What are the Italian's view of Americans in Italy?

Feebes

Sep 12, 2002
I'm heading over to Milan for 6 months to study abroad starting in January. I really dont know too much about how they feel about Americans over there. Anybody been to Italy or live there that can give me some help or some advice? What about the ladies, how do they like the American guys? ;)

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I spent some time in Rome a few years back.....was treated very nicely and the Italian women seemed to love American men. We could go out clubbing every night and not have to go home alone if we didn't want to. A buddy and I took a road trip to Pisa with a couple of girls we met and had a great time. Let me just say that they took good care of us and our "towers" weren't leaning at all.

Feebes

Sep 12, 2002
Hah...Aphex....I am also from the University of Florida and I am also going to be traveling via the exchange program for business. How is everything working out for you. Any tips for the traveler? Is it more or less expensive than you thought?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Feebes
Hah...Aphex....I am also from the University of Florida and I am also going to be traveling via the exchange program for business. How is everything working out for you. Any tips for the traveler? Is it more or less expensive than you thought?

Hahah, SWEET!

Im actually here with 3 other gators... One who is actually one of my flatmates...

1. Medex is crap, dont depend on it. I cant even call the number from the Netherlands (feel free to tell that to Lyn Straka :))
2. Its been about what i expected to pay for things, tax is included so it works out to be the same (no tipping in holland)
3. Classes are easier than high school over here, which is fantastic, gives me lots of time to travel...
4. Everyone has been nice (with the exception of one idiotin a store and one of my flatmates from Belgium), even the people around the city will help me when i get lost and whatnot. They seem to love American style and music here in Europe, so fitting in isnt a problem at all. Alot of people are also curious to talk to Americans, for some reason alot of them look up to us....
5. Everyone speaks english, i can get by without any problems knowing 2 dutch words (astublieft & dank uw well) :)

Granted, your gonna be at a different school, but some things are simular. Im kinda ticked at UF right now for 2 reasons. The first one being that i still havent gotten my scholorship money yet (DONT count on it being your primary source of money while abroad.) Ive been here over a month and i still havent seen a penny. The second being that UF is being a PAIN about one of my classes over here. They refuse to give me credit for an international course that the school here requires me to take.

Besides all that, everything has been FANTASTIC. Im LOVING my time out here (with the exception of missing my girlfriend like hell, but im meeting up with her in London) next week...

Is there anything else you wanna know? Im glad to help a fellow Gator out :)

Orbius

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
Italians love everybody pretty much. Italian men are mostly rouges though so watch, i.e. they lie and act macho, etc.
Italian women though are great! Really great! ;)

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Oops almost fergot: Travel Tips

1. Keep your bags in your hands, there are some seedy people hanging around some of the airports.
2. Dont expect to use credit cards alot over here, for some reason NO ONE takes them in the netherlands (and i assume many other places in Europe). Even big electronic stores wont take them.
3. DO NOT LOOSE YOUR PASSPORT
4. Keep your wallet in your front pockets
5. Look like you know where your going
6. DO NOT LOOSE YOUR PASSPORT :)

As i think of more, ill keep adding to the list...

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Can you enable your PM's?

I have a really good travel tip i would like to share but wouldnt find it appropriate to post here :D

Dhruv

May 15, 2001
I've travelled to Italy to and have had quite a lengthy discussion on this exact topic with one of my Italian (born and raised Sardinian) friends. I asked him in particular because he is a tour guide in Rome, and so comes across Americans constantly. According to him:

1) American girls are easy. He is in a serious relationship so he didn't do this (he says..) but his friend has had *one night relationships* with many American women. he is also a tour guide. his friend would simply say some sweet nothings with his heavy italian accent and he said the American women would fall for that. He said they constantly commented on both of their accents. He's even hooked up with married women.

2) I won't say all Italians, but he thought Americans were brash, and racist people. His girlfriend (American, living in Rome) is blonde hair and blue eyes and he's Southern Italian, and he said when he visited her back home (small town), they got a lot of looks. He also mentioned that most Italians are ashamed of Italian Americans because they were very racist against black people. He said that he has given tours to some AFrican Americans and they commented how nice the people of Italy were, as compared to their experiences with Italian Americans predominately in NYC.

3) Regarding Italian women, he said that it is difficult for Italian men to pick up (and according to him, Italians are the most passionate Don Juan types... yeah, he's cocky) and so wondered how a rude and crude American can pick them up. I think differently though. I think it is very possible to pick up Italian chicks, i did. But, don't go for stupid cheesy lines because being Italian, they've heard it all before, trust me. And, they are probably SICK of that italian accent so a non italian accent is a good change.

btw, THEY'RE FRIGGIN HOT!

4) Avoid political discussions. Most continental Europeans are really against American foreign policy. He wasn't an exception so i kinda laid off the topic. side note: they HATE our good "ally" the Brits. He was a soccer fiend and mentioned how one time when the British hooligans came over to rome, they started a major fight a few years back, harassed the local women, went bar hopping, and trashed the places and didn't pay... on and on... make sure you make it clear you're NOT A BRIT. btw, if you know a bit of spanish it surprisingly goes a long way. french helps too.

5) Dont' dress "American." Those people are very fashionable, and i felt out of place in my jeans and Tshirts. if you want to dress casual, be stylish casual like Bananna Republic or something.

good luck, Italy is a great country. Good food, drinking, happy people. Much better than most other Europeans.

Dhruv

May 15, 2001
Looks like my Italian friend isn' the only Roman male that feels that way...:)

listenin to RHCP right now.. .. damn that new album rulez!

Feebes

Sep 12, 2002
Thanks for all the Info Aphex. I went ahead and enabled PM's....so I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say. I actually have an appointment with Lyn tommorow at 12:30...so I'll tell her about Medex. It sounds freakin awesome in Holland. I hope for the same in Milan.

Feebes

Sep 12, 2002
Drhuf, thanks for the info. I'v heard a few places about the dressing thing. People in Italy, and especially Milan, dress very nicely. I will definatly have to make a trip or two to the mall. My wardrobe of clothes that could be called "fashionable" is dismal. I usually don't concentrate on dressing well....but when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: aphexII

2. Dont expect to use credit cards alot over here, for some reason NO ONE takes them in the netherlands (and i assume many other places in Europe). Even big electronic stores wont take them.

wtf? backwards euros... i used my MC and amex all the time in singapore and malaysia...

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
All you rich people that get to do study abroads... I hate you :p I have to work 2 jobs just to go to a cheapo local college here in the states.

Wish I could do a study abroad in Ireland, but doubt I can get the money.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix

wtf? backwards euros... i used my MC and amex all the time in singapore and malaysia...

I wish i knew why, EVERYONE uses PIN Cards here (what we call Debit Cards). I was kinda pissed that no one takes credit cards, but i guess thats just the way they do it. On a brighter note, i was able to set up a bank account over here really easily. I just took out a chunk of cash from the ATM and stuck it on my card :)

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: datalink7
All you rich people that get to do study abroads... I hate you :p I have to work 2 jobs just to go to a cheapo local college here in the states.

It seriously depends on what type of program you do though. Im on a true student exchange program, meaning i pay my normal in-state florida tuition (which is currently free) and my scholorship went for my plane ticket. This trip cost me nothing... Check around, it is very possible to go abroad without spending an arm and a leg...

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
I think a fair number of Italians are not so fond of Americans (e.g., there are nationalists, skinheads, etc.), but the majority are very friendly. Just don't act arrogant (a major complaint) and do try to learn at least a little Italian before you go. While many people speak English it shows respect for the culture and is definitely appreciated. Just try to fit in as much as possible -- it's one of the most beautiful places on earth and I'm sure you will LOVE it.

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix

I wish i knew why, EVERYONE uses PIN Cards here (what we call Debit Cards). I was kinda pissed that no one takes credit cards, but i guess thats just the way they do it. On a brighter note, i was able to set up a bank account over here really easily. I just took out a chunk of cash from the ATM and stuck it on my card :)

hmmm sounds a bit weird. It is true that few ppl use credit cards (why should they - u can do everything with ur bankcard and cash). But credit cards are usually accepted everywhere (at least Visa, MC and also Amex). Stores just dont like customers paying small amounts of money with these cards (which is also true with the normal bankcards) and might refuse if its below like $5.

skibum827

Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: datalink7

It seriously depends on what type of program you do though. Im on a true student exchange program, meaning i pay my normal in-state florida tuition (which is currently free) and my scholorship went for my plane ticket. This trip cost me nothing... Check around, it is very possible to go abroad without spending an arm and a leg...

I know what you mean. I never thought about studying abroad while in college, ie not enough money, but now that I am graduated, my company has sent me over to Europe to work for 6 months.

While here I have met many international students that are doing internships here through a program called AIESEC. Basically, they work for a european company, and they make enough to pay for their stay and take a few souveniers (Sp?) home. I have met a few other americans who were here through AIESEC, and they seem to enjoy the program. Anybody here worked with AIESEC before?

As for Italy, I was there a few weeks ago on vacation, and the people were very friendly, but be careful of theft. One of my friends had his wallet stolen on the train as we were leaving Italy. Luckily passport and Eurorail pass were put somewhere else. Good luck in Italy!