What are those 2 celestial objects near the moon now?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
They are very bright and very near each other (subtend a small arc, IOW), and not far from the moon. I figure them for planets, probably Venus and Mars (Mars being the less bright red one). Is that what they are?

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Muse
They are very bright and very near each other (subtend a small arc, IOW), and not far from the moon. I figure them for planets, probably Venus and Mars (Mars being the less bright red one). Is that what they are?

Venus, Jupiter.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: bsobel

Venus, Jupiter.
So, Jupiter is the red, less bright one?

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Too bad the picture is shopped, that'd be REALLY impressive.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: IsLNdbOi
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...id=38&threadid=2252454

I hope GA doesn't see this thread or you're going to get a mouthful from him. :p

So far so good.

Originally posted by: Aflac
Too bad the picture is shopped, that'd be REALLY impressive.

Tonight is supposed to be even more impressive, with all 3 objects (including the moon) being really close together. One of the planets will be covered up by the moon for a while. I won't be able to see it most likely -- it's been completely overcast here all day.

Oct 27, 2007

Venus, Jupiter.

The redness is probably in your head :) When you thought it might be Mars your brain filled in that little blank. The redness (really more brown) of Jupiter would not be visible to the unaided human eye.

DomS

Banned
Jul 15, 2008
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer

Venus, Jupiter.

The redness is probably in your head :) When you thought it might be Mars your brain filled in that little blank. The redness (really more brown) of Jupiter would not be visible to the unaided human eye.

I wish the eyepiece on my telescope wasn't out of order currently. I want to look at it.

JasonSix78

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2005
Just seen them a few minutes ago (east coast). Very cool. Wish I had a telescope.

walrus

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2000
It's hard to visualize, Venus is between us and the sun, while Jupiter is farther away, yet they appear to be together.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I put my smaller 6" reflector on it last night at low power, and despite being insanely bright (no filter for this scope) it's a nice site. Too damn cold to sit around trying to get a decent picture though. It actually looks better through my 20x80 binocs.