what are the best Car Audio Woofers?

hpkeeper

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
The best for the cheapest price? I'm gonna be needin' to buy some in a few weeks time... hook me up with what you know.

ThE KeEp

GD695372

Oct 24, 2000
Rockford Fosgates are the best subs, I hear.

At some point you have to compromise between price and performance, and are you talking about subs or woofers(somehow I think you're talking about subs)?

SmiZ

Oct 6, 2000
If you don't have a subscription to crutchfield, I would get one. Probably the best place to look at car audio components. (you can get better prices) Their mag, which is free, has in depth specs for all their products.

Anyway, about speakers, it all depends on your budget. JL makes excellent woofers, but they are kind of pricey. MTX makes some pretty good mid priced speakers. Your best bet is to go to a CC or BB or somewhere that you can listen to what they have and decide what you like.

divinemartyr

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2000
I used to own some of the Alpine ZR series woofers. For the price you can't beat them. They can handle 1000 watts (the 10 and 12 inch versions) and they put out TONS of bass. I think the 12's can be picked up for about $200 a piece now. At the time I picked mine up they were about $275 each. They also make a dual voice coil version if this interests you.

UPDATE: It appears as though Alpine has changed the model number of this subwoofer, it is now the SWR-1240 (for the 12inch model) it's essentially the same subwoofer. It looks just like the old ones I have, with a possible enhancement to the surround on the cone. You might look into these. =) They rocked my car for 1 1/2 years until someone else stole all my equipment. =(

dm

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I got (2) Polk Audio EX10's and they pound. They handle about 400-watts max each or 150-watts RMS. Right now I have them wired to just my deck and they're sound good. Pushing only 22-watts RMS into each sub. ;) They're only like $120.00 for two of em if you find the sale at Circuit City. :)

-MzTyKaL

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Depends on what you want in your system. If you're the extreme basshead type, go with a proven SPL woofer, like a DD9x1x. Do you like tighter bass, lower bass, etc...what are your prefs? If you want it to sound good, but still get plenty loud, go with Infinity Perfects, with 600 watts apiece, or Alpine Type R's with the same wattage. The Type R's are cheaper than the perfects, have the same SQ, and get a bit louder. Ask Q's and i'll try to answer as best i can.

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
Hey BigPoppa (or anybody), is it true that for tighter bass samller is better than bigger (ie 8" vs 12")?

And would a single be adequate for a generation 3 Accord ('88)? I just want good tight bass, not a boomer.

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
Generally a smaller sub will have tighter bass, but won't go as low or loud as a bigger sub. More importantly is the box in which it is installed. For tighter bass, definately go with sealed over ported or bandpass (which sounds the worst imo, it's what those idiots with bass louder than anything else waking you up at night use). The tradeoff with sealed is that it's less efficient, meaning you'll need a bigger amp for it to be as loud.. as for brands..it really depends on your budget for the whole thing. brands to stay away from definitely would be stuff that you get at best buy..like sony, jensen, etc. rockfords are pretty good for the money. i personally have a polk ex 10" in mine powered with 200w. It's pretty decent and cheap (i got it free so even better) but it's like 50 bucks for one. i really like JL's subs too..they're a bit more expensive.

hpkeeper

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I heard that those infinity Kappa perfects where pretty good too... not to mention they're not too bad in the price range that I'm looking at. I'll look into the other ones as well

BowDown

Banned
Jun 2, 2000
I had a pair of the Kappa's in my car. The amp I was using was way underpower, and they still sounded decent. ;)

You should hear them in wengert's car now :). He has 300watts going into each of them. Kicks! I got them for a really good deal; you might be able to find them for around $200 each.

lsd

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2000
For the best for the least amount I'd get the bottom of the line Fosgates. IF you want to go all out just get 1 cerwin vega Stroker :)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Some of the best names include: Infinity, JL Audio, and Polk.

I have 2 JL-W610's in my car and they absolutely slam.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
I don't know if they are still in business but I used to know a guy who worked for AVI and they were pretty good.

Cheers,
Aquaman

Doodoo

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2000
Strokers sound like ass. They get real loud with a ton of power though. Check out the JL w6's, IDQ, perfects, DD's, Exacts, CMPs, or Eclipse. I prefer the IDQ, CMP's, and Eclipses.

Passions

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
I saw some peeps with massive capacitors in thier trunk, can someone tell me wuts da purpose for those? storing charge?

jacobnero6918

Sep 30, 2000
I have two JBL 1500GTi subs and they just slam but are ultra tight. I drive them with a Hifonics amp.

If you want a good small box I would go with the Perfect 12 from Infinity. Can fit in a box smaller than 1 cubic ft and still sounds really good. I've seen the Perfect 12 advertised for $149 each which a great price for a high quality sub.

If you want all out top of the line bass go with the seismic system 8196e sub. It's a real low Q driver so it actually sounds great in a vented box. I have a friend who put 4 of them in a van. It is awesome bass!

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Bobby, it keeps the amp(s) from hitting on the battery for power. Sometimes an alternator can only supply so much power, so a Cap is sometimes required to give the amp(s) more juice.