Question What are the functional reasons for using a case?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
My last build, not sure how long ago but it has an Intel i7 3770k, I did not use a case. I use fan cooled hard drive enclosures. The system is very functional, clean, easy to work on, etc. I am in the process of a new build. My question is am I missing something besides esthetics by not using a case?

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
Besides Aesthetics (Looks)?

Protection for the components from kids wanting to touch, cats wanting to touch, bugs, or physical damage like things dropping on it, liquid spills.

Dust protection/Dust Filters

Directed air flow. I mean, you could point a box fan at all the components, but case fans and cases are usually designed to manage heat in a way that goes beyond just removing heat from the case, but rather directing that cooling air across the motherboard as a whole and other components like RAM with their little heat sinks, etc.

Convenience such as front end headphone/mic jacks or easily accessible USB ports. You can tack on to that things like power button, reset button, or drive bays for something like a multi memory card reader or optical drives.

Portability. I mean, desktops range in size, and they usually aren't purchased for portability, but having it all in a case usually means you can throw it in the back seat of a car for a move, for an event, or whatever.

Reactions: Arkaign

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Hutch summed that up incredibly well I'd say.

Only thing I'll add is that Gamers Nexus on YouTube is an exceptional place to check if you're in the market for a name brand case. They're so thorough that they've actually helped several companies make a revision/fix for the model. A common issue with current-trendy-glass cases is often abominable airflow. Meshify C is a good affordable option with glorious cooling airflow. As with everything, it gives and takes, more airflow = dust it out more often + generally slightly more noise (unless a case with poor airflow is overheating so badly that the poor fans ramp up to Beelzebub RPM levels).

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
One word for you at least with my experience and that would be

CATS

I love my kitties but i don't like them nosing about the puter. I got this kitten just about hopped into my Antec 900 when i had the guts out swapping out my heatsink recently.