What are the odds of this happening?

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Ill try to make them short.

Story 1

I had this task at work, when completed I reply to the email from which the task was sent within the company. One of the people cc'd to the email contacts me and happens to be an old friend(lets call him John) from junior high school I haven't spoken to since, he works 1 floor below me. I tell my friends who also knew him from back then that I ran into John. So the chances of this happening is not uncommon. Among our discussion of the mere coincidence, a known fact was mentioned that another friend of mine from high school(lets call him Doe) whom I also haven't spoken to since happened to work within the company as well. Well I've discovered that he also works 1 floor below me in the same group as John and they've never known each other prior to working here. And this is a big company with over 100,000 employees and has global offices including 5+ here in NYC. It was quite a freak coincidence that 2 people who didn't know each other prior to working together in their group each happen to be someone I knew from different schools. And now I work with them, albeit not in the same group but the same division.

Cliffs:
-Ran into an old friend from JHS whom I haven't spoken to since at work.
-Found out one of the people who works in his group is an old friend from HS I haven't spoken to since.
-Old friend 1 never knew old friend 2 prior to working at this company.
-They both work 1 floor below me, all 3 of us work in the same division(Less than 100)
-Company has over 5 offices in this city(dozens more globally) and over 100000 employees.

Story 2

During a trip to HK, my friends and I were introduced to this guy(lets call him John too) who gave us a mini tour as he knew the area well from travelling here many times. Anyway during our vacation, we took a side trip to Macau and when we got there we ran into John. At the end of the day when as we were heading back to HK, we ran into him again. Fast forward 3 month, we're back in the states. We're at a birthday dinner for 2 friends who shared the same b-day, there were about 16 people, some of whom we've never met and one of them happen to be none other than John. Now the guy who introduced us was not at this party nor is he a friend of or knew anyone there but John so by mere coincidence, John happen to run into us everywhere in 3 different cities via parties that have no relation to each other.

Cliffs:
-My friends an I were introduced to some guy during a vacation in HK
-Ran into him during a side trip to Macau
-Ran into him again the same day leaving Macau
-Ran into him 3 months later on the other side of the globe during a birthday party
-None of the people at the party knew the person who introduced us to the guy so he was there by coincidence. Basically there was no connection between these friends that would lead us to believe we could be expecting him.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
This is what someone unfamiliar with the law of large numbers calls a coincidence.

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
A couple years back I was riding my bicycle coast-to-coast over the course of a summer. One morning, in Capitol Reef National Park, my riding partner and I struck up a conversation with some guy named Tim, who was driving a his Jeep and a UHaul trailer up to Washington. We talk for a few minutes, and we cycle on, he stays to look at petroglyphs.

Two days later, we're slowly climbing up some 10% grade road when we come to a road-construction site. The kind where one lane of a two-lane road closes and traffic has to take turns. So we're at the front of the line, waiting our turn, when up walks Tim, whose Jeep is just a few cars behind us. We're a little freaked out, but we talk for a few minutes, then traffic opens.

Next day we roll up to an overlook at Cedar Breaks National Monument around mid-day. We're looking out onto the hoodoos and who strolls over? Our good friend Tim.

Now I realize that this is in a relatively compressed space/time-frame, but it's always amazed me because of how short our stops were, and that his stops happened to coincide when there's so much road out there.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I know the granddaughter of a guy who has a company I would like to get business from. After a bunch of phone calls all around to try to set up a meeting, I get a call from the guy's right hand man.

Turns out the right hand man was the adviser for my fraternity chapter when I was in college in the late 1980's and I had not seen or heard of him since then.

Small world (and I hope it is a good omen for our meeting).

MotionMan

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
I was engaged to a girl in Michigan. We broke up and broke off contact.

The next time I saw her was six months later at the Viacom store in Chicago. We were both visiting the same town on the same weekend and happened to be shopping on the same level of the same store at the same time.

Small world.

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
I hadn't talked to my high school prom date for 7 years after graduation. later I got into grad school and on the first day during a mixer at a bar I ran into her and found out we were both enrolled in the same program. Mind you we were both from CA and now in NY.

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
Yer gunna have a hard time topping mine.
Was dating this woman whom was in the process of divorcing her husband here in my home town. At the time she was in her late 20's, he was at least 40. Her husband wanted to fight me for the longest time. But we never did, she kept talking him out of it even though I seen his disgust in listening to her.
Fast forward 5 month later, he wound up in jail. 1 month after he went to jail I decided to take a trip to Anchorage from Nome. While walking down C street near Fireweed ln, I bump into a classmate from the third grade whom I have not seen in many years. We decide to take a drive to a little town called Hope where we started drinking our asses off in the yard of a nice summer camp home. He said he knew the owners and it turned out I knew them as well from my best friends girlfriend. While we are partying in the lawn. A car pulls up. Out pops this elderly man and woman and they come over and start talking to us, just as I was about to introduce myself. Out pops the soon to be divorcee. Then the older woman started flirting with me. I was thinking it was disgusting and paid it little mind till the soon to be divorced jerk said, Shut up mom! Quit talking to him. Needless to say I started flirting back with her at that moment. He started getting pissed and I was sure the fight was gunna start then and there. Than she scolded him like a little 12 year old. He walked away and no fight happened. Turns out the owner of the house just wanted them to check up on it.

After leaving Hope to return to Anchorage I decided I needed a new pair of cheap shoes as the ones I was wearing got all muddy and stuff while at the camp. As I was about 30 feet from the entrance at Walmart. This stunningly beautiful brunette woman is exiting the building and walking towards me and my friends. I was about to ask her if she wanted to goto a dance club or get something to eat, but as she got closer I got dumb founded... I know I seen her before and were both staring at each other as were walking by one another. Having not experienced that feeling before I never said a word to her as we passed each other. Then I stopped dead in my tracks thinking I know who she is (turns out my hunch was wrong, way way wrong). As I started turning around and before I can even see her fully. She said to me. Tony!? Is that you Tony? It took me less than a second to recognize that voice. That was the voice of my very first girlfriend. We had broken up not by choice, but her parents decided to move out of Alaska when we were only 13. We ended up sleeping with each other that night. Only for me to hear the news she has to go check into her flight to return to Oregon to return to her family. She only came to Alaska for a cousins wedding.
When she said family, I was thinking she was referring to her mom/dad. But no, she was married and had a son of her own. His first name is my middle name... lol. It has been about 6 1/2 years since that day. I have never heard from her again. :(

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
coincidences like that are just wasted bonus luck points, there goes your chance of winning the lottery because your odd meter was all used up!