've probably helped pick out & configure more gaming PC's in the past month than I have since I got into computers, lol. Cash infusion + stuck at home = people wanna play games!

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Putting the Challenger bread pan to good use today. This thing is a beast! Ciabatta using bread flour was on the menu today:

I've used the Challenger baking vessel twice now. It's crazy expensive at $300, but it's also a super-niche product, and the price is on-par with high-end Dutch ovens like Le Creuset sells. Features I like:

1. The handles are awesome. Side handles & top handles. It makes it soooo easy to get in & out of the oven, and to take the lid off mid-bake.

2. It's basically an upside-down Dutch oven. The flat bottom makes loading even wet doughs really easy...but you don't have to worry about burning your fingers because it's not deep!

3. Oven spring seems good so far. Didn't have to spray water inside my oven or put a pan of water inside my oven, so the steam-trapping feature of the sealed design seems to be working.

4. It will last several generations. Definitely one of those "buy it for life" products. I'll be using this on a near-daily basis for the next year, so we'll see how it holds up long-term!

breadware.jpg

bread2.jpg

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
well i am glad i happened to come by today, i havent spent my check. im still working but there was a RIF right before the quarantines, and a pay cut last week.

but that challenger bread vessel is interesting, i will...send the link to a friend

Dec 10, 2005
I gave some to a COVID-19 relief fund set up by my city, bought a pair of binoculars my wife and I had been eyeing on Amazon (which cost very little after accounting for some gift cards and rewards available), and saved the rest, for now.

Reactions: Kaido

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Found out today that the IRS is mailing our check...even though I went online and update the direct deposit info...and it's the same account where our SS is directly deposited?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Found out today that the IRS is mailing our check...even though I went online and update the direct deposit info...and it's the same account where our SS is directly deposited?
A huge bureaucracy fucked something up?! Shens... It's so big cause of the redundant systems that make sure everything is right.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
well i am glad i happened to come by today, i havent spent my check. im still working but there was a RIF right before the quarantines, and a pay cut last week.

but that challenger bread vessel is interesting, i will...send the link to a friend

I've been through a fair amount of equipment over the years (Dutch oven, Baking Steel, Fourneau Oven, etc.) & for bread, I think this is the best one. It's a really smart design. Super expensive, but if you want to bake bread often, it makes it really really easy.

I typically either go the no-knead route or else use my Kitchenaid mixer. I don't do much hand-kneading due to my carpal. Total active time is typically just a few minutes a day. It's like brushing your teeth...setup the dough & then bake it a few hours later or the next day. Surprisingly easy! It's more about learning the process & mastering the checklist for what kind of results you personally want.

Right now I plan on baking bread every day for a year & really getting to know all of the different methods, flavors, textures, etc. After you get the initial equipment, it's a surprisingly cheap hobby. 20 pounds of flour is like $7 at Sam's Club. You can make sourdough starter with that for free. You can do mix-ins like walnuts & dried cranberry, Sriracha, shredded cheese, garlic, olives, etc. You can use it for bread, toast, French toast, croutons, stuffing, sandwiches, paninis, etc. Makes your house smell great, tastes good, great as a gift to people!

Nov 8, 2012
A huge bureaucracy fucked something up?! Shens... It's so big cause of the redundant systems that make sure everything is right.

B-b-b-ut... we can trust government to do historically inept things like direct depositing funds - why can't we trust them to properly handle more important things too?

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
System finally informed me I'm getting my loot via DD on Thursday, still unsure what I might get, probably just hang onto it for now.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Saving it for the incoming Intel mobo (Z490 with TB3), 10th (Comet-Lake S)/11th (Rocket-Lake S) Desktop CPU, 64GB/128GB DDR4, NVidia 3080Ti., and
1TB NVMe M.2 SSD

Or a Intel Z499 mobo, with corresponding X processor.

I want to upgrade my Sept 2012 build. Sabertooth X79, i7-3930K, 32GB DDR, R9 290X Crossfire.

Last edited:

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
I've been through a fair amount of equipment over the years (Dutch oven, Baking Steel, Fourneau Oven, etc.) & for bread, I think this is the best one. It's a really smart design. Super expensive, but if you want to bake bread often, it makes it really really easy.

I typically either go the no-knead route or else use my Kitchenaid mixer. I don't do much hand-kneading due to my carpal. Total active time is typically just a few minutes a day. It's like brushing your teeth...setup the dough & then bake it a few hours later or the next day. Surprisingly easy! It's more about learning the process & mastering the checklist for what kind of results you personally want.

Right now I plan on baking bread every day for a year & really getting to know all of the different methods, flavors, textures, etc. After you get the initial equipment, it's a surprisingly cheap hobby. 20 pounds of flour is like $7 at Sam's Club. You can make sourdough starter with that for free. You can do mix-ins like walnuts & dried cranberry, Sriracha, shredded cheese, garlic, olives, etc. You can use it for bread, toast, French toast, croutons, stuffing, sandwiches, paninis, etc. Makes your house smell great, tastes good, great as a gift to people!

oh we are about bread baking, my daughter and I both make homemade bread regularly and have for years -- I also have a kitchenaid. Lately my baking has been low and slow for softer sandwich loaves. If I am doing baguettes or something then I throw water in several times when I start -- not the same as a sealed vessel, of course. I've seen people do this with cast iron - sometimes by inverting one of these, or similar:

So, I like the bigger design,and love the extra handles on the challenger. I'd love one. I would be annoyed if i used the above dutch oven because it would be a pain to line up and move around. but lord...$75 bench knife, and $300 for cast iron thats not ceramic coated? I think i get the feel for these people. $100/150 or so would be pretty tempting one day. $300? yipes.

Reactions: Kaido