What are the disadv. of overclocking?

SnailBoy

Aug 13, 2003
Advantage to OC'ing : You saying, "Me overclock CPU" :)
Disadvantage (to not OC'ing) : You saying, "Me not overclock CPU" :-(

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Yes! Overclock, but in moderation.

Advantages: Free performance due to low cost processor performing like a higher/more expensive speed step.

Disadvantage: Overclockers Addiction

infinite012

Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Killrose
Yes! Overclock, but in moderation.

Advantages: Free performance due to low cost processor performing like a higher/more expensive speed step.

Disadvantage: Overclockers Addiction

heh...I overclocked my toaster :p

Henny

Nov 22, 2001
The advantages are psychological. You end up getting more than you paid for which makes you happy when you see the POST speed or some esoteric benchmark score. It's also a fun challenge.

The real life benefits are negligable. The 10-20% gain will be barely perceptable in ordinary PC usage.

The disadvantage is an unstable system or a CPU that goes POOF. The other disadvantge is cost. Those heat sinks supplies, premium motherboards, fast memory, fancy cases, round cables can add up fast.

P.S. I'm an overclocker

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Henny
The advantages are psychological. You end up getting more than you paid for which makes you happy when you see the POST speed or some esoteric benchmark score. It's also a fun challenge.

The real life benefits are negligable. The 10-20% gain will be barely perceptable in ordinary PC usage.

The disadvantage is an unstable system or a CPU that goes POOF. The other disadvantge is cost. Those heat sinks supplies, premium motherboards, fast memory, fancy cases, round cables can add up fast.

P.S. I'm an overclocker

You may be an overclocker but not a good one then!!! I had a 1.6a that was oced to 2.74ghz...I saw in real world applications that time the process (no sandra benches or 3dmarks) an increase well over 20%...In divx encoding I saw an increase of over 50%....IN autocadd rendering I saw more then 20%....

Also when I oc'd the fsb on the cpu I also took my ram from 266mhz to 410mhz and gained there....

With my 2.4b I am oc'd at 3.24ghz with 450mhz ddr and even that over stock 2.4b was more then 20% in quite a few apps....

It wont make the internet faster!!!!Duh!!!

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Advantanges to overclocking without physcial mods or overvolting = lettle mo speed.

Disavantages to overclocking wpmoo ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ = lettle mo heat.

that's it. Case closed.

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
Disavantages to overclocking:

Empties my wallet for a hobby that is supposed to be Saving me money......
rolleye.gif

mindwreck

Golden Member
May 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Duvie
Originally posted by: Henny

P.S. I'm an overclocker

You may be an overclocker but not a good one then!!! I had a 1.6a that was oced to 2.74ghz...I saw in real world applications that time the process (no sandra benches or 3dmarks) an increase well over 20%...In divx encoding I saw an increase of over 50%....IN autocadd rendering I saw more then 20%....

Also when I oc'd the fsb on the cpu I also took my ram from 266mhz to 410mhz and gained there....

With my 2.4b I am oc'd at 3.24ghz with 450mhz ddr and even that over stock 2.4b was more then 20% in quite a few apps....

It wont make the internet faster!!!!Duh!!!

Overclocking helps alot. even my 224mhz oc on my tbird shows some noticeable improvements. things render and load faster by at least 10-15 seconds. Im a man thats hates waiting so anything that makes this POS load faster, Im in on it.

Its also fun and addicting. :D

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
There really isn't a disadvantage.

Ya, you do produce a bit more heat, but not by much...

It's almost stupid not to do in moderation....

<- Speaking from a 1ghz overclock...

bootoo

Apr 13, 2002
I think a little overlooked advantage to overclocking semi-seriously is the knowledge you gain. I never really understood what the northbridge or southbridge controlled or how the front side bus affected my agp or pci slots till I started messing up.

If you're already knowledgable overall you can ignore this.

My ego is a lot bigger now. It needs its own chair next to mine at the computer desk.:D That's the other thing my nice little overclock got me! Plus my daughter runs screaming from the room when 3dmark starts to run and I have the den to myself...

Disadvantage? I want a different mobo and ram so I can get more!

fell8

Nov 12, 2001
Disadvantage: May void warranty (virtually impossible to prove unless you fry the CPU)

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
when you overclock, you are never satisfied. As a result you'll end up spending wads of cash and gaining those extra megahertz becomes an obsession. If your a casual user, save yourself the trouble and don't overclock.