What are the options to sync files between on the go laptop and desktop at home?

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Hi,

For those of you who use laptop on the go/at work and a desktop at home, how do you sync your works? I think it is a bit inconvenience to copy files back and forth between the two computers.

Also, unlike the Mac, some programs do not allow installation and running on two different computers. How do you resolve this issue without buying an extra copy of each programs you use?

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
I am not quite sure what you mean?

If you are talking about editing files in one place and having them sync in another, I use rsync.

It's a command line tool that's open source and very fast.

You can mirror dirrectories, update only files that have changes, keep the updates only one side, go over lan, wan, vpn, anything.

And once you know what you are doing you can automate it to update every so often if you want to make it less tedious.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I just use a docking station. When I am out of the office, my laptop with just a mouse is fine. When I am in the office, the dock gives me all the screens, normal keyboard, mouse, etc. Works for me.

Reactions: Bardock

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
https://freefilesync.org/

FreeFileSync looks more complicated than it is, once you have set up the sync operation you can just save it as a batch job to automatically do the syncing with the accompanying RealTimeSync app.

Last edited:

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
@Ketchup only thing I would add is obviously image the laptop to avoid all eggs in one basket, but yea sounds a lot easier.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
I setup a Syncthing server between my computers and a off-site server. There is always OneDrive/DropBox/Google Drive, etc.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Agreed, One Drive and Google Drive work great. Plus, you have a defacto backup too.