What are the pros and cons of trackball mice?

thespeakerbox

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2004
I dont game anymore, and thought I might try a trackball mouse.

What are the pros and cons of them? Are they particularly useful for certain tasks?

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
More tedious to roll a ball to move the cursor, imho, than flicking the mouse around with your wrist.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
I've used some version of a Logitech Marble trackball since the original Trackman FX. Nothing better IMO. Easy on the wrist. Requires very little space on the desk. Don't need to pay extra for wireless since the thing won't be moving around the desk (unless you need to mouse from a distance. My current Marble Mouse (actually a trackball, but it is shaped like a real mouse except the tail comes out the front instead of the rear) is ambidextrous and inexpensive - I got used to the finger ball from the FX, so the ones with the thumb ball are second rate to me, but you might like that instead.

.bh.

lenjack

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Personal preference, and what you are used to. When I started computing, I tried both, and to me, the trackball was the easy winner. If you try to change over after you get used to one type, figure about 2 weeks to get comfy again. Agree with above on the Logitech FX and the newer Marble USB.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
If you want to play games and not be terrible, you will need a mouse. Otherwise the above suggestions are valid.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
I forgot some cons, luckily there aren't many. The window thru which the sensing elements track the marble is usually susceptible to getting dusty, so tracking gradually deteriorates. Generally not quite as easy as a typical optical mouse to disassemble for cleaning. Mine is overdue for that.

.bh.

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
The only problems i have with the track man is the bearings teh track ball rests on get dust built up causing the ball to not spin as easily. But the ball can be easily poped out and the bearings can be wiped off. I much prefear the track man over a stansdard mouse even in games. Its more comfertable and you don't have to continually lift the mouse and repossition it while in a game. A simple flick of my thumb and i can spin the charicter around however i like. Plus the track ball mice are much larger so they fit larger hands.

lenjack

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Also, trackballs with index finger action seem to be easier and more precise than thumb action.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Absolutely love trackball mice, too bad no one really manufactures them anymore Though, they can be really tedious in games, especially FPS.

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
Guess you havn't been looking for one. Yes a few years ago Logitech stop producing there trackman wheel mouse. They got enough complaints about it they brought it back. They even offer a wireless version of it now. But yes the options are limited. I beleive there is only one other manufacture who produces them.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
got too used to the old marble FX. The new Logitech are kind of awkward for me. another reason is that I suck at gamins w/ trackball.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
I have used a thumb trackball for years. Love it, no more carpal tunnel syndrome. And for really big screens or dual screens like I use, it's essential for quick precise movement. Gaming? No problem whatsoever. I find using a regular mouse tedious and irritating.

ultimahwhat

Aug 13, 2008
Pros:
-Using a trackball (new Logitech Marble Mouse) has definitely helped me to reduce extraneous wrist/arm movement and eliminate the associated pain.
-I don't feel like as much of a spaz with sudden movements in TF2

Cons:
-Requires periodic cleaning for smooth tracking (I personally enjoy performing occasional maintenance in general, but others may prefer to set something up and forget about it).
-I've developed a wicked callous where one spot of my wrist rests on the edge of my desk.
-Once you go Track (and like it), you can't go back :p