What are the odds that it could happen?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Not too sure about that. As a former president, he gets lifetime Secret Service protection.

I was just thinking about that today that if the states were able to put him in the slammer what would the SS do? I guess they would stand in front of his jail cell door 24/7.

• Haha
Reactions: dawp and Pohemi

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I was just thinking about that today that if the states were able to put him in the slammer what would the SS do? I guess they would stand in front of his jail cell door 24/7.

My kid brother, is a US Marshall.

His thoughts on that are this. The Secret Service would work with the Bureau of Prisons, and turn the top floor of Trump Tower into his prison cell. The floor directly beneath that would house both Secret Service agents, and federal corrections officers. The elevator access would be restricted to the floor with the guards.

Trump would get regular visitation hours, like any prisoner. The visitors would be required to climb the stairs to the top floor, and I'm assuming the visits would be monitored, with the exception of any conjugal visits with Ivanka.

Phones would probably be restricted, as would meals, but the food would still be better than anything you would ever see in a conventional prison setting.

Just one of many dilemmas that Trump has put this country in. To my knowledge, no American president has ever served time.

I hope goes to SuperMax in Florence Colorado. Mostly because of the classified intelligence that he has in his head.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Agreed. But call me an optimist, I just don't think this is going to happen. Right wing nutters can strut and posture, but when it comes to putting their LIFE on the line, almost all will pussy out.

Before you get all cozy with that idea.....

First, I'll grant you that. What you said is accurate. However, it does not take a mountain to move a nation. Remember September 11th, 2001. 19 men changed the course of our history and we dove headlong into two decades of war and counting in the Middle East. The defiant act of 77 militiamen sparked the American Revolution, among other things. But those "other things" were the boiling of tensions. There is plenty of boiling done today. Maybe not enough to light a spark this year, but core issues will remain unresolved and simply grow worse in future years.

I say... if not today, then tomorrow. And that is not a comforting thought for our chances today.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
My kid brother, is a US Marshall.

His thoughts on that are this. The Secret Service would work with the Bureau of Prisons, and turn the top floor of Trump Tower into his prison cell. The floor directly beneath that would house both Secret Service agents, and federal corrections officers. The elevator access would be restricted to the floor with the guards.

Trump would get regular visitation hours, like any prisoner. The visitors would be required to climb the stairs to the top floor, and I'm assuming the visits would be monitored, with the exception of any conjugal visits with Ivanka.

Phones would probably be restricted, as would meals, but the food would still be better than anything you would ever see in a conventional prison setting.

Just one of many dilemmas that Trump has put this country in. To my knowledge, no American president has ever served time.

I hope goes to SuperMax in Florence Colorado. Mostly because of the classified intelligence that he has in his head.

Slipped that one in, didn't you. Good one.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I wager there has been no conjugal visits with Ivanka for several years now.

• Haha
Reactions: BUTCH1 and Pohemi

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Before you get all cozy with that idea.....

First, I'll grant you that. What you said is accurate. However, it does not take a mountain to move a nation. Remember September 11th, 2001. 19 men changed the course of our history and we dove headlong into two decades of war and counting in the Middle East. The defiant act of 77 militiamen sparked the American Revolution, among other things. But those "other things" were the boiling of tensions. There is plenty of boiling done today. Maybe not enough to light a spark this year, but core issues will remain unresolved and simply grow worse in future years.

I say... if not today, then tomorrow. And that is not a comforting thought for our chances today.

Thoughts on how we can course correct?

Agree that the future looks bleak. Biden probably won't get a lot done for many reasons (many out of his control), and the right will continue to feed the "election fraud" narrative for years. Red wave inevitable in 2022 and 2024? And then how will they govern? Probably pass another tax cut then tap out?

Deep down inside a small part of me wanted Trump to win just so that we would be forced to have some new candidates/ideas/ANYTHING in 2024. Now we're looking at Biden vs Trump AGAIN in 2024....are you freaking kidding me?

Best case scenario: Biden gets the pandemic under control and the economy recovers to pre-COVID levels, aka a period of time similar to Obama's last couple of years. That STILL led to Trump.

Reactions: Jaskalas

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I wager there has been no conjugal visits with Ivanka for several years now.

You'd have to stretch your imagination to approximately the length of five football fields, to consider residing on the top floor of Trump Tower as anything resembling "hard time".

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Did someone say that former-Presidents are entitled to security briefings? Would that still apply in that situation? What if he goes to Russia?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Uh..."people like me"

lmao

Its my opinion, pal.
Yeah people like you who supported Trump for 4 years then deny Trump wouldn't even consider fill in heinous act here.

Obama was born n Kenya is an opinion also , it's just one rooted in Trump ignorance and stupidity.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Did someone say that former-Presidents are entitled to security briefings? Would that still apply in that situation? What if he goes to Russia?
Is that a law or a tradition? I suspect it's just tradition since John Brennan was getting security briefings and Trump cut them off.

Biden had better see to it Trump gets no briefings once Trump is ooo.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Lol. Unless they were in one sentence plus a pictograph form Trump wouldn't pay attention anyway!

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Thoughts on how we can course correct?

Agree that the future looks bleak. Biden probably won't get a lot done for many reasons (many out of his control), and the right will continue to feed the "election fraud" narrative for years. Red wave inevitable in 2022 and 2024? And then how will they govern? Probably pass another tax cut then tap out?

Deep down inside a small part of me wanted Trump to win just so that we would be forced to have some new candidates/ideas/ANYTHING in 2024. Now we're looking at Biden vs Trump AGAIN in 2024....are you freaking kidding me?

Best case scenario: Biden gets the pandemic under control and the economy recovers to pre-COVID levels, aka a period of time similar to Obama's last couple of years. That STILL led to Trump.

Several Trump supporters I know are claiming that the vaccine and the economic recovery will all be humming by January 2021, and of course Biden will take all of the credit for fixing everything, when of course it all happened under Trump.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Several Trump supporters I know are claiming that the vaccine and the economic recovery will all be humming by January 2021, and of course Biden will take all of the credit for fixing everything, when of course it all happened under Trump.
FAKE VIEWS!

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Is that a law or a tradition? I suspect it's just tradition since John Brennan was getting security briefings and Trump cut them off.

It's not a law, more of an internal guideline. And Biden isn't completely in the dark. All former presidents get a daily copy of the PDB (Presidential Daily Briefing) and all former vice presidents get a daily copy of the VPDB, (Vice Presidential Daily Briefing) which is kind of like PDB lite.

It has some information, but not obviously not as much. Joe Biden has been receiving those since he left office, but there are still many things that he's going to be unaware of until he gets the full intelligence reports.

Has anyone considered the possibility that Trump might be doing this to facilitate Putin walking in and taking over without firing a shot?

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Our economy wasn't humming along before COVID, As we went into a recession In February (before COVID) so how do your Trump supporters get that it will be humming along by January 2021 with the battle scars of COVID? Once the Vaccine is distributed, it will still take weeks if not months to see the results of the vaccine, and a year or two for our economy to be repaired from the damage COVID alone has done to it. Specially since many states are now going backwards and re-instating restrictions on it's citizens and businesses in an attempt to get the rapidly growing number of cases that are happening under control, with the hope to slow the deaths that are going to follow. That's without factoring in the damage Trump has done to the economy. (The so called good economy he touted, has artificially been maintained by Trump using every option that is used during a bad economy thru out 2019 to keep it looking like it was doing good, another reason we went into a recession in February).

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I wonder whether the best way to avoid the military support problem is to try and avoid them entirely or for at least as long as possible.

If one had the police backing them (unofficially for as long as possible), combined with dog whistling to Trump-supporting 2A proponents and far-right organisations, perhaps salami tactics, and wield increasing amounts of power unofficially (taking over districts/jurisdictions block by block) until the normal sources of political power are irrelevant.

Salami tactics would also be the best way for conservatives to play 'hear no evil, see no evil' which they've been so very fond of for the last four years.

The main argument against this strategy IMO is "Trump? Using a subtle strategy? Are you serious?".

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Yeah people like you who supported Trump for 4 years then deny Trump wouldn't even consider fill in heinous act here.

Obama was born n Kenya is an opinion also , it's just one rooted in Trump ignorance and stupidity.

Youre wrong again. The Kenyan theory was around long before Trump. It was bred within stupid conservatives. Nice try though.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I am DEEPLY shocked that Obama gets it.

""There's no American figure I admire any more than Abraham Lincoln. But, he did end up with a civil war on his hands. I would like to avoid that. I do think that a new president can set a new tone. That's not going to solve all the gridlock in Washington. I think we're going to have to work with the media and with the tech companies to find ways to inform the public better about the issues and to bolster the standards that ensure we can separate truth from fiction." "

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Youre wrong again. The Kenyan theory was around long before Trump. It was bred within stupid conservatives. Nice try though.
The ONLY fucking point you are making is one everyone already knows: Trump has no original thoughts on his own. Good job. Goooooooood job.
Who the fuck championed birtherism? Was it Trump? Yes it was, to the MAXXXX....
Please stfu.

I wonder whether the best way to avoid the military support problem is to try and avoid them entirely or for at least as long as possible.

If one had the police backing them (unofficially for as long as possible), combined with dog whistling to Trump-supporting 2A proponents and far-right organisations, perhaps salami tactics, and wield increasing amounts of power unofficially (taking over districts/jurisdictions block by block) until the normal sources of political power are irrelevant.

Salami tactics would also be the best way for conservatives to play 'hear no evil, see no evil' which they've been so very fond of for the last four years.

The main argument against this strategy IMO is "Trump? Using a subtle strategy? Are you serious?".
To get the military involved he has to have generals on his bitch list. As far as I can tell he have not.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
To get the military involved he has to have generals on his bitch list. As far as I can tell he have not.

That's the thing. I waver between being wary of giving in to my residue-leftist, against-my-better-judgement, excitement at the idea of a major 'crisis'...and then worrying if I'm being too complacent (as many were in '30s Germany - Hitler after all was seen as a ridiculous clown who worked himself up into childish tantrums). The crucial question is what other parts of the system would do if Trump really lost it? I just can't see the US military going along with any kind of coup, so I don't see where Trump can go with this, no matter how severe a narcissistic melt-down he suffers.

It's pretty embarrassing though, to have such an emotionally-incontinent toddler in the top job, both for the US internationally and to any Republicans who aren't fully on-board cult members.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
The ONLY fucking point you are making is one everyone already knows: Trump has no original thoughts on his own. Good job. Goooooooood job.
Who the fuck championed birtherism? Was it Trump? Yes it was, to the MAXXXX....
Please stfu.

Trump was King of the Birthers.

He hired Sheriff Arpaio and a crack squad of investigators, and man, the stuff that's coming out, it's amazing.

Reactions: dawp and cytg111