What are the disadvantages of using a TV instead of a monitor?

darth maul

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
For gaming it will be fine. For reading these forums, or any text for that matter, you will go blind with in a week, ;). Ok maybe not blind, but it will be REAL fuzzy looking compared to even a bad monitor.

pyr

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
generally you will be limited to 800x600 or lower res, and it will look really fuzzy as people pointed out. if you have a really large TV tho it would be nice for games. I have a TVout on my TNT2U and I never use it (I have a 19" so its not like a TV is going to help or anything)

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
I have a computer connected to a 35" TV and it is great for watching DVD's and playing games. But it's dreadful for anything text-based. Like others have said you will likely be limited to 800 x 600 and definitely be limited to 60 Hz vertical refresh. I also use it with Winamp to play mp3's over my stereo, the text in the file selection box is blurry but with a little tweaking of brightness, contrast, and color controls it's OK. Still wouldn't want to use it for anything more text-oriented than that, though.

TimTim

Banned
Jul 4, 2000
YEP, GREAT FOR GAMING, but don't plan on using TV for surfing the web or anything TEXT based.

But it really is good for gaming and the resolution (while lower than a monitor) still looks good!!