What are the camping essentials?

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
My son's in the cub scouts and we'll be doing some camping this summer.

I just bought a tent and some sleeping bags.

What other gear should I get?

Czesia

Nov 22, 2003
Not exactly an essential, but it's nice to bring some fishing rods and tackle if there's a chance to go fishing. :)
Oh, and don't forget your toothbrush! ;)

Ogg

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2003
The older you get the more you need a sleeping pad to go under your bag. Especially anwhere cold!!!
A closed cell foam pad (like the Z Rest) is standard for our family and even better is a self inflatable pad that gives you two inches or so of fluffy comfort

Text

:beer:

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
For a cubscout... I'd send him with a sleeping bag, two complete warm changes of cothes, an extra pair of underwear and socks, LAYERABLE warm clothing (fleeces, heavy socks), a flaslight, pillow, toothbrush, toothpaste a bag of candy, his gameboy, fresh AA's and a new game. He'll love you when he's warm and happy and nobody else is in this MISERABLECOLD.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
water filter if you need to filter your own water
freeze dried food(just add boiling water)
sunglasses
sun tan lotion
rain gear(i have a hat and poncho that fits over pack)

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
oh, nm... didnt see that it was for summer. lol.

cubscouts like bug netting and OFF and as much candy and gameboy crap as they can carry :D

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: blackdogdeek
sunglasses
sun tan lotion

the kid is freaking 11 at the oldest?!??! youre gunna send him with a 120$ water filter??? this list is even heavy for the most seasoned boyscout! I didnt even bring my own water purifier when I went through Philmont....

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
Originally posted by: acemcmac
sunglasses
sun tan lotion

the kid is freaking 11 at the oldest?!??! youre gunna send him with a 120$ water filter??? this list is even heavy for the most seasoned boyscout! I didnt even bring my own water purifier when I went through Philmont....

if i was going to send my son into the woods for an extended period and they weren't hauling their own water, $120 is the least i would pay to make sure he had a clean water source, no matter what his age.

every multi-day backpacking trip i've been on we've needed a water filter.

GroundZero

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
try looking on the cubscout book that he has...
look at the camping badge and see what the book says he will need.

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: acemcmac
sunglasses
sun tan lotion

i bought my filter (msr miniworks) for something like $60. the katadyn hiker filter is also in the same price range as well as the sweetwater guardian. i dont really suggest the SW though, was quite disappointed with its performance one time out. purifiers are unecessary in the united states and canada - but in other parts of the world they are suggested more often than not.

along with the water filter i suggest at least a 1 liter water container, more if you are not hiking along a water source. if you can shell out ~$15 more, the camelback type hydration systems are very useful and convienent to have - you dont have to break rhythm in order to hydrate and therefore will drink as you need it, instead of waiting until you REALLY need it. i use a 2 liter platypus system.

dont forget sunblock, deet (aka bug repellent), and a good wide-brimmed hat. also a pair of light camp sandals are sometimes nice to have. dont forget toilet paper if he is going out backpacking.

i dont hike in boots - good tennis shoues with support will do him fine, and will be more comfortable.

feel free to pm me if you have any other questions...

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
it's all about comfort: good hiking boots & socks, wide & warm sleeping bag,
ground pad.