• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

What are the "rules" for this situation?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
38,039
361
136
I'm selling my Celeron II 566. I have one buyer who might want it, but wants me to wait until Monday. Not only that, he wants to pay me 1/2 now, 1/2 later & he's offering me less money than I asked for. Buyer #2 was second in line, is offering me the full amount, & is offering it now, up front. Buyer #2 wants an answer, Buyer #1 doesn't sound really sure of himself. Would it be considered OK to sell it to buyer #2, since buyer #1 isn't meeting my terms? Problem is I reluctantly told Buyer #1 that I'd wait for him.

Damn, this is frustrating.

:(

Viper GTS
 

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
12,686
2
81
It is a pretty tearing feeling...
Base it on your business ethics. If you can handle one petty (yes, petty) bad review from Buyer #1, I'd say 86 him and go with buyer#2. Otherwise, stick with buyer#1 and live in regret, but with the satisfaction of knowing you did the ethically right thing

yes, I know this did not help :(
 

Livin4Real

Senior member
Mar 25, 2000
239
0
0
Go with #2. He's ready to deal sounds like.If #1 gets mad so be it.Your respected here noone would think anything of it. Good Luck :)
 

Mister T

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
3,439
0
0
Since buyer 1 is not meeting your asking price and you have another
buyer willing to meet your asking price give buyer 1 a decision.

Tell buyer 1 to either pay your asking price or you will sell it to
buyer 2. As far as waiting goes, I think it should'nt matter unless
you are in SPECIAL circumstances were you need the money now now now.

BTW, I am not encouraging that you get the 2 buyers into a bidding war. I think its fair to get your asking price.
 

Bleeding Jawa

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
1,392
1
0
If you AGREED to buyer #1, it's his.
Otherwise, #2 met your price & your terms, so #1's "place in line" is meaningless.

OR....you could screw them both & sell it to me!!!! :D
(I REALLY wanted to buy it, but I bought another celeron a couple days ago...I'm trying to exercise restraint :| )
 

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
2,091
0
0
screw it. go with 2. hes ready to deal now..tell 1 you changed your mind. That is, unles syour out to be friends with these people....but number one sounds like a hassle waiting to happen.

btw I am secretly number 2.
 

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
38,039
361
136
I did agree to him...that's the whole problem. I agreed with him because he was first in line, but he's changed his mind twice. Once he said he probably wanted it, but wanted until Monday to make the decision. Then he said if I needed a decision quicker, go ahead and sell to Buyer #2. So I e-mailed Buyer #2 & said Buyer #1 backed out. Then Buyer #1 e-mails me again, & begs for Monday again... I reluctantly agreed to that, & now here I am. If it weren't for me telling Buyer #1 I'd wait, I'd sell to Buyer #2 in a heartbeat. Full price, money up front, etc. But then again that'd require me breaking my word... Which I really don't like doing.

Damn, damn, damn...

Viper GTS
 

Bleeding Jawa

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
1,392
1
0
Write #1 back & tell him you will hold it for him, but he will have to pay your asking price & pay it up front since #2 has agreed to do that & you are making special arrangements for #1.
 

Farbio

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2000
3,855
0
0
viper,
i would have to say i agree with - be honest with buyer one, tell him you have an offer of full price and immediate payment and that is what you are taking, but you are letting them make up their mind as to whether or not they still want the deal, but those are the terms. if they can't agree with that, then go w/ buyer 2. you are going out of your way to sell this to them, and if they used egay or ubid or any other auction, they would have to pay whatever the asking price was and remit full payment immediately, so this should be no different
 

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
27,063
869
126
You need to tell him he needs to do two things:
1. Commit
2. Pay your price.
Explain to him that you have a buyer who wants to buy it now for your price. Until you agree and money or product actually changes hands, you are in control of the sale. :)
By the way, traders who are wishy washy are a Pain in the ass. Good traders are not like that. Is this some newbie?
 

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
38,039
361
136
OK, I'm sending this e-mail to Buyer #1:

--- --- ---
Buyer #1...

I am really, really sorry, but after you told me to go ahead & sell it to somebody else, I e-mailed my next buyer & told him he could have it. Then you e-mailed me again, asking for Monday. I should not have agreed to that, since I'd already told someone else he could have it.

So, basically it's come down to this. Buyer #2, who will remain anonymous, has agreed to pay the full $110, & pay now. Unless you can match that, I'm going to have to sell the CPU to him.

Again, I'm sorry. I was definitely wrong here. Feel free to submit a heatware eval under the name "Viper GTS" if you wish.

Gregg
--- --- ---

That sound OK?

Viper GTS
 

Chooie

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 1999
2,266
4
81
That sounds fine. I would probably be a little more firm and not so apologetic, but it gets your point across. You are in this deal to sell a CPU, and you don't care who it goes to as long as you get your asking price. Buyer #1 needs to understand that, because you are not his friend. You are just some guy selling him something... keep that in mind :)
 

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
38,039
361
136
Problem solved.

:)

Buyer #1 e-mailed me back, all's good and well now. The CPU goes to Buyer #2 (if he wants it, this has been a big hassle for him, I'm sure). And I don't even have to worry about a bad heatware evaluation.

Thanks to those who responded, I was in a rather sticky situation. You guys helped a lot.

Viper GTS
 

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
27,063
869
126
Do you get to keep it til your new PIII gets there? It's all boxed and ready. I'm in Washington State, so it should be fast. :D
 

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
38,039
361
136
I don't know yet. I kinda hope so, but if I have to go a day or two without my computer I should be able to survive. Maybe I'll actually get some sleep. ;) I looked at my clock at 1 AM this morning, & realized "Oh crap... I have to be at work in 8 hours. And I haven't slept at all yet." That was four hours and 45 minutes ago, & I'm up again. Woke up after 4 hours or so, couldn't sleep, so I'm back online.

Viper GTS
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY