What are the odds that it could happen?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
That's the thing. I waver between being wary of giving in to my residue-leftist, against-my-better-judgement, excitement at the idea of a major 'crisis'...and then worrying if I'm being too complacent (as many were in '30s Germany - Hitler after all was seen as a ridiculous clown who worked himself up into childish tantrums). The crucial question is what other parts of the system would do if Trump really lost it? I just can't see the US military going along with any kind of coup, so I don't see where Trump can go with this, no matter how severe a narcissistic melt-down he suffers.

It's pretty embarrassing though, to have such an emotionally-incontinent toddler in the top job, both for the US internationally and to any Republicans who aren't fully on-board cult members.

Its this game of incomplete information ... not one move will give him "coup" powers ... but 10.000 might give him a chance at one .. and he keeps flipping over board pieces. What is the amount of critical mass board pieces? Even pondering this question means that things is fucked up. I get you.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
about the same chance as Biden being the 2nd coming of FDR....

FFS if the far right is as organized as some of the rwnj posters in these forums then WTF is your friend worried about OP?!?!

Seriously....

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
about the same chance as Biden being the 2nd coming of FDR....

FFS if the far right is as organized as some of the rwnj posters in these forums then WTF is your friend worried about OP?!?!

Seriously....______________________

I think the concern is more about the attempt than anything else. That someone would be nuts enough to even try it, and that there would be enough someones to go along with the attempt.

Reactions: Perknose

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Trump is clearly trying to stack the deck in the Pentagon to do exactly that.

I still hope that there is still enough integrity and sense of duty to the Constitution that upper brass will refuse to follow what are clearly illegal orders.
I believe there's zero chance of a coup here. Accountable people dislike Mr. my way or the highway in the White House. They are not going to roll over for him. He can fire as many people as he wants, the military is not gonna roll for him. Plus he's chicken shit underneath it all. It will be a shit show all the way to Jan. 20, then the fumigation, transition, feathers settle, hopefully a great first 100 days, and etc. Then, hopefully, the criminality of the miscreant comes back to haunt him for the rest of his life.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I believe there's zero chance of a coup here. Accountable people dislike Mr. my way or the highway in the White House. They are not going to roll over for him. He can fire as many people as he wants, the military is not gonna roll for him. Plus he's chicken shit underneath it all. It will be a shit show all the way to Jan. 20, then the fumigation, transition, feathers settle, hopefully a great first 100 days, and etc. Then, hopefully, the criminality of the miscreant comes back to haunt him for the rest of his life.
His chances of using the military are virtually none, but I don't think he believes that. He see's himself as a dictator with the absolute power over the military, and the courts. He is delusional, and he really thinks there is a chance the military will follow him.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
His chances of using the military are virtually none, but I don't think he believes that. He see's himself as a dictator with the absolute power over the military, and the courts. He is delusional, and he really thinks there is a chance the military will follow him.
His main concern is that his followers follow him. He doesn't want to lose his popularity, his coterie of fawning adulators. That will play out as it does.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
His main concern is that his followers follow him. He doesn't want to lose his popularity, his coterie of fawning adulators. That will play out as it does.
He wants the authority that Kim Jung Un has...

However he must be really conflicted with Kim executing a coronavirus rule breaker. Oooo the authority... wait coronavirus rules?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
He wants the authority that Kim Jung Un has...

However he must be really conflicted with Kim executing a coronavirus rule breaker. Oooo the authority... wait coronavirus rules?
Hmm. Didn't know about that.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Imagine if it had been Ebola? Its their new Hoax Ebola19, the Ccccchina virus... 14 days later all alt right wing nutters dead. Problem solved.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I am DEEPLY shocked that Obama gets it.

""There's no American figure I admire any more than Abraham Lincoln. But, he did end up with a civil war on his hands. I would like to avoid that. I do think that a new president can set a new tone. That's not going to solve all the gridlock in Washington. I think we're going to have to work with the media and with the tech companies to find ways to inform the public better about the issues and to bolster the standards that ensure we can separate truth from fiction." "

He's not wrong.

Problem is members of the media are also members of the alt-reality cult.
So.... they aren't going to all jump on board with integrity, truth, and honor.
At the end of the day peddlers and gonna peddle. And humans gonna stick to tribes. The American tribe is fractured.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I think the concern is more about the attempt than anything else. That someone would be nuts enough to even try it, and that there would be enough someones to go along with the attempt.
Perhaps we need some political "insanity" of someone like a "modern FDR" because the centrist corporatist Bullshit that is pervasive throughout the current political climate in the USA is what gave us Trump.

And going by Biden's boosting of Fucking Neera Tanden he hasn't learned diddly-fuck from the last four years.

________

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Perhaps we need some political "insanity" of someone like a "modern FDR" because the centrist corporatist Bullshit that is pervasive throughout the current political climate in the USA is what gave us Trump.

And going by Biden's boosting of Fucking Neera Tanden he hasn't learned diddly-fuck from the last four years.

________

Who had last Wednesday on their bingo card?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

________
Are you a modern day racist? What do you have against -- Neera Tanden?
Oh wait,,,,I am so sorry, I forgot that your Republican.......that explains your hatred of people who are not "white"!

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Are you a modern day racist? What do you have against -- Neera Tanden?
Oh wait,,,,I am so sorry, I forgot that your Republican.......that explains your hatred of people who are not "white"!

That seems a very cheap debating tactic. There's more to a person than 'not being white'.

Reactions: Ichinisan

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Are you saying I'm not allowed to dislike Priti Patel, then? Or that libertarian and former-RCP 'advisor' to Boris Johnson, on account of their being of Indian origin.

Actually it seems noticable that people of Indian origin in the West have been slowly moving rightward politically. Presumably due to a shared distrust of Muslims, and maybe the influence of Modi's "strong man" regime in India? Hence that Indian flag being flown at the assault on the Capitol. (Edit - obviously I mean those of Indian-origin from the Hindu community. Though another noticable thing is that Muslims from India tend to do better economically in the West than those from Pakistan or Bangladesh)

Not that I know anything about Neera Tanden other than someone called her "one of the more liberal members of Clintonland" - which seems like a really ambiguous description.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Debating tactic? nope...just the truth that you cannot answer......

No idea what you are talking about. What "truth" and why is it up to me to 'answer' it? Are you even aware which posters you are replying to?

In turn, I note you don't answer the 'truth' that there's more to someone than their ethnicity.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
If and when the shooting starts I think most RWNJ would throw down their weapons, turn tail and run after seeing the guy next to him get his head blown off. I just think most are not willing to put their lives on the line, if the shooting of Ashli is any indicator. Once she hit the floor everyone else stopped trying to get past the door.

Reactions: shortylickens

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Who had last Wednesday on their bingo card?
Last Wednesday had nothing to do with NT and everything to do with Dumb AF Trump supporters who in the end if we are fortunate will get Trump convicted on the 2nd impeachment.
As for the other guy who replied...

*crickets instead of what I really think of it and its bloodline that produce it would get me infracted and/or banned*

*e2a*

Also FDR for all of his faults which in the grand scope of things are not that serious...
never tried to start an insurrection like Trump did.
So don't even try to suggest that FDR's "political insanity" is anything like Trump’s or one cannot take anything from you as serious.

______

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
A WHOLE LOT OF YOU GUYS claimed there would never be armed revolution. And I dont know if you meant it would never be attempted. Or it would be attempted but not succeed.

In any case, just about everything since 2016 has taught me we all need to stop saying "it can't happen". All of the ridiculous shit we believed impossible has come true. And its mostly because we couldn't believe it.

Reactions: HomerJS

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
A WHOLE LOT OF YOU GUYS claimed there would never be armed revolution. And I dont know if you meant it would never be attempted. Or it would be attempted but not succeed.

In any case, just about everything since 2016 has taught me we all need to stop saying "it can't happen". All of the ridiculous shit we believed impossible has come true. And its mostly because we couldn't believe it.
When dealing deplorables or despots you are correct. I can confidently say Biden will not try 1/10 the God awful shit attempted by Trump. That won't happen