What are the best high-performance water cooling set-ups?

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
I'm interested in watercooling as a means of giving my computer SLK900 w. Tornado 90mm performance without sounding like a helicopter. I know with watercooling it can be a mixed bag, with performance ranging from mediocre to excellent, so what are the best performing ones currently out there? I want to know brand and cooling performance. Cheers! :D:beer:

lchyi

May 1, 2003
NEFer! Hehe :p.

Anyway for watercooling, the best of the best out there is Danger Den blocks (IMO). You can get the complete set (CPU block, GPU block, and NB block) for about $160 bucks give or take a little. Then I would go for a Eheim pump which is a seasoned veteran in the water pumping industry. As for radiators, those are a mixed bundle. It depends on how big or small your case is or much you're willing to sacrifice weight for performance. But Danger Den makes a fairly good batch of those as well. Then get some Tygon water tubes and BLAMMO, world class water-cooling performance.

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
Well cheers anyway Cesar, it's always nice to get a reply.:eek: Well i'm getting an Antec AMG100 and it's a nice big, roomy case so space won't be a problem. I've heard of the Danger Den ones and knew they were good, and if theyre the best i'll give them serious consideration, cheers! :beer::)

Match

May 28, 2001
I don't know about pre-built systems, but if you want to assemble something yourself...

The best cpu block that I've heard of is the Cascade. It's designed by a guy in Australia and right now I think he's just working through a machine shop to get blocks out. You can check out this thread for more info.

For a pump, I second the recommendation for an Eheim, and I've also heard that danner mags are very good. If you have money to burn, Iwaki is supposed to make the best, but I think their pumps are well over $100.

As far as a radiator goes, get a heatercore for a car. Get one that would allow 2x120mm fans if you have the room. Heatercores are pretty efficient and they have relatively low flow restriction. You can just go to your local autoparts store, or even a junk yard to pick one up. This will save you money over buying a "watercooling" radiator which I don't think would have any advantage in performance, but would cost you more.

GAZZA

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: Match
I don't know about pre-built systems, but if you want to assemble something yourself...

The best cpu block that I've heard of is the Cascade. It's designed by a guy in Australia and right now I think he's just working through a machine shop to get blocks out. You can check out this thread for more info.

For a pump, I second the recommendation for an Eheim, and I've also heard that danner mags are very good. If you have money to burn, Iwaki is supposed to make the best, but I think their pumps are well over $100.

As far as a radiator goes, get a heatercore for a car. Get one that would allow 2x120mm fans if you have the room. Heatercores are pretty efficient and they have relatively low flow restriction. You can just go to your local autoparts store, or even a junk yard to pick one up. This will save you money over buying a "watercooling" radiator which I don't think would have any advantage in performance, but would cost you more.

Ditto to what he said, couldn't have said it better !

To add to the waterblock a more cost effective buy would either be the DangerDen maze 3 or 4.

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
So how much do you reckon a decent rig would set me back then(In $ i'll convert it to £ later)? :beer:

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Richdog
So how much do you reckon a decent rig would set me back then(In $ i'll convert it to £ later)? :beer:

Eheim 1046 Pump - $50
Innovatek/Swiftech CPU Block - $35-45 (Copper)
Innovatek/Swiftech GPU Block - $25-35 (Copper)
80MM Swiftech Radiator - $45 (Copper)
Innovatek resevoir - $14.99
2X 80MM Panaflo L1A - $14.99
Cables/ties- ($2-10)

Pretty rough estimate. But I assure it's worth it. Everything runs cool, quiet.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: KGB
Originally posted by: Richdog

Eheim 1046 Pump - $50
Innovatek/Swiftech CPU Block - $35-45 (Copper)
Innovatek/Swiftech GPU Block - $25-35 (Copper)
80MM Swiftech Radiator - $45 (Copper)
Innovatek resevoir - $14.99
2X 80MM Panaflo L1A - $14.99
Cables/ties- ($2-10)

Pretty rough estimate. But I assure it's worth it. Everything runs cool, quiet.

Yep :D... or you can knock off another $30-40 by using a T-line instead of a reservoir and if you're good with your hands, get a chevette heater core from autozone or something and fabricate your own shroud. :)